Celica Compression

Its_Jay

Gday, if anyone knows what the compression of each cylinder of a 1990 celica SX (5sfe) would be great, my car is 293 xxxkms and i think it may be out on compression does anyone know any ways to tell by driving if the car may have loss of compression?

any help would be sick

:)

Edited by Its_Jay

Drop into supercheap/repco/autobarn/etc and ask for a compression tester.

With the engine up to temperature (and off) disconnect the spark plugs and remove 1 plug at a time. Connect the compression tester to where the spark plug was and crank the engine a couple times until the needle stops jumping on the tester. Move through the cylinders.

If there is more than a 15PSI difference between cylinders it isn't ideal. But the main thing is to check for a massive drop from what it should be. Ideal on that engine is 180+PSI, minimum is 140PSI.

Usual signs of low compression can be low power and/or high oil consumption.

Drop into supercheap/repco/autobarn/etc and ask for a compression tester.

With the engine up to temperature (and off) disconnect the spark plugs and remove 1 plug at a time. Connect the compression tester to where the spark plug was and crank the engine a couple times until the needle stops jumping on the tester. Move through the cylinders.

If there is more than a 15PSI difference between cylinders it isn't ideal. But the main thing is to check for a massive drop from what it should be. Ideal on that engine is 180+PSI, minimum is 140PSI.

Usual signs of low compression can be low power and/or high oil consumption.

Yeah will do thanks mate! as its done near 300000kms i think it would be ideal to check.

if a cylinder is out,

it will need new pistons? or.. and is it best to do all 4 cylinders with new pistons or just the one that needs it. in my head it sounds smart to do all 4. haha

If the engine is cactus and needs to be rebuilt it'd be cheaper for you to get another Celica. Or if you can do it yourself just a new engine and pop that in.

Yeah, it would be i dont think it is the engine runs quite well just thought i might get a test done jus to be safe then sorry