GEN 7 Celicas in Aust Production Car Championship

neil trama

As many of you are 7th Gen owners, I thought you would like to know that Celicas #s 13 and 31 are currently 1st and 3rd outright in the 2005 Australian Production Car Championship.

Colin Osborne, lead driver, has been in the outright lead since round 3.

The Midwest Multimedia sponsored cars are currently ahead of Ford XR6 Turbos, Holden SS V8 Commodores, Ford XR8, Honda S2000, Honda Integra Type R as well as the smaller class cars.

The Phillip Island Round, which we won outright, will probably be telecast on SBS Speedweek tomorrow.

Neil Trama (race engineer)

Having worked on many engines for sprint racing, 2 engines for the Bathurst 24 hour and one engine for the London to Sydney marathon I have uncovered a number of RPM related weaknesses. None of which are unreasonable given the standard rev limit of 7800RPM.

If RPM does not ever exceed 7800RPM there are no known problems.

8000 is pretty safe usually.

8200 uncovers a valve problem related to some batches of valves only. They can break with disastrous consequences.

Over 8300 uncovers a rather nasty rocker breakage problem. When the rocker breaks, it can jam the valve open - really nasty.

Basically a carefully prepared engine is safe to 8300RPM. Over 8600RPM the engine turns into a hand grenade.

Remember that Production rules require that we use only standard parts.

We will tolerate a limited number of excursions to 8600 but will always replace the engine if it exceeds 8900.

Fortunately we are permitted to fit additional oil baffles to the sump as oil surge is a serious problem. It is also imperative to fit an oil separation system as on RH turns large amounts of oil is blown out of the breathers into the inlet manifold.

It is a very powerful production engine, so its minor shortcomings are entirely reasonable.

Neil

And watch out fo Rick Bates in the Corolla Sportivo too :P

Is there a Corolla Sportivo in APCC Dylan? or are u refering to rally?

Rick Bates competed in the Eastern Creek round about a month ago or so... But we have been informed elsewhere that it was just a single event thing :(

And watch out fo Rick Bates in the Corolla Sportivo too :P

Is there a Corolla Sportivo in APCC Dylan? or are u refering to rally?

Rick Bates competed in the Eastern Creek round about a month ago or so... But we have been informed elsewhere that it was just a single event thing :(

We shall cheer on the 2zzge powered Celicas then ;) i saw a broadcasted race and they are quite quick, just a tad slower than the TypeRs on the straight but in corners they are quick. If only the Stivo also had double wishbone rear suspension :(

The Honda S2000 was bloody quick though it stuck with and actually beat the V8s, was a really good scrap between the V8s and the S2000 i must say.. but it looked a tad too bumpy.

So Neil what are you gonna do to make the Celicas quicker on the straights (at least quicker than te TypeR) since its already pretty good in the bends and braking department? Probably top secret :ph34r: Btw Neil are yous allowed to touch the gearbox (i doubt it), as you know there has been some strong criticism on the gear ratios and the absence of an LSD.. What about modding the clutch/ flywheel?

Z

Edited by ZEEROLLA

We are not permitted to do any more to improve straightline power and we are a team that have no intention of twisting the rules.

The fundamental problem is not really power but gear ratios. Phillip Island is very much a power track and we were 2 seconds a lap quicker than the Integra there. On some tracks the ratios hurt us more than others. this is all part of the challenge of running production cars.

Final drive ratio changes are also not allowed. We are permitted to fit a locked or limited slip diff. We use a TRD LSD.

We are allowed to change the clutch linings only. Flywheel must be standard.

Neil

Edited by neil trama

We are not permitted to do any more to improve straightline power and we are a team that have no intention of twisting the rules.

The fundamental problem is not really power but gear ratios. Phillip Island is very much a power track and we were 2 seconds a lap quicker than the Integra there. On some tracks the ratios hurt us more than others. this is all part of the challenge of running production cars.

Final drive ratio changes are also not allowed. We are permitted to fit a locked or limited slip diff. We use a TRD LSD.

We are allowed to change the clutch linings only. Flywheel must be standard.

Neil

Wow that's impressive being 2 secs quicker, from memory i think the Celicas did end up in front of the Integra TypeR but they had quick conrering speed and braking was good. But well i guess the race car drivers also play a major role in performance.

I think the Celica would be more suited to higher speed tracks like you said at Philip Island with its gear ratios and 6 speed as compared to the DC2 Integra TypeR which has a 5 speed box and very closely geared. I know at Wakefield Park the Integras would be great there, but with an addition of an LSD the Celica might do well too. The biggest problem without an LSD at Wakefield was wheelspin in the tighter corners.

Z