Vortex 98 trial on my Stivo..

After Dylan's Vortex 98 powered Stivo pumped out 115kw atw STOCK (more than 2 other Stivos with TRD CAI and using BP Ultimate :ph34r: ), i decided to give this fuel a go and pumped 42litres in today to start off the trial. I got a brochure on the fuel and from what i read i honestly don't think there will be much difference using Vortex 98 and BP's Ultimate since both companies say there is a detergent added to their high quality 98 Octane fuel. Shell's Optimax is different from what i hear as they use detergent and octane booster.

So here goes nothing! :D

Edited by ZEEROLLA

hmm... hopefully this will hit the other states soon....I'm also ken to run  the IFS 99RON up here for a couple of thanks to see how it goes

keep us peeps posted zee ;)

Only 1/4 way through my first tank sorry guys :( but i will hopefully be giving it some good booting this weekend and will keep using this petrol for a while so stay tuned for updates if yous interested :P

• 4 weeks later...

I been driving on the Vortex fuel for about 2 weeks ... its much smoother in shifting gears but as for economy its just the same .. 600-610... power dun feel much diff.

:unsure:

You mean Vortex 98 (98 Octane) or Vortex (95 Octane)? I have been using Vortex 98 and BP Ultimate, don't really feel much difference but it will come down to cost for me.. whichever is cheaper i go for it ;)

I been driving on the Vortex fuel for about 2 weeks ... its much smoother in shifting gears but as for economy its just the same .. 600-610... power dun feel much diff.

:unsure:

You mean Vortex 98 (98 Octane) or Vortex (95 Octane)? I have been using Vortex 98 and BP Ultimate, don't really feel much difference but it will come down to cost for me.. whichever is cheaper i go for it ;)

vortex 98 octane... these dayz petrol so expensive .. used to put $50 unleaded for full tank .. with vortex turns out to b like $62-65 ..

Im gonna be trying BP ultimate next .. :blink:

was on OCAU forums the other day and came across this seemed relivent to the topic,

BP Ultimate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the things we do in the NSW WRX Club is to have monthly meetings where members can get together and have a chat to other members face to face over a snack and a drink. At these events we also try and get a guest speaker to address the membership over just about any topic. Last night we managed to secure a representative from BP to talk to us about what makes BP Ultimate the next Big Thing in petrol products.

I have to admit, you get a lot more respect for a product when you know how it's made, what's in it and what it does for both your car and the environment. So much so, I almost got the feeling that 98 octane should be legislated to be the minimum octane any car should have.

Now obviously 98 octane fuel can be made differently and one can be vastly more environmentally devastating than the other, but BP Ultimate is an extremely clean fuel and gives you a performance boost - who could ask for more?

Some of the things we learnt last night:

BP Ultimate is currently employing manufacture standards that will be mandatory for all fuel manufacturers from 2007 or 2008 (from memory) and have done so since the year 2000.

Tests of Ultimate on a wide range of cars from older to current across many makes and models both performance and non-performance marques showed an everage performance increase of 8.3%.

Ultimate has three times less sulphur in it than regular petrol, resulting in significantly lower emissions.

Ultimate actively cleans your engine (he showed us some intake valves that used regular BP 91 and BP 98). He even described how they got a V8 Commodore and modified the fuel system with a split tank so that four cylinders ran on a tank of 91 and the other four ran on a tank of 98 to show how much cleaner Ultimate was on the same car after 15,000 kays.

BP has proven in tests that Ultimate is not only cleaner, but increases accelerative ability and vastly increases fuel efficiency. You can see video evidence of this on the BP website: Clicky

Ultimate can actively clean an existing dirty engine.

Ultimate is not just for performance cars and is of benefit to older cars too. The extra fuel efficiency may save you money in the long term despite the higher pump price because your tank lasts longer and therefore you fill up again less often in the same year as with regular fuel. For example, in one of the demo videos, two identical Camry's, driven at their most fuel-efficient point, saw the one filled with Ultimate to be able to travel 55 kilometres further than the car with BP 91RON in it.

Ultimate in the United States has a clear water appearance to it (can't remember the reason why).

BP were the first to phase out the use of lead in petrol.

Japan's 100RON fuel is in actual fact 98RON. Theoretically there should be no need to de-tune a Japanese-spec car as long as you ran it on 98RON here.

BP ships Ultimate ranging from 100 to 101RON from the refinery, but because the fuel has to be shipped to Sydney and other cities from Perth and Melbourne, by the time it gets to your car, it drops to 98.

BP guarantee that the fuel will be no less than 98RON by the time it gets to your tank. In some cases, it will be 99RON.

Ultimate has a 1 year shelf life if stored in a proper sealed fuel container. After that, the fuel is still usable, but it is no longer guaranteed to be 98RON.

Ultimate loses a few octanes if sitting in your car's fuel tank for more than 3 weeks.

Adding octane booster to Ultimate is probably not a good idea and is likely to dirty your engine more than what 91 by itself would (chunkier deposits making the fuel heavier).

Seems the government in its infinite wisdom defined 91RON as the lowest octane fuel that should be available and this was done as a means of conserving resources. Unfortunately this actually means we impact the environment more with emissions. We should have adopted the European standards of no less than 95RON.

We have approximately 20 years of oil reserves.

The reason BP does not produce a 100RON product for the pump is that you "take away" octane numbers from other fuel products. A refinery has a limited number of resources that must be distributed across their entire range of fuels. Even to guarantee 99RON at the pump would mean that 91 and 95 octane fuels would probably lose an octane or two in manufacture.

The speaker was very friendly and was very open to questions, answering every one that was thrown at him and these ranged from discussion about general car performance to what-if scenarios.

This is one of the great benefits it is to be a member of a car club. BP are actively trying to become involved with car clubs because they are the people who are passionate and can appreciate a purpose-manufactured product. 

- HyRax1, OCAU.

rest of the thread

Edited by Northy

• 3 months later...

So what's your conclusion on Vortex 98 ZEEROLLA?

I've just tried Vortex (95) for the first time yesterday.. Compared to 98 and normal ULP, 95 feels really flat for some reason?

Changing from ULP to 98, the difference can be felt pretty much straight away...

But changing from ULP to 95.. it feels like there's a massive power loss..

This is in a 122 BTW.

So what's your conclusion on Vortex 98 ZEEROLLA?

I've just tried Vortex (95) for the first time yesterday.. Compared to 98 and normal ULP, 95 feels really flat for some reason?

Changing from ULP to 98, the difference can be felt pretty much straight away...

But changing from ULP to 95.. it feels like there's a massive power loss..

This is in a 122 BTW.

Good petrol! I've never tried Vortex though, only Vortex98. I've been using it for the last 4 months now. Plus you get the 4cents off at Woolies' pumps that offer Vortex98, although not many places have that. Fuel economy has been reasonable and comparable to other fuels.

But seriously with the petrol prices being so high i think i will be filling up whereever its cheaper. Just make sure its 98Octane or higher ;)

At the moment it seems like Vortex holds better economy value for me..

I'll need to do a proper measurement though.

A full tank of ULP/Vortex98 usually lasts me about 4-6 days (500-580km~) depending on how much I feel like travelling..

We'll see in a few days how 95 holds up compared to 98..