Newbie Questions - K&N filter and Levin HID fitting

qf380

Ok time for my first newbie bunch of questions guys so be gentle haha.

First question is, has anyone put one of the K&N panel filters in their Corolla? I have a ZRE152R Ascent Sport 2010 and i thought about getting one, but last time i bought a K&N panel filter i got one for my old car (nissan dualis) and it made fuel economy get a little worse. Couldn't argue that it improved acceleration and performance. I just dont want to fit one if its gonna stuff up the fuel economy to much...

Lastly, this may sound like a dumb question, but is it possible to fit the HID lights off the Levin ZR onto my Ascent Sports? I like how the Levin lights have grey inside them and think it would look good on my car, but i dont want to bother if its going to be to difficult with adding ballasts (think thats what they call them) or anything difficult like that.

First question is, has anyone put one of the K&N panel filters in their Corolla? I have a ZRE152R Ascent Sport 2010 and i thought about getting one, but last time i bought a K&N panel filter i got one for my old car (nissan dualis) and it made fuel economy get a little worse. Couldn't argue that it improved acceleration and performance. I just dont want to fit one if its gonna stuff up the fuel economy to much...

The air filters on cars these days tend to be reasonable flowing as they are so changing out for a K&N reusable filter should not affect your fuel economy in either direction. Your driving style afterwards will determine that however.

Lastly, this may sound like a dumb question, but is it possible to fit the HID lights off the Levin ZR onto my Ascent Sports? I like how the Levin lights have grey inside them and think it would look good on my car, but i dont want to bother if its going to be to difficult with adding ballasts (think thats what they call them) or anything difficult like that.

How much money have you got? A pair of headlight assemblies aren't exactly cheap.

Your driving style afterwards will determine that however.

Hahaha this is also an issue :P

How much money have you got? A pair of headlight assemblies aren't exactly cheap.

That was going to be my next question, does anybody know how much these would cost me :blink:

That was going to be my next question, does anybody know how much these would cost me :blink:

For the headlight assembly itself, a 2007 model assembly would most likely set you back around $400 each and that's without any lamps or ballast. If you want to get a Toyota genuine HID ballast and lamp, be prepared to add another $400 per side for the ballasts and $350 for a pair of lamps. In that case though, you can easily save money by getting an eBay kit for around $50-$100 a pair, but it will just mean you need to mount the ballasts a little different to the factory layout.

Yes that is a touch on the pricey side :blink: Im not to keen on generic ebay kits, id rather pick up a set of Phillips HID off ebay, cheaper than autobarn. Has anybody had any experience with the Philips kits? Good/Bad?

Don't notice much heat issues, won't burn anything if that's what you're thinking.

Don't really think there will be any issues with warranty but I wouldn't have a clue to be honest have had them for awhile with no problems, quality is top notch from wires to ballast personally these are the only HID kits I'd go other than Kaixen.

Edited by jaems

Ok sweet looks like they are the go. Which ones did you use?? I know there's a few different kits. What is the legal issues related to them? Like is there a limit before they become unroadworthy?

Back to the Levin lights, would I be able to swap out the headlight unit for mine still? I guess the HID component on the Levin lights is just the bulb and ballast, the actual plastic headlight is same as mine fitting wise? If that makes sense haha

Back to the Levin lights, would I be able to swap out the headlight unit for mine still? I guess the HID component on the Levin lights is just the bulb and ballast, the actual plastic headlight is same as mine fitting wise? If that makes sense haha

the headlights will be a direct swap....but if you have a facelift rolla expect to be looking at $960 each for the levin ZR assembly and that's at list price, and as far as i know there are no aftermarket suppliers yet for the black headlight assembly.

Well, I wanted just the headlight and thought the HID would come with it originally. Im more interested in the headlight than the HID. I was just asking about the Phillips kits as i had never dealt with them.

The ones I'm selling now are equal quality as the philips as I had used and compare the both of them.. but if u looking for genuine replacement then toyota is your only option