DHL Quarantine processing fee?

so about a month ago i got my coilovers,

and only today got a bill in the mail

It says "full cash payment before delivery unless stated otherwise on invoice" and on the invoice i cant see anywhere where it says that i need to pay for it AFTER delivery?

ontop of that, it said that payment term is 7 days. And the date this bill was processed was 24/5?

wth

advice?

I believe you have no option but to pay for it. I'm assuming your package was opened by Quarantine when you got it?

If so, in the event you are getting billed for it I believe it's because your package was opened due to the AQIS believing your item was suspicious (e.g- plant matter, mis-declared item etc) and DHL is simply passing on the cost to you. If you package is opened by AQIS due to random selection, they don't charge you for this.

If I am correct, the reason why courier companies (DHL, FedEx etc) charge you and AusPost does not is because the way the system is setup. For the courier companies, an AirwayBill is setup and then it needs to be formally cleared etc; which I believe is where the extra cost comes in. With international senders that use the Auspost system (EMS, RoyalMail, USPS etc) it goes through the major mail sorting facilities which have on-site permanent Customs + AQIS setups in which any mail that is opened is re-sealed and put into the system (at no charge). If the package requires Quarantine processing or treating you may need to pay any associated fees.

I had a similar thing with my wheels

Definitely sucks when they pick at random and it happens to be you.

I queried the customs dept and they said it must be paid.

damnnn. its only 50 bucks or so but i was surprised. yep ill pay it ASAP on monday at the post office!

wow 600 dollars for inspection fees? damnn man, did it end up being cheaper to buy via the internet for your wheels?

Wasn't too bad for me. I bought a set of mags for the Celica (see avatar) a set of tyres for a stock 2000 Laser and two sets of BFG all terrain T/A's for a mate.

Disappointing but when spread across the whole deal it was still a lot cheaper.