Considering purchasing. Any common problems?

unknownmonkey

Hello.

I'm new to this forum and have just lost my beloved 2002 Audi A4 2.4L V6 (P plater) in which i spent way too much time and money making look pretty and maintaining. Most the work i was doing myself with the help of a repair manual, hence the time lost.

I've been looking around for a 'new' P plater legal car, and regularly needing a big boot, also suiting my budget, the 2nd gen. 2000-2005 RAV4 (from 90,000-130,000kms) caught my attention. A very good looking car indeed.

I'm just wondering if the RAV4 has any noteworthy, common problems that i need to take into consideration before taking the next step (test driving). Especially things like reliability to things like rattling (eg) glovebox/window switches, to timing belt replacement times/mileage, down to engine/exterior modification potential as i have issues leaving my car stock.

Any and all information will be much appreciated and absorbed.

Many thanks and hoping to join the family,

unknownmonkey.

I'll post some pics of my x just for fun :P

DSCN5388.jpg

DSCN5372.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

Hey welcome to the club.

I know nothing about Ravs but believe that most Toyota vehicles have a reputation for reliability. If there are any known problems with them someone here will let you know.

Nice Audi. What caused it to be "lost"

The only "issue" that i know about the 2nd gen Rav4 is don't get the 2.0L version. They are known to be "dead" when trying to push them. The 2.4L is the way to go with you are getting the 2nd gen Rav4.

How much money do you want to spend exactly?

Edited by A Buff Hamster

Hi Vey and Buff Hamster? lol.

Thanks for the speedy responses. :)

I was driving at night, in the wet and on unfamiliar roads when i lost control of her in to a ditch causing her to be written off. Spent $660 on 2 new front tyres earlier that day, and because it was lowered (no coilovers), the negative camber i was forced to run (along with the new, not worn in tyres), gave me barely any traction.

I'm not looking to break the bank while i'm on my P's, so around the $15,000 mark will do for now.

After posting on here, i did some research and found that the 2000-2003 models have transmission and ECM issues which if goes bad can cost $3000-$5000 to get repaired, and although there was/is a recall in the US, i'm yet to hear anything about recalls in Australia.

My dad has an Aurion, sister drives a Celica and also having owned a few Toyotas in the past, reliability as we've experienced 'shouldn't' be too much of an issue. Provided i steer clear of the pre 2003 model.

I'm just really anal about any rattling and, well... just about cars in general, so i was trying to get as much information on the car as possible before purchase.

Would any RAV4 owners be kind enough to help me out with the timing belt replacement intervals/mileage? And any other little positive/negative points on the car Even the most minute thing will all be of help to me. :help:

Cheers,

Unknownmonkey.

IMO i think the Aurion would be a better choice for you than a Rav4 (2nd gen).

1. Maintaining the Aurion will be cheaper than the Rav4. This includes parts.

2. The boot space of the Aurion is a bit smaller than the Rav4 (about 30-40L) but bigger than the A4 and it's also the biggest of the 4 big cars out there (Commodore, Falcon, 380, Aurion). Not to mention it's also the fastest out of the 4 :D

3. It's pretty cheap now to get an Aurion. You can get one for $12k now.

As for timing belt. You have to change it on the Rav4 every 75k-100k and they don't come cheap whereas the new 3.5L 2GR-FE engines come with a metal chain so they never need changing.

When i had to choose a new car for me i had the option of getting a 2nd gen Rav4 or Aurion. After comparing the only thing i could find the Rav4 having an advantage was the ride height but i didn't really care about that. Price was around the same, fuel ecc was around the same, Aurion had a better engine, Aurion had 1 year warranty left, Aurion was smoother and fasterrrrrrrrrrr, about the same room in the back seats, more features in the Aurion, more airbags in the Aurion (6 vs 2), seats were better in the Aurion, quieter in the Aurion, Aurion would be easier and cheaper to mod because of more products available and those were the main points i chose the Aurion.

If you want to have a feel of how the Aurion drives like just test drive your dad's car. Just tell him to pump the tyres 38psi front, 34psi back and enjoy.

Edited by A Buff Hamster

Although i've never driven the 2nd gen Rav4, the Aurion, i felt, was a little unstable cornering at moderate/high speeds. The lack of weight in the rear and the seating position in comparison to weight distribution, seemed a little unbalanced to me. But that was only comparing it with the Audi, and also i've only driven the Aurion for a total of around 40 or so minutes.

Funny you telling me to test drive dads car as he's going away for a few weeks and leaving his car with me, so perhaps after a week or so of driving it, my thoughts on the car might change.

I'll check out some Aurion's on carsales now.

Thanks for the heads up Andrew. Very much appreciated mate! :)

Cheers,

Simon.

The interesting part about the Aurion is that tyre pressure plays a factor in body roll IMO. I tried a lot combos to find the perfect pressure and to me the best handling is 38psi front and 34psi back both at cold. I found when you use the same psi on both front and back it caused a lot of body roll and more under steer. In general a difference of 4psi should be fine.

I'm also assuming you still have the stock Dunlops tyres on. They are complete crap so it's expected you will fail at high speed cornering.

You can check out the Aurion section and see all the mods and other stuff everyone has done.

Edited by A Buff Hamster

The tyres 'i'm pretty sure) are still stock. I did what u recommended with the tyre pressure and it actually feels a little better. Thanks :D

I pushed it a 'little' (and by little i mean a lot) harder than i'd normally drive, and the power delivery is so smooth, acceleration so quick, and fuel consumption, at the revs i was pushing, so rapid. Torque steer i found only occurred when floored. I reckon i could burn through a full tank of fuel in about 2-3 hours. And lose my license in 1. lol

I'm still tossing up between a Rav-4, 3.0L Audi Quattro and the Aurion, but having strange passion for cars, the Aurion doesn't really do it for me. I feel like an old man (like my dad lol), and want to keep my license! But it's not ruled out just yet though.

I had a look at some pictures from the members gallery, and instead of checking out just the Aurions, i ended up wasting time looking at others rides, especially keeping an eye out for yours (which i was unable to find).

I'm about to go and inspect a 2004 Rav-4 with 22,000kms [WOW (elderly driver)] and an Audi 3.0L Quattro now, so till next time...

Cheers,

Simon.