Poor economy from 2000 Corolla Ascent auto

Hi all,

My first post here ... how's it going?

My wife has a 2000 Corolla Ascent auto with about 138000 kilometres on the clock. We bought it a couple of months back hoping to get decent fuel economy out of it, but we're consistently getting 10 to 11 L/100km. We had it serviced a few weeks back, and we told our mechanic about the problem. He did a regular service, but he could not find a problem.

After going for a few weeks, I noticed that my wife had left the overdrive button on, which I thought would be causing the fuel economy problem (do people notice a difference with that??). However, we turned the overdrive off, and it looks like we're still burning through the fuel at the same rate.

Fuel type used is always regular unleaded (not 10% ethanol).

Driving is almost entirely in the city - short trips down to the shops and that's about it. I know this is not ideal, but that's all my wife needs it for.

What economy are most people getting with city driving with the AE112 Corolla?

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thanks for your help.

driving in the metro area with stop start traffic often makes the engine drink more. 10-11lt/100km seems respectable for me considering it's an auto not a manual(manual helps in fuel economy). my aurion gets around 14lt/100km per tank if driving in the city.

driving in the metro area with stop start traffic often makes the engine drink more. 10-11lt/100km seems respectable for me considering it's an auto not a manual(manual helps in fuel economy). my aurion gets around 14lt/100km per tank if driving in the city.

Agree,2000 corolla is not fuel saving as the recent one

Hi all,

My first post here ... how's it going?

My wife has a 2000 Corolla Ascent auto with about 138000 kilometres on the clock. We bought it a couple of months back hoping to get decent fuel economy out of it, but we're consistently getting 10 to 11 L/100km. We had it serviced a few weeks back, and we told our mechanic about the problem. He did a regular service, but he could not find a problem.

After going for a few weeks, I noticed that my wife had left the overdrive button on, which I thought would be causing the fuel economy problem (do people notice a difference with that??). However, we turned the overdrive off, and it looks like we're still burning through the fuel at the same rate.

Fuel type used is always regular unleaded (not 10% ethanol).

Driving is almost entirely in the city - short trips down to the shops and that's about it. I know this is not ideal, but that's all my wife needs it for.

What economy are most people getting with city driving with the AE112 Corolla?

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thanks for your help.

Here is some information for you regarding this particular car, I have a conquest model and I don't even notice haha

http://redbook.com.au/used-cars/details.aspx?R=100701&__Qpb=true&Cr=1&__Ns=p_Make_String|0||p_ClassificationType_String|0||p_Family_String|0||p_Year_String|1||p_SequenceNum_Int32|0&__N=2994%204294942755%204294842757%204294965872&silo=1300&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=14&__sid=12D4890899E3

Sounds about right, I get roughly 8L/100 in the 102 (it's manual), but most of my trips are at least 20 minutes long and involve 80/90k zones, so I can easily see an auto 7A getting 10L or so in stop-start CBD-style traffic.

And overdrive would have very little if nothing to do with fuel consumption around town, it's a myth/throwback to the days when cars had seperate overdrive gearboxes - overdrive in a modern auto is simply top gear, and most transmissions will stop it shifting into o/d when the engine is cold or when road-speed is too low anyway.

Yeah, like the others said, the older Corollas aren't as economical as the newer ones. I know this first hand because I used to drive a 1998 1.6L AE101R CSi Corolla and that averaged around 11L/100KMs in the city, my 2003 1.8L ZZE122R Corolla now averages 9 to 9.5L on a city cycle... which is wonderful. :)

My AE112 chews through fuel aswell, used to average around 400-450kms to a tank using regular unleaded, mix of city driving and freeway...

Will be interesting to see if it uses less when I rebuild the engine and freshen everything else up...

Have never used a full tank in the Sportivo, always fill up when it gets down to about half cause thats when fuel is cheaper and best to date is 425kms to half tank using Caltex 98...

• 2 weeks later...