Towing a Jayco Expander with hilux sr5

larso

Hey Everyone,

I have a 2006 Hilux SR5 4X4 V6 Auto that i love. We are looking at buying a Jayco Expander 17.56-2 the ATM WEIGHT IS APPROX 2200kg

Can anyone tell me what i need to do to the car regarding tranmission ( remember have no idea about engines ) im a chippy not a mechanic!!!

I would like to hear from anyone with experience in towing with the sr5 preferably a caravan

Regards

Larso

Hey Everyone,

I have a 2006 Hilux SR5 4X4 V6 Auto that i love. We are looking at buying a Jayco Expander 17.56-2 the ATM WEIGHT IS APPROX 2200kg

Can anyone tell me what i need to do to the car regarding tranmission ( remember have no idea about engines ) im a chippy not a mechanic!!!

I would like to hear from anyone with experience in towing with the sr5 preferably a caravan

Regards

Larso

Hi Larso I also have a Hilux.A 2007Dual Cab 4.0 V6 Auto.We have a Coromal Twin Axle poptop 16ft with an ATM of 1550kg.You state the Jayco has an ATM of 2200kg,just be carefull as the hilux Towbar has a maximum tow weight of 2250kg and just as important a TOWBALL weight of 225kg max.Our van comes in at 140kg towball weight.

I supplemented the original trans cooler in the radiator with an additional large Haynes alloy unit.It fit beautifully behind the grill and all up with everything I needed it cost me a little over a third of the price I was quoted to have it done.I made the mounting brackets out of 6mm alloy flat bar,and at the end of the day looking at it you would swear it was a factory install.I purchased everything off the same reputable transmission workshop including the FULLY SYNTHETIC transmission OIL (which is totally compatible with the Toyota Oil. BE WARNED DO NOT USE normal DEXRON in the Toyota.

Hope that helps you out Larso, cheers CONROD.what state you in if you dont mind me asking

Edited by CONROD