Need 1992 Celica ST184 Engine Help

Tom Bailey

Hello fellow Toyota owners, I currently have a problem.

My problem is not that i have purchased a beautiful 1992 celica. The problem is that it has a 2.0L 3SFE Engine sitting in it... I have heard from many sources that these cheap engines are poor replacements and are prone to fatal problems. Because of this i want to remove this engine ASAP!

I have been doing some research and have discovered that there is a 2.2L camry 5S-FE engine (The same as the original 2.2 in the celica) These engines will ofcourse both fit.

So what do i want you may ask? I have already answered my own question... Well in a way yes, but i would LOVE to gain alot more power if possible due to a more radical conversion. I was wondering if there are any bigger 4 cyl engines or a v6 (even better) that will not be too difficult to put under the hood of my celica.

If anyone has heard of anyone doing this or even better done it themselves i would greatly appreciate your feedback/advise.

EDIT: Turbo is NOT a solution, as much as I hate it I am a P plater and i'm stuck being one for another 2 years, so any non turbo solutions would be appreciated...

THANKYOU in advance :D

post-23704-0-94608900-1300963838_thumb.j

Edited by Tom Bailey

Are you 100% sure its a 3SFE... an ST184 should have a 5SFE in it, so i would be checking that if i were you.

Your options are as follows;

3SFE - Seems you allready have this, would be a very stupid conversion idea though, they are underpowered... only plus side is they are cheap and very reliable.

5SFE - This is what you SHOULD have, much better daily drivability than a 3SFE (more power, much more torque)... also very cheap and reliable

3SGE - The 'high performance' NA engine that was in the model celica... probably the best you are going to be able to do legally, a bit more expensive to acquire but still very reliable.

What you cant do;

3SGTE - GT4 turbo engine... would be quite fast, but not an option on your p's

3VZFE/1MZFE - Camry V6 engines, while it CAN (and has) been done, its expensive, hard and not legal for p platers.

Thanks man, Definately a 3SFE... was converted by the guy who owned it before me. Definately agree that it lacks a lot of power aswell. Will still look into v6. Pretty sure it would be legal on p's I havn't heard of a v6 that isnt.. If not the 3SGE sounds good. Thanks for the advice...

Thanks man, Definately a 3SFE... was converted by the guy who owned it before me. Definately agree that it lacks a lot of power aswell. Will still look into v6. Pretty sure it would be legal on p's I havn't heard of a v6 that isnt.. If not the 3SGE sounds good. Thanks for the advice...

I can only speak for QLD law, but if its not an engine the car originally came with (5SFE, 3SGE) then it requires a LA1 coded mod plate and is illegal to drive on your P's.

AFAIK that technically means the 3SFE is illagal too, but no one would ever notice or know.

Further reading;

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Getting-a-licence/Car-licence/Restrictions/High-powered-performance-vehicles.aspx

• 1 month later...