Aurion Stereo Upgrade

cal025

• 2 weeks later...

please explain...

i took my car back to the installer to show them the rattle in the speakers. they said it was the trim and have now used double sided tape on the areas they think has caused the rattle. however as soon as i turned my stereo on, the rattle was there in the front left speaker! the rattle in the front right had stopped, but could not believe my ears. anyway, i took it back the next day and as i was driving into the driveway i changed the balance back so equal sound was coming out of L and R speakers, as i can not handle the sound of the rattle so have all the sound coming from the 'non rattling' right speaker. and to my disbelief the rattle had stopped! showed the technician and he said there was not much he could do until he could hear the rattle and i thought there is not much use in wasting time if it was not rattling anymore...

however last night, after 2 days of no rattles, the rattle has returned, much to my disappointment...

does anyone have any ideas on what it could be???

please explain...

i took my car back to the installer to show them the rattle in the speakers. they said it was the trim and have now used double sided tape on the areas they think has caused the rattle. however as soon as i turned my stereo on, the rattle was there in the front left speaker! the rattle in the front right had stopped, but could not believe my ears. anyway, i took it back the next day and as i was driving into the driveway i changed the balance back so equal sound was coming out of L and R speakers, as i can not handle the sound of the rattle so have all the sound coming from the 'non rattling' right speaker. and to my disbelief the rattle had stopped! showed the technician and he said there was not much he could do until he could hear the rattle and i thought there is not much use in wasting time if it was not rattling anymore...

however last night, after 2 days of no rattles, the rattle has returned, much to my disappointment...

does anyone have any ideas on what it could be???

Best method for chasing stereo rattles is to make yourself a test tone cd (google it), play the frequency that induces the most rattles and then try to locate the rattle with it playing.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks guys for all of your helpful advice...

i made a test cd and could hear rattles across all frequencies. so i paid another visit to the installers, who took the door apart... again. the speaker seemed to have nothing loose around it but the rattling sound remained. so i visited a local 'speaker doctor' with the removed problem speaker. he tested it and said there were no issues with the woofer or rubber surrounds and could guarantee this 99%.

today i again went back to the installer, who attached thick foamy tape to the mdf mounts he made, to sit between the mount and the speaker. when the music started playing there were no rattles! yay! so he reattached the door trim and i was on my way.

however... when i started the car and the music began again, the rattle was back!!! so again the trim came off and we searched the door... ruling out the crossover and wiring (using other speakers) and the mounts. even when the speakers were out of the door the rattle came on intermittently. we swapped the speakers, left to right and the sound was still there...

picking up the speakers i noticed that there was some movement between the magnet and the speaker bracket... and on testing this seemed to be the source of the problem!!! the door closing had caused the magnet to come loose. a problem with large magnets i suppose!

so i am taking both speakers (both magnets are loose) to the speaker doctor to have him, hopefully, glue the magnets into place to stop this movement! fingers crossed it resolves the awful rattling!!!

• 2 months later...

So it has been a while... but the speakers are going to be replaced under warranty. However the new problem is the installer must now remove the tweeters and crossovers so I can send the whole package back, so not impressed! I am trying to get a refund on the speakers rather than an exchange as I want a new set of 6.5 components put in when the old ones are removed, hopefully save on some costs. I am looking at a set of Polk db6501, so still staying with the silk dome tweeter.

This installation has been a headache so I hope anyone looking at upgrading in the future stays away from 6x9 components in the front. I think the larger magnets in the doors are a problem with the constant closing and subsequent 'jarring' of the woofers.