Audio install shop in Melbourne

Echo_23

I'm looking for someone to install a new headunit in my Echo as I'm not confident yanking the trim panels out....

Not really that scared of the electrical side of the installation, its just taking the original trim and headunit out that scares me.

Anyone got some suggestions on what headunit to get and also a wiring diagram? Mine's a 2003 model.

Is Incar any good? http://www.incarsound.com.au/audioandvideo.html

Edited by Echo_23

The echo fascia is a piece of cake to take out. I think there is even a diy on Ozecho for it.

From memory, remove the three fan and heater control knobs, remove the screws beneath them, remove a single screw which is hiding on the passenger side up the top of the fascia and then yank the fascia out.

I found this earlier: http://wwww.gordosoft.com:443/echo/Toyota%20Echo%20radio%20replacement%20guide.pdf

but I can't seem to get the bottom trim panel out, and after my attempts I couldn't get the top right hand corner back in correctly....

My car also came stock with a double-din, not a single.

Did you have a link to the ozecho guide? Can't seem to find anything....

Edited by Echo_23

I'm pretty close to you actually, so that would be handy.

I'm guessing I'll need a harness adapter (not keen on cutting up the stock harness) and heatshrink if any soldering is needed? What headunits should I be looking at? Any other parts I need?

ive always been a JVC type of person but that said anything with a warranty and of good rep such as pioneer , kenwood all of those big names will do that job , a double din unit would be nice but thats entirley up to you and what you want. Harness can be obtained from super cheap auto.

I was thinking of getting an Alpine double Din actually. http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=48

but it doesn't seem to have aux-in listed despite having ipod connectivity.

Correct wiring harness? http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Aerpro-Harness-Iso-Connector-Late-Model-APP0141.aspx?pid=11550#details

Also, would the standard trim panel need to be modified to fit the headunit (ie would the plastic surrounds on whatever headunit I get be too thick or wide to fit)/do I need a dash kit?

Thanks for the help - Its greatly appreciated :)

Edited by Echo_23

I would hit up eviltwin for some assistance.

When is comes to Head decks, its purely personal choice. I have stayed clear of Pioneer and Sony, not worth the effort. JVC are ok for the money. I would lean more towards Clarion and Kenwood. If you got the cash, go eclipse!

The same theory can be applied to Single or Double Din.

• 2 weeks later...

So I purchased an Alpine headunit and pocket. Everything on the bottom half went together relatively ok (save for some slight scratches on the trim thanks to my clumsiness) but I seem to be having trouble putting the panel that holds the aircon switches back in. I have a feeling something doesn't line up, as after reassembly the aircon outlet and temp rotary knobs are stiffer than before to operate whilst the centre one is fine.

Any offers of help would be grealy appreciated.

Edited by Echo_23