suspension options for my MCV36R

jinskies

looking for what my options, and your opinions are.

Looking to lower my ride by a few centimetres and upgrade from stock. what do you recommend?

Well from experience, King Lows will only lower the car about an inch from stock. If you've done more than 90k on the shocks I'd recommend replacing them with a quality shock like a KYB excel-G. So a low spring + KYB shock will give you an increase in handling/driveability (especially if you have worn shocks) and lower your car at the same time while keeping your car within very close limits of the original driving comfort.

If you feel the low spring drop is not enough you can go to a superlow spring. The King Superlows dropped my Gen5 another 10mm in the front and another 20mm in the rear. However, you don't get any extra handling gains but the car becomes quite stiff and in my opinion, a little on the hard side (but still softer than coilovers). This is a good way to get the car as low as you can without having to spend the $$$ on coilovers.

If you want a performance shock option, Koni will make up a shock to suit the Gen5; but I believe you will need to source your own strut housing; I'll double check to confirm this. I have a set of Koni Sport's in Bilstein strut housings but it wasn't cheap (From memory, $1800 for a set of Koni vs ~$550-600 for a set of KYB).

Coilovers are the other option. These will give you the ability to change your ride height to whatever you desire + you will get good handing from these. However, even at the 'softest' setting the coilovers will be as rough as guts; you will lose the majority of your driving comfort. I believe D2 and K-Sport offer coilovers for the Gen5, but I never really looked into it.

In the event you go a shock combo, I have some low km KYB-excelG shocks and/or King Low springs here if you are interested. PM me if you are.

In summary:

- If you are looking for ultimate handing + customisable lowered looks and willing to comprimise drive comfort: Coilovers

- If you are looking for good handling + lowered looks + unwilling to sacrifice drive comfort: quality shock + low springs

- If you are looking for a good handing + as low as you can looks + willing to sacrifice comfort + unwilling to break the bank: quality shock + superlows

- If you are looking for great handing + one of option 2 or 3: Performance shock + spring of your choice.

I've done option 2 then option 4 (with 3).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

legend and a half mate, thanks alot for the input, you told me what a needed to know and more, yeh im considering on just buying the kit u have on you, what would u recommend? the kings or the shocks?

legend and a half mate, thanks alot for the input, you told me what a needed to know and more, yeh im considering on just buying the kit u have on you, what would u recommend? the kings or the shocks?

If you go shocks, you will need springs. If you go coilovers you won't need anything else.

As for what I recommend? It's hard to recommend anything given your needs will vary from someone elses. Ask yourself what you want from your car and what you do with it and choose an option that will suit your needs/wants.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to dig ups old thread.

Try yellow racing $1295 for coil overs

For comparison pedders shocks / springs / new bump stop kits are $1k

Yellow racing

CAMRY 02-06 YS01-TY-DPS006

front spring rate 8/448 rear spring rate 5/280 $995

Edited by Cbr600

Sorry to dig ups old thread.

Try yellow racing $1295 for coil overs

For comparison lessees shocks / springs / new bump stop kits are $1k

Yellow racing

CAMRY 02-06 YS01-TY-DPS006

front spring rate 8/448 rear spring rate 5/280 $995

I bet they are for a 30 series Camry and not a 36 series Camry.

Pedders are the only mob that have an off the shelf kit for the 36 series.

• 1 month later...