OBD 2

METAL13

Ok got my Bluetooth OBD2 Reader, it came with software that works fine, now i want software that does a little more (dashboards, Live reads ) that arnt restricted by demo version or purchasing.

If not what is the best one to purchase at the price for what it has with it ?

Otherwise I'm EXTREMELY impressed by what this simple little gadget can do !

Price: $23 AUD on Ebay.

(Once again expecting Lord DJKOR to reply with his big brain of Toyota Wisdom )

I would suggest DashCommand as I have personally used it (iPhone version though) and find it does what I want it to do. For live monitoring, the refresh rate is typically limited to your OBD reader so hopefully the one you have doesn't have a low refresh rate. That said, I wouldn't rely on the OBD to provide instantaneous figures as well. There may be some minor delay regardless.

Also moved this to the Audio/Video/Electronics section.

Check out http://torque-bhp.com/ for Android.

I use it and think it is great.

the stuff I find useful:

Oil, Air, Intake and Gear temperatures

GPS and Sensor speed

Air to fuel ratio

Average Ltrs per 100 KM

And I might find the 0-100 and 1/4 mile stuff fun if it didn't involve breaking the law whistling.gif but take the results with a grain of salt.

It also has the ability to upload to a server where you can see sensor readings on google maps.

the stuff I find useful:

GPS and Sensor speed

Air to fuel ratio

Average Ltrs per 100 KM

And I might find the 0-100 and 1/4 mile stuff fun if it didn't involve breaking the law whistling.gif but take the results with a grain of salt.

It also has the ability to upload to a server where you can see sensor readings on google maps.

Wow after reading about this now I want to get one too :)..i use an android phone so I should be able to use that software too..if not i could try Dashcommand as well..but i want to make sure I get the right OBD tool..can you guys confirm if this is the one that works with the Aurion?http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BLUETOOTH-ODBII-OBD2-SCAN-CODE-CAN-tool-Reader-OBD-2-II-/270755531123?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3f0a498973#ht_3890wt_1139Cheers :)

I'm fairly sure that would work.

I have one of these:

http://www.dealextre...er-dongle-16921

It is a cheap Chinese make but does the job well. Note: the length is quiet small and it actually fits nicely and barely protrudes from the dash. Any longer and I would worry I'd knock it with my foot and possibly snap the port.

I'm fairly sure that would work.

I have one of these:

http://www.dealextre...er-dongle-16921

It is a cheap Chinese make but does the job well. Note: the length is quiet small and it actually fits nicely and barely protrudes from the dash. Any longer and I would worry I'd knock it with my foot and possibly snap the port.

I will check out this too then..will have to decide on this or the other one..the ebay one is cheaper but it is a bit longer like you said..

ok until you said something about your foot possibly snapping the port I had thought this sits somewhere in the engine bay and not inside the cabin area..will have to find out where exactly this OBD interface plug is too..so i am guessing it is near the pedals? Sorry im not good in this area :)

Yep, it's in the cabin.

IMG_20110616_174225.jpg

Cheers mate..now its easy to find that :)..and i believe it actually sticks out of the trim so there is no need to go under the trim to find the connector...

the stuff I find useful:

GPS and Sensor speed

Air to fuel ratio

Average Ltrs per 100 KM

Wow after reading about this now I want to get one too :)..i use an android phone so I should be able to use that software too..if not i could try Dashcommand as well..but i want to make sure I get the right OBD tool..can you guys confirm if this is the one that works with the Aurion?http://www.ebay.com....#ht_3890wt_1139Cheers :)

i have that exact one from ebay...

Find the connector near the bonnet release :)

This one does stick out a fair way from the dash so no good to leave there permanently!

Bluetooth may restrict the software you can use, the most common seems to be WiFi based (hence my question about softwares :D

DJ - Can that dashcommand work with Bluetooth OBD readers ? or is it WiFi only ?

i have that exact one from ebay...

Find the connector near the bonnet release :)

This one does stick out a fair way from the dash so no good to leave there permanently!

Bluetooth may restrict the software you can use, the most common seems to be WiFi based (hence my question about softwares :D

DJ - Can that dashcommand work with Bluetooth OBD readers ? or is it WiFi only ?

I am positive the Dashcommand software works with Bluetooth as they have mentioned the compatible device is a bluetooth ELM device just like the ebay one. But there is also another software called Torque for Android devices that definitely works with bluetooth from the videos I have seen.

With the size difference between this OBD device the double prized same functioning device is just millimetres guys. And I dont find the spot an obstruction to daily driving unless you are someone who have their seat so close to the wheel that your knees touch the steering wheel lol. I am going to keep it plugged in when i get it..only thing i would do is put a tape over those 4 bright LEDs that go like crazy when it is working ;)

And this particular one on ebay does come with its own software, but as to how many other bluetooth software is out there we have to find out :)

I don't see what the issue is with regards to the size of the unit. You can easily unlatch the OBD connector from the dash trim and it slides out the back. There you can have whatever size unit you want with no obstructions. You can do all this without removing any dash trim as well.

Then when you take it to Toyota, just click the connector back into the dash trim.

I don't see what the issue is with regards to the size of the unit. You can easily unlatch the OBD connector from the dash trim and it slides out the back. There you can have whatever size unit you want with no obstructions. You can do all this without removing any dash trim as well.

Then when you take it to Toyota, just click the connector back into the dash trim.

Sounds like the way to go! Cheers

This reply just made my day..thank you :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys I just got the ELM327 OBD II bluetooth device few days back and it is working :)..

My first question is, will be alright if I left the device plugged in when the car is not in use like overnight? I ask this because when i have disconnected from it or turn off the ignition I find that one of the LEDs on it is running at a very faint brightness so makes me think if it would affect the battery? Or is it alright?

Second question is, I am using my android device to connect and find that only the application 'Torque' is able to connect and read from the OBD device but the 'DashCommand' software for the android is not able to establish the OBD II protocol. Has anyone of you come across this?

It uses so little power when you car is off that it shouldn't effect your battery noticeably. I left mine plugged in for days once with no problems.

Never used DashCommand for Android, but on my Windows computer it detects protocol and connects fine.

It uses so little power when you car is off that it shouldn't effect your battery noticeably. I left mine plugged in for days once with no problems.

Never used DashCommand for Android, but on my Windows computer it detects protocol and connects fine.

Thanks for that info mate :)..In that case its not a worry to leave it on while parked. Its not like I will leave it on forever just maybe a day or two as I dont use it always..the full version of Torque is working on android so I am happy and one day will try out Dashcommand from the laptop..

• 11 years later...