Transmission Gone?????

SCOOTA44

My transmission went into a crazy fit today. It would go all jerky then drop into neutral,it made strange noises similar to "staight cut gears". now here's the strange thing, if i switched the car off leave it for a minute or so then start the car it would work again changing normally, then it would go on a tantrum again. I hope this is an ECU related problem, either way its gunna cost $$$$$$

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been driving extra hard lately? Might have cooked your transmission oil. Check the levels etc. if your running low / without oil it'll just eat itself and need replacing. If its cooked it'll be 'ok' after a little while but not as good as normal and should be replaced, it'll be pitch black if you cooked it.

Been driving extra hard lately? Might have cooked your transmission oil. Check the levels etc. if your running low / without oil it'll just eat itself and need replacing. If its cooked it'll be 'ok' after a little while but not as good as normal and should be replaced, it'll be pitch black if you cooked it.

MMMM No harder than usual, it is a taxi with 210k on the clock. guess i will find out in the morning.fluid was changed at 150k.

MMMM No harder than usual, it is a taxi with 210k on the clock. guess i will find out in the morning.fluid was changed at 150k.

Mate give us a call at work tomorrow after you have run the IT over it and know what it reckons is wrong with it.

My first thought that it must of been low on fluid when you first phoned me but if it was flushed at filled 60k ago it should be ok but worth getting checked just the same and like you described n the phone about it been ok when you turn it off and back on so could be an ECU thing or speed input sensor gone spastic? But yeah let us know when you find out see what can be done :)

Mate give us a call at work tomorrow after you have run the IT over it and know what it reckons is wrong with it.

My first thought that it must of been low on fluid when you first phoned me but if it was flushed at filled 60k ago it should be ok but worth getting checked just the same and like you described n the phone about it been ok when you turn it off and back on so could be an ECU thing or speed input sensor gone spastic? But yeah let us know when you find out see what can be done

Will do mate, hope to know early.lots of work on tomorrow :(

Did a 30 minute ecu reset this morning, got going went for over an hour perfectly, then just when i thought it was good, off it went again, now at co-op waiting for a dignosis. the scan tool my mech used showed an error in the tourqe converter not locking as well as other non specified errors.

And now the verdict: TRANS GONE. they removed some fluid out and dark and chunky.So replacement will be here friday and ready that night. the cost 10 grand fitted including the tourqe converter. Thought a new one was better than 7 grand for a rebuild. :(

How can it go when you changed the fluid?? I guess this should be a lesson for everyone here that decides to drive their aurions hard(tracking them etc) to change the fluid! Luckily I changed mine only 7k ago :)

How can it go when you changed the fluid?? I guess this should be a lesson for everyone here that decides to drive their aurions hard(tracking them etc) to change the fluid! Luckily I changed mine only 7k ago :)

sometimes you just never know whats round the corner. you can mother your car and it can still fail, I've seen it happen to my collegues.

sometimes you just never know whats round the corner. you can mother your car and it can still fail, I've seen it happen to my collegues.

Ouch crap that hurts hay :-/ !! if we had a day or two i could of got the tranny and torque converter in for you and sent it down to Hobart try and save you afair bit of dough but you really need her back on the road asap hay. I worked some figures out today (even had to whip out the calculator "n" all) Is the work been down through Co-oP?

Ouch crap that hurts hay :-/ !! if we had a day or two i could of got the tranny and torque converter in for you and sent it down to Hobart try and save you afair bit of dough but you really need her back on the road asap hay. I worked some figures out today (even had to whip out the calculator "n" all) Is the work been down through Co-oP?

Yes co-op doing it. tranny will be installed friday.

And now the verdict: TRANS GONE. they removed some fluid out and dark and chunky.So replacement will be here friday and ready that night. the cost 10 grand fitted including the tourqe converter. Thought a new one was better than 7 grand for a rebuild. :(

just adding my 2 cents,sorry for my rudeness here but, R U F%^kin serious? why would you as a taxi operator even THINK about a new tranny? even a rebuild is beyond a joke.

im sorry again but $10k is ridiculous. i operate 2 taxis here ,one is an 07 aurion with 395k and the other is an 05 camry v6 it has 565K.the aurion had the gearbox stuffout at 310k (fluid was changed every 70k kms )and rebuild wasnt even an option, as far as replacement goes,a second hand box from a local wrecker cost $1345 with 50k kms warranty (taxi noted) and 8 hours labour.the box had 60K on it when i put it in.

sometimes you need to think outside the square.

incedently, the 05 camry still had original tranny so YES the aurion gb r nowhere as hardy as the car it replaces,TOYOTA TAKE NOTE.

still wouldnt go back to fords where something drops off or breaks daily.

FAT

Edited by fatsatman

just adding my 2 cents,sorry for my rudeness here but, R U F%^kin serious? why would you as a taxi operator even THINK about a new tranny? even a rebuild is beyond a joke.

im sorry again but $10k is ridiculous. i operate 2 taxis here ,one is an 07 aurion with 395k and the other is an 05 camry v6 it has 565K.the aurion had the gearbox stuffout at 310k (fluid was changed every 70k kms )and rebuild wasnt even an option, as far as replacement goes,a second hand box from a local wrecker cost $1345 with 50k kms warranty (taxi noted) and 8 hours labour.the box had 60K on it when i put it in.

sometimes you need to think outside the square.

incedently, the 05 camry still had original tranny so YES the aurion gb r nowhere as hardy as the car it replaces,TOYOTA TAKE NOTE.

still wouldnt go back to fords where something drops off or breaks daily.

FAT

thanks for the input FAT, if i didnt panic so much about getting it back on the road i might have maybe looked for a second hand one.you changed fluid every 70k and still it failed ! there seems to be a pattern forming. I agree about the camry i had a 2003 v6 had 364k when i changed and it was better i think.

For $10k, I'm fairly sure you could do a manual conversion. Mind you, there would be a bit of DIY, so less labour costs, but still.

Just saying'.

For $10k, I'm fairly sure you could do a manual conversion. Mind you, there would be a bit of DIY, so less labour costs, but still.

Just saying'.

Hi Daryl, yes would be a good thought. but dont want to start the ( manual, rear wheel drive) brigade again :P

Hi Daryl, yes would be a good thought. but dont want to start the ( manual, rear wheel drive) brigade again :P

I never said RWD. That's just pushing the envelope further. A direct auto to manual conversion though while keeping it FWD would be quite feasible.

I never said RWD. That's just pushing the envelope further. A direct auto to manual conversion though while keeping it FWD would be quite feasible.

Yes i agree, there are those who that go on about rwd and manual ( myself not included)I dont want to stir that pot.Just a manual version of the aurion would be interesting.

Just an update. On reflection I did notice that the trans was changing from second to third slowly and the same going fifth to sixth almost slipping type sensation a couple of days before it died. Spoke to the dealer today and they going to replace the radiator as well,because they couldn't guarantee that they could flush it out properly, this will be done at no extra. also i asked them to do a post mortem on the box,so we can get a better idea what went wrong.i will post results when they arrive.

Just an update. On reflection I did notice that the trans was changing from second to third slowly and the same going fifth to sixth almost slipping type sensation a couple of days before it died. Spoke to the dealer today and they going to replace the radiator as well,because they couldn't guarantee that they could flush it out properly, this will be done at no extra. also i asked them to do a post mortem on the box,so we can get a better idea what went wrong.i will post results when they arrive.

first thing i did when i put the replacement in was put a separate tranny cooler in,davies craig one for a V8 from supercheap $100, seems to take alot more stop/go (standard taxi use) before it feels sloppy which what i always noticed with the original box.it would get sloppy when it got hot. post mortem on my box showed the main clutch bearing suddenly parted company and shrapnel went through the whole box.

r u running LPG? i have landi renzo gas conversion and it always shifts much more abrupt on lpg than petrol.im sure this adds to its demise.

we also have 1 operator here who has been operating an avalon for 6 years (same running gear as camry v6) and he got 650k out of his original tranny ,i feel confident mine will go that far too but no hopes held for the aurion,,, personally i think toyota need to take a step back to the prev drivetrain,not as rip ya head off power wise,but much hardier all round.

FAT

Edited by fatsatman

It’s worth remembering of course that the old Avalon/Camry power train was far more grandpaish when compared to the power train in the Aurion. The 36 series never really went they was just smooth and of course you just wacked the auto in D and tended to leave it there as there wasn’t much point in changing it. Plus it was just a dead basic four speeder and it had an external cooler to help out as well which if you believe the research can easily double the life of the tranny. looking at the Aurion you have far more power (more power at the wheels then the 36 series did at the crank)6 speed box with a manual over ride so between that and far more useable power and torque and the ability to use a decent amount of engine braking the tranny is up for a much harder time but does without a trans cooler.. That’s why when i learnt more about what an eternal unit can do for a tranny it was the next mod i did lol, worthwhile thing for $100!

first thing i did when i put the replacement in was put a separate tranny cooler in,davies craig one for a V8 from supercheap $100, seems to take alot more stop/go (standard taxi use) before it feels sloppy which what i always noticed with the original box.it would get sloppy when it got hot. post mortem on my box showed the main clutch bearing suddenly parted company and shrapnel went through the whole box.

r u running LPG? i have landi renzo gas conversion and it always shifts much more abrupt on lpg than petrol.im sure this adds to its demise.

we also have 1 operator here who has been operating an avalon for 6 years (same running gear as camry v6) and he got 650k out of his original tranny ,i feel confident mine will go that far too but no hopes held for the aurion,,, personally i think toyota need to take a step back to the prev drivetrain,not as rip ya head off power wise,but much hardier all round.

FAT

thanks for the post mortem on your box, be interesting to see what the result of mine is. if there are any similar problems. No i dont run LPG.