Angel eyes

Hi all,

So I've given up on finding projector lights for the 'rolla, but I"ve been reading some interesting DIY guides on making Angel Eye halos (just like in the BMWs) so here's the thing, HOw do you open up the head light pod to place the halo in once u've made it?

And how do you wire in the halos anyway? I'm assuming that straight into the battery via a switch and a relay might blow the halo coz its just resistors and LEDs

ideas? Experiences?

Negatron, I may be able to help with some of your questions, but first, why are you looking for headlamp protectors? Headlamp protectors on modern cars are a scam. They were introduced when cars had headlamps with glass lenses that could be easily chipped or cracked. Todays car headlamp lenses are made from polycarbonate usually LEXAN (i.e similar stuff to that used for bullet proof windows). You would need a rock the size of a cricket ball to hit the lamp while driving at 100km/h to break the lens.

By the way headlamp protectors also reduce the light output of the lamp and reduce its ability to dissipate heat (i.e more likely to melt). HEADLAMP PROTECTORS ARE A SCAM!!

Regarding opening up the headlamp. The lamp lens and housing are attached to each other with clips and a sealant. The sealant may either be a hot melt or a silicone sealant, I'm not sure what is used for the corolla lamps. As metonied on this forum perviously if its holtmelt then you could heat the lamp up to over 80degC and pull it apart, but it is very unlikely that you could achieve a good seal when you put it back together again. If its silicone then you won't get it apart at all.

Hope that helps.

Negatron, I may be able to help with some of your questions, but first, why are you looking for headlamp protectors?  Headlamp protectors on modern cars are a scam.  They were introduced when cars had headlamps with glass lenses that could be easily chipped or cracked.  Todays car headlamp lenses are made from polycarbonate usually LEXAN (i.e similar stuff to that used for bullet proof windows).  You would need a rock the size of a cricket ball to hit the lamp while driving at 100km/h to break the lens.

By the way headlamp protectors also reduce the light output of the lamp and reduce its ability to dissipate heat (i.e more likely to melt).  HEADLAMP PROTECTORS ARE A SCAM!!

haha what a load of ****! you have obviously never had a rock hit your headlight, i have and i now have 2 rather large cracks in the front and i have no doubt that the protectors would have prevented this.

my headlight protector prevented a btoken headlight!! :D

i had an encounter with an object and it fully cracked my headlight protector on the driverside, and the headlight was untouched!! :D

Negatron, I may be able to help with some of your questions, but first, why are you looking for headlamp protectors?  Headlamp protectors on modern cars are a scam.  They were introduced when cars had headlamps with glass lenses that could be easily chipped or cracked.  Todays car headlamp lenses are made from polycarbonate usually LEXAN (i.e similar stuff to that used for bullet proof windows).  You would need a rock the size of a cricket ball to hit the lamp while driving at 100km/h to break the lens.

By the way headlamp protectors also reduce the light output of the lamp and reduce its ability to dissipate heat (i.e more likely to melt).  HEADLAMP PROTECTORS ARE A SCAM!!

haha what a load of ****! you have obviously never had a rock hit your headlight, i have and i now have 2 rather large cracks in the front and i have no doubt that the protectors would have prevented this.

but where and at wat speed did the car hit the rock :P :P :P

• 3 weeks later...
just quick question......

i've got corolla levin 2005..

tail lights size is same to 2004 ????

it's bit urgent.... thanks!!

yeah... they're the same... but i think the pre-facelift and post-facelift take slightly different wiring...

anyway... isn't this thread about headlights?