HID light emitance

Ok got the 35W 6000K HID kit installed in the low beam, i find during the night and especially during rainy periods they don't seem to be bright enough and don't produce enough light like i thought they would (compared to my 2000 Camry)

What i want to know is what wattage are people running 35 or 55 watts for low beams...

Is there any way to make them slightly brighter from what i have ?

Thanks in advance :idea:

Your 1st problem is the K you are using. Using any light with blue in it will make it harder to see in the rain and fog. I find 4300k no problem for night driving and rain.

Going with 55w will give you a minimal gain in light performance but it will also increase blinding more people so i highly don't recommend going to 55w.

Edited by A Buff Hamster

Yea i wanted 5000k but the Cnut's at the shop refused to get them in so i had no option but to go for 6000k. long story short i got my HID's eventually but now very unimpressed with the quality of light. I want the white look of the globe but also a good performance (may need to bight the bullet and go even lower in the Scale as u say 4300 :\ .

I might have to repurchase another set of HID's in the future when i get a new job that dosen't actually pay peanuts as currency :P

Thanks for your input there Hamster

you'll generally find the 6000k performance in rain to be weaker when compared to the 4300k.. but definately not horrible.. (i travel up and down reid hwy most nights without any problems, even in the crud weather) ive been using 6000k for a while now and have no complaints so far... what brand HID kit did you get??

i did go 4300k philips for a while, however i missed the white/blue look and went back to 6000k..

I use 6000K 35W HIDs on my car and in these rainy days i find them doing pretty good..i used to have 8000K ones and that i can tell you makes no sense in the rain..and i dont find a great visual difference between 5000 and 6000 so went for 6000...ofcourse the 4300 ones will look better in the rain but thats going back to like having halogens when it comes to colour..if you look carefully even the halogens arent great in heavy rain either..its just that u see that yellow colour a bit more clearly than the white light hitting water :)

Brand - Unknown just some cheap ***** from Motorquipe in Carosmell >_>

Me using HID's about 2-3 years, first time using them with projector assembly tho.... I have a feeling i may need a different Kelvin maybe 4300 ? just hate using them in the wet as its really bad light on the road........ Break in time is normaly about 16-20 hours burn time (mine be around the 50 mark now as i drive day and night with lights on )

Phillips all the way mate! Like most things in life you get what you pay for and Phillips and Osram are the best at this Xenon HID stuff.

Also it may pay to get your alignment checked as well as bad aiming can cause quite a poor light output performance :)

Phillips all the way mate! Like most things in life you get what you pay for and Phillips and Osram are the best at this Xenon HID stuff.

Also it may pay to get your alignment checked as well as bad aiming can cause quite a poor light output performance :)

Ok where do you obtain such quality in Perth lol as i dont trust EBAY (bad dealings in past with HID's)

And my alignment should be ok ill have to get it checked later.

Best place to get Phillips is direct from Phillips or big brand auto stores like auto barn. there are genuine sets on eBay but you need to make sure it has Phillips signature HID if you look at the "globe" there difference and you can tell a fake from a real Phillips in seconds. Also there is packages that use Phillips "patented design" but there still not genuine Phillips just using there basic design and concept which is good and better than the cheap kits but still not quite as good as the proper Phillips. if you have some Phillips that you may think are fake you can check it out much in the same way we can with our ultra racing products by putting the serial in this website here.

http://www.apr.lighting.philips.com/burner/Template%20B1.htm

Best place to get Phillips is direct from Phillips or big brand auto stores like auto barn. there are genuine sets on eBay but you need to make sure it has Phillips signature HID if you look at the "globe" there difference and you can tell a fake from a real Phillips in seconds. Also there is packages that use Phillips "patented design" but there still not genuine Phillips just using there basic design and concept which is good and better than the cheap kits but still not quite as good as the proper Phillips. if you have some Phillips that you may think are fake you can check it out much in the same way we can with our ultra racing products by putting the serial in this website here.

Since when did Philips produce HID kits that come with a lamp base other than the D2/D4? As far as I was aware, Philips only truly produced these design HID lamps for automotive use. Anything else is either a copy, or a disassembled Philips lamp then placed into a traditional automotive bulb base.

Since when did Philips produce HID kits that come with a lamp base other than the D2/D4? As far as I was aware, Philips only truly produced these design HID lamps for automotive use. Anything else is either a copy, or a disassembled Philips lamp then placed into a traditional automotive bulb base.

yep, ive been running genuine philips kits in mine for a while now.. no complaints.. i have run the "philips patent kits" before and found they did have a bit more flickering after a while, even with relays installed.

Yeah Kits are available; just have to be in the know. As some of you may know i also work in the music industry as a Lighting Designer and pretty much all the top branded intelligent lighting fixture manufactures all use either Phillips or Osram lamps (this is why these two make the best, the have the most experience) so anyway i spoke to our Phillips rep and he was able to organise the suckers for me.

Phillips Patended is the next best thing but quality still isnt quite there but still better than Tungston Halogens :)

• 2 weeks later...

Mate, I have used 35W for 3 years until recently I changed them to 55W, much brighter. I reckon the change is more noticable than from 6000k to 4300k. Use your 35W 6000K ones as your foglights and get 55K.

Pray you don't blind cars in front of you and don't attract police attention.

police attention is hard to get in Perth when u drive a Aurion..... its all the West Coast Commodores and the Perth Falcons they target lol....

Aurion is a nanna's car... since when did a 20 year old hoon drive one :P!

police attention is hard to get in Perth when u drive a Aurion..... its all the West Coast Commodores and the Perth Falcons they target lol....

Aurion is a nanna's car... since when did a 20 year old hoon drive one :P!

Spotted one on beach rd a few weeks back ;)