not really WTB - more EOI, but not

White Lightning

Hey guys,

1MZ-FE engines are easy to find, however having some difficulty tracking down an E153 manual gearbox. Has anybody had any luck tracking one down previously and if so what kinda money do they sell for on average?

Did we plant a little seed about this? When I did the manual swap it was $600 being fairly rare to find. But this was done through "city parts" where they are like agents and source it for you so it may cost more this way.

Did we plant a little seed about this? When I did the manual swap it was $600 being fairly rare to find. But this was done through "city parts" where they are like agents and source it for you so it may cost more this way.

good to know... still undecided as to which way I go atm... 2ZZ-GE's are rare to find too but go for about $1600 (not including wiring loom or gearbox) which is an expensive exercise when for $1100 - $1300 roughly u can get the 1MZ-FE + manual gearbox (from what you've said)... only problem is that amount of power going to the front wheels. Although other front wheel drives punch out higher kw's... and the corolla already has 4 wheel disc brakes, the power to weight shouldn't be an issue. Shoe-horning the set up into the small engine bay might be. All in all - more expensive 2ZZ-GE which would be easier to fit, or the 1MZ-FE which is cheaper to purchase but may cost more to fit if possible at all...

OR

I could just leave it alone and wait til its paid off and get something else... in the meantime while I stew over it I can focus on Project: Kei...

on that note, does the E153 out of the AW20 - AW22 MR2 have the same fitment, i.e. transfer case and belhousing? if so there are more E153's for them advertised than there are for the Camry Touring / Sportivos.

lol if you can fit a 5sgte, you can fit a 1mz since they are both from Camrys. :P

The E153 are available on the V6 Camrys, GT4 Celicas and the MR2. If you get the MR2 you will need to mod the selectors input to the other side of the box to run it as fwd. The GT4 needs a bit more work but you can block it off and make it a fwd too.

Too much power to the front wheels? Pffft! 540hp at the front wheels is still drivable as proven by Tonythetiger :P

Too much power to the front wheels? Pffft! 540hp at the front wheels is still drivable as proven by Tonythetiger :

That guy...

... is a God.

lol if you can fit a 5sgte, you can fit a 1mz since they are both from Camrys. :P

The E153 are available on the V6 Camrys, GT4 Celicas and the MR2. If you get the MR2 you will need to mod the selectors input to the other side of the box to run it as fwd. The GT4 needs a bit more work but you can block it off and make it a fwd too.

Too much power to the front wheels? Pffft! 540hp at the front wheels is still drivable as proven by Tonythetiger :P

It may just be me but the 1MZ looks bigger than the 5SG...

And I still wanna make it legal, so 540hp at the front wheels is all good in theory, but i won't even be coming close to that and I don't wanna get pulled over and not have a leg to stand on. Isn't the 5SG a 4 cylinder? (I'm just guessing based on the fact its 2.2L). So my best options to find a box would be an E153 out of a camry, but failing that one out of an MR2 would be my next best choice?

It may just be me but the 1MZ looks bigger than the 5SG...

And I still wanna make it legal, so 540hp at the front wheels is all good in theory, but i won't even be coming close to that and I don't wanna get pulled over and not have a leg to stand on. Isn't the 5SG a 4 cylinder? (I'm just guessing based on the fact its 2.2L). So my best options to find a box would be an E153 out of a camry, but failing that one out of an MR2 would be my next best choice?

The 5S-FE is a 2.2lt 4cyl... the 5SG is a hybrid motor made from a 3SG head and a 5S Bottom end.

Any E153 will be fine, alhtough the GT4 and MR2 ones will need some work.

Have you concidered doing a 4AGZE (or GTE) or 20V swap... would be MUCH easier...

Stu doesn't like that idea at all. I mentioned it to him on Thursday night.

The 5s and 1mz comes from a camry so in reality if you can fit one you canfit the other. But maybe the 5sge or even a 3sge however 3sge would probably cost more.

And if you can find a gen4+ camry 5speed, it would be easiest. On the other hand if you aren't going for huge torque then the 4 banger gearbox could work and is cheap too. Mick wouldknow more about them.

The S53(4 Cyl Camry) gearbox should be good for 300whp before it goes kaboom, i'll try push that theory as much as possible. Stu the 5S-GTE is what I'm currently building, well it may be a 5S-GE for a while.

The S53(4 Cyl Camry) gearbox should be good for 300whp before it goes kaboom, i'll try push that theory as much as possible. Stu the 5S-GTE is what I'm currently building, well it may be a 5S-GE for a while.

the other option is going for an auto box and making it a GT style cruiser... auto box is easy to find, but once again shoe-horning that in as well as a big engine may be an issue... kinda like that idea tho...

1MZ-FZE w/ 4 speed auto (and possibly some sort of squential auto set up) could be interesting... get some aftermarket cruise control on there...

Eh?

Your's is an auto???

Eh?

Your's is an auto???

No, I was saying that an auto for lazy driving could be interesting if there was some way of making a sequential auto modification i.e. paddle shift on the steering wheel for ****s and gigs...

The auto is bigger and heavier. And not suitable if you want more torque than a stock 1mz. Mine started dying a year and a bit into boost.