oil leak at oil filter base

is just a weep but now

much more noticable

its leaking between the base of the oil filter and engine block

it has two flexiable hoses running out of the base

they are in good condition and not leaking

hopeing it will just be an 0 ring

what has to be done to fix it

Have you tried putting a new filter on lately? If so, how tight do you do it up and do you remember to put a thin film of engine oil on the gasket?

If not, when you do so, firstly apply a thin coating of new engine oil to the gasket and make sure the mating surface on the engine block is clean. Then when you tighten it, from the moment the gasket appears to make even contact with the engine block, you just have to turn the oil filter another 2/3 to 3/4 of a turn tighter. The box the oil filter comes in would most likely specify this.

Then see if it leaks again after all that. I know it may sound a bit basic, but it's not something I would rule out completely.

Edit: I realised what Hiro has said below. I was basing my post on the assumption that it could be closer to the filter side of things due to the way the question was worded.

Those two hoses will be for the oil cooler. Is it for the AE82 in your profile or another car? Some cars pump engine coolant through the sandwich plate to act as an oil cooler, others draw oil from there and send it to a mini radiator at the front of the car, so it could be either oil or coolant lines depending on which car you have

I'm assuming the car has been regularly serviced over those 9 years, so you can basically rule out the o-ring on the oil-filter itself as a culprit, so it'll come down to the oil cooler sandwich plate, whatever seals it has, and how the hoses connect to the fittings. Wouldn't be too hard for a mechanic (or a home mechanic) to diagnose and fix, nor should it be that expensive (as long as you don't have to remove the engine to machine mounting faces etc).

By the way, how have you managed to get through rego for 9 years with an oil-leak? Most places I go to crack down fairly hard on that kind of stuff, especially oil (as it creates a hazard for other road users in sufficient quantity)

By the way, how have you managed to get through rego for 9 years with an oil-leak? Most places I go to crack down fairly hard on that kind of stuff, especially oil (as it creates a hazard for other road users in sufficient quantity)

no yearly inspections here... woo!

thanks for all the information and feedback

didn't know about the oil cooler bit

the oil leak is between the oil cooler.

and the engine block

oil filter not leaking at its seal

its a weaping leak not a drip type leak

so thanks to everyone

it has to be the 0 ring under that oil cooler

will degrease the area again

then fix it

Edited by dirty hands