Vortex Generators for aurions?

Hey Peeps,

How are we all doing?

Just realised vortex generators on a few evo and wrxs recently, and was wondering...

If anyones seen one on an aurion and/or what people think, would it be a good or bad idea to put a vortex generator on an aurion and about vortex generators in general?

For those of you that dont know what im talking about...google it or search it ebay...its like a strip of spikes/fins that close the ditch between roof and rear windscreen...making your car more aerodynamic....well thats what i think it does anyway..anyone that knows more about them correct me if im wrong.

Oh btw just thought id let everyone know....a change since last time i was here...im off my learners! Got my ps at the start of august...looking forward to coming to meets once im done with year 12! ;) anyways let me know your thoughts on vortex generators.....arigatou

Vortex generators require access to a wind tunnel or CFD software to develop correctly. A Vortex itself is very weak and if not created correctly will induce more drag. When done correctly they can reduce drag and/or help other aerodynamic devices work better. The Toyota GT-One was the first car designed around vortex generators if you wanted to see a practical example.

But to save myself from typing out the same thing as the famous 'Scarbs' refer to the following http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5090&sid=cb67ad37d41ff7c57be51f3c18d0250d#p5090

Vortices are created where different pressure regions meet, as the high pressure air meets a lower pressure area, it diverts and turns into a tumbling action.

They can be formed at a point as “Tip vortices” which appear like expanding spirals, or along an edge “shed vortices” creating a sheet of reversed flow.

In motorsport and F1 vortex generators are devices that create a tip vortex, Tip vortices are also created at the interface of the rearwing and the endplates.

The vortices shed from the rear wing are currently an area for development as the spiralling flow structure inhibits the (downforce producing) wake from the rear wing forming and add drag. By equalising the pressure difference at the point the vortex is created the size and direction of the vortex is minimised. Hence the Renault, BAR and Toyota endplates.

Vortex generators are used not create downforce per se, but “condition” the flow into a direction that may make another aerodynamic device produce less drag or more downforce.

The Shark tooth added behind the large bargeboards on the Ferrari\Jaguar act to excite the airflow running along the step under the floor, this energised flow improves the filling of the diffuser and hence actually creates more downforce.

The pointed gurneys and front wing endplate shaping all aimed at directing flow around the inside of the front wheel and keeping it clear from reattaching along the sides of the car, this doesn’t produce downforce, but the cleaner air running along the centre of the car makes for more efficient aerodynamics.

The tip vortex produced by the winglet on the sidepods is used not for downforce drag reduction either, the vortex pulls air from the chimney (Renault for example) and throws it clear of the rear wing, again increasing another parts efficiency.

Other devices can be used to condition flow without inducing tip vortices, the shaping of the inboard ends of wishbones, bargeboards and flip ups for example….

Yes you have to be careful with these kinds of things. i think there is one available from Thailand and also a fin like what BMW use for aero aid (which also doubles as the aerial) If there not designed properly they have the potential to do more "harm" then good. Aurion already have aero fins and "diffusers" with the Sportivo and TRD models having a few more all designed to smooth out the air travelling around and under the car and also designed to make the car more stable and "pull" it to the ground at high speed. The new 50 Series Camry and Aurion will feature a lot more vortex generators and aero fins/flaps.