Yaris fuel consumption

wesleypen

Hi everyone,

I have a Yaris YRS 2010,Auto. I was planning to spend less on petrol when I bought it, but apparently after driving the car for about 10 months, I came to understand that the advertised fuel consumption figures are just exageration. all you can go is 350 km in the city and just a little bit over 400 km on the highway. If you make a complaint to the service, they will give you a list of what wrong you are doing, but never they accept that 700 km on one tank figure is just a mith! I used to have a echo-2000, and it was much more economical on petrol than yaris. other than fuel consumption, the car is great. but, people buy this car generally for its advertised fuel economy.

Thats the difference of the manual and auto car.

I drive a manual 1.3 L yaris, I constantly get 600-700 km per tank, that is average of 6.5L/100KM. Even in summer with 90% AC use, the fuel consumption also returns under 7L/100km, and no matter how deep I kick the pedal the fuel won't affect much.

The worst fuel consumption I got is 7.5L/100KM in summer and heave traffic jam, the best I got is 5.5L/100km on highway.

I drove a 1.3L auto yaris before on 90% highway around 1300KM and 10% city suburb. I was shocked it returned 7-8 L/100KM.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a 2010 Yaris Sedan Auto. Normally it does around 12km / 1 litre in traffics.(when i'm going to office). But on Saturday i had a long journey(300 kms) and car did 15km / 1 litre. My car has 7,100 kms milage. Hope these figures will help.

Edited by mudi269

• 1 year later...

That seems like unusually bad fuel economy figures. I've had a manual 2010 Yaris 1.3L since new and I've always had great fuel economy on it. If I don't have time to fuel up and leave it to the last bar flashing I've managed to get around 650km out of it before refuelling. Often I measure my fuel economy when I refuel. My all time best was 5.5L, but usually it hovers around 6.2-3L / 100km which I think is quite reasonable. I mainly do highway driving on it, but I often drive it to uni in the city and even being stuck in stop/start traffic doesn't ruin the fuel economy too much... maybe a tiny bit but still no more than 7L /100km.

Does everyone here race their car all the time or something? Or is it the auto that sucks up the fuel.

Edited by MercuryXR7

I think its the useless 4spd auto thats the issue... because the 5spd manual + the 1.5 will get good fuel economy even when flogged.

That sounds like it could be it. I think for these really small cars manual is the way to go, as every horsepower is needed and auto results in lower power and fuel economy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've read right through this topic, and I just need to ask, what sort of terrain is being traversed when these bad fuel economy figures occur? When I bought my manual 2012 Yaris, I did test drive an auto, but found it to be shocking to drive up hills (my test drive was around Ashgrove/Kelvin Grove here in Brissie, where its pretty undulating road. I reckon at least half of my daily commute involves some decent hills, and I reckon the auto would have struggled with that had I bought it.

My trip computer shows a pretty constant 6.5 litres per 100 kms, which equates to over 600 kms on a full 42 litre tank. Doing some manual figures show the computer is fractionally optimistic but close enough to not worry about it.

I recently drove my Yaris on a road trip (Brisbane - Dubbo - Bathurst - Sydney - Coffs Harbour - Brisbane) and it averaged 5.9 litres per 100 kms, mostly on cruise control but with air con and plenty of roadworks on the southerly run.

• 6 months later...

I bought my YRX auto 5dr hatch in 2007 brand new. It started off doing 550 till the fuel light flashing. After years of travelling (100k on the clock), upgraded to 16' rims and v-power all the time, it is now doing about 350-400 city driving till the light comes up.

• 5 years later...

Hi , I drive a 2018 toyota yaris 1.5 xs cvt auto. Getiing under 400km on a tank. Freeway driving , doing +- 80km a day. Anyone else having this problem ? even when I fill the tank range shows +- 360-400 kms. Bear in mind got this car second hand. Driving it for 2 weeks now. Car is only doing 15000km

Edited by Afsal

• 7 months later...

I just purchased a beat up old 2000 echo sedan.

With the mighty 1.5 litre engine

And an automatic.

I drive around 150-170 klm a day to and from work, mostly highway driving.

I have filled my tank 3 times now and I'm amazed that a 20 year old car, obviously mistreated, automatic and with an engine obviously running less than perfect can achieve the mileage it can

3 fills.    5.6l/100k.      5.7l/100k,      5.5l/ 100k.

I don't take it easy, sit between 105 and 110 and use the air conditioner quite regularly.

This is an amazing car, I actually enjoy driving it, even with its little foibles. 

Extrapolating on the current figures

I should be able to get a comfortable 650 k to a tank.

But I must admit the fuel gauge is a little suspect.

Every time I fill up it shows a different level.

Sometimes more and sometimes less.

At 488k at the last fill, it only took around 23 litres.

That means I still had around 20 litres left.

Love this little bomb

• 1 year later...

A 2003 1.3 manual Echo at 194k km 

It looks terrible but mechanically is pretty sound, and apart from replacing the usual consumables the engine has never had any other work on it.

Our petrol prices in Adelaide vary by up to 40 cents over a price cycle so I always fill up when I think it is at the lowest price point, and calculate the actual consumption from distance travelled and quantity put in to 2nd click on the pump.

Most driving is Adelaide urban and consumption is entirely dependant on traffic conditions and distance travelled. A short trip with cold engine is a killer for consumption but after 1.5km the revs settle, the cold coolant light goes out and then reasonable returns are possible.

Around town my calculated consumption on refill has varied from 4.8l/100 to 6.2L/100 but usually 5.5L/100.

My daughter borrowed the car yesterday for a 590km round trip and refilled with 36 litres, which is 6.1l/100, and she is a total lead foot and would have been at the speed limit the whole journey. I once did the same trip and averaged about 4.9L/100 but there was a catch as I had not been out of town for a year and the wheels were so unbalanced I was unable to exceed 80kph without fear of damaging the car and had to go by backroads to avoid the heavy traffic.

The trick to getting good consumption around town is to anticipate the traffic to avoid unnecessary braking. Slow acceleration does not save much petrol and just annoys other road users so I usually get into 2nd asap and rev to the urban speed limit and shortshift to 4th or 5th. I am more conservative if I am the only one on the road.

Love driving the car and looking forward to replacing the really awful tyres on it soon.

• Like 1