Possible Aurion purchase - advice?

Shiloh76

Hello all,

New to the forums, and so hope this post is going in the right section.

I'm considering upgrading to an Aurion early in the New Year. Will be looking at a used model preferably 50,000kms or less. I've been debating whether to go for one of these, or a smaller engined fwd (e.g. Mazda 6) and I've not yet made up my mind.

The Sportivo (SX6) is the most appealing of the lot for me - more interesting to look at vs the base model. The ZR6 doesn't seem to offer much more, other than a leather interior which I don't want (& costs more, want to try to keep this under $25K).

Would I be better off going for a later (2009 onwards) rather than earlier series? Were there any significant issues that were fixed over the first couple of years of the life of the Aurion which would make a later one a better purchase? From my brief reading, there are dash rattle issues and the earlier ones missed out on Aux in on the stereo.

I'm also not sure when they released the updated tail lights on the sporty models (the clear ones). Anyways, I don't like them! Much prefer the red / standard ones.

Apologies if this kind of topic has been covered before.... but thoughts on model year, what I should be paying, things to look out for when buying used, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I would personally buy the latest model I could afford with the least amount of k's.

There was an earlier discussion on what to lookout for when buying an Aurion see here

Good luck with your search and you wont be disappointed with the Aurion they are a great car.

Cheers

Peter

Welcome Shiloh76,

I couldn't really comment on the whole whole Mazda 6 vs Aurion conversation, but I will say that comparing the Honda Accord Euro and the Aurion has the Aurion coming out ahead by a long shot. I've found the Aurion to be smoother, more comfortable and generally well-built. The Euro is a little more responsive (handling wise) in my opinion, and I think may do a little better in terms of fuel, but I would take the Aurion over the Euro pretty much everyday of the week.

The SX6 is a great option, especially since you're not interested in the leather; however, the parking sensors for me have been pretty useful. To be honest, if you had the choice of spending a little over your budget (I'm talking maybe $1,000), I'd heavily consider the option of the ZR6, but if you're really not all too fussed about the luxury options that the ZR6 brings, then I think the SX6 will do you just fine.

When comparing the two models (1st & 2nd generation), I think someone else might better be able to compare the two, but in terms of what's under the hood, they should all be exactly the same; I know the interior differs, but I'm not sure how. The headlights came into effect post-facelift, so if you don't like it, then I think you're looking at the 1st generation Aurion.

Looking at the headunit, I guess it'd depend largely on how likely you are to change it. If you're already thinking of switching over to the touch-screen units you see on eBay, then the generation model factor becomes moot. I know post-facelift there was an AUX option, but that will need to be confirmed; however, you can 'relatively' easily custom mod an AUX into the 1st generation Aurion. Might take a bit of time, but I'm a firm believer that doing this kind of thing will help grow your attachment to your car.

I think I might be one of the lucky ones in terms of rattles; I've driven my 07 ZR6 for almost 9 months now, and I've yet to experience a single rattle. Although, I should mention that mine was second-hand and if there was prior history of rattle, I don't know about it.

In terms of the car, it's been everything I thought it'd be and then some. I'd recommend perhaps looking at a colour that's not black, as the body kit that comes with the Sportivo range has black 'trimming' and the black body kind of hides that. The other colours seem to contrast so well, especially the white. I only purchased mine in black because the price was unbelievably cheap. That's about it from me.

Welcome..

The clear tail lights are mainly the facelift sportivo ones.. They are the major cosmetic changes apart from body-kits compared to the old models. If you want the red lights, your options are either the pre-facelift to the facelift of the non-sportivos. I'd suggest you choose which look you like more, and go for that, of course with the best deal with all the factors considered.

I wouldn't be too worried about the lights, I can swap you my lights with your clear tail lights, I still wouldnt mind. :lol:

And the ZR6 offer a keyless start engine and smart entry system, which most members here love very much. Have a look around or depending on your location, try to come to the monthly / weekly meet. Im sure the Aurion users including me would be more than happy to show you in person.

And the ZR6 offer a keyless start engine and smart entry system, which most members here love very much. Have a look around or depending on your location, try to come to the monthly / weekly meet. Im sure the Aurion users including me would be more than happy to show you in person.

LOL, how did I forget about the keyless entry. I absolutely love that!

Hi and welcome to the forum. I would personally buy the latest model I could afford with the least amount of k's.

There was an earlier discussion on what to lookout for when buying an Aurion see here

Good luck with your search and you wont be disappointed with the Aurion they are a great car.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Peter, and to all others who have responded so far. Some useful tips in the thread on what to look out for.

How do people find the cabin noise levels out on the highway (I'm not talking about odd rattles, rather the overall noise insulation/suppression)? This is one thing I want - a quiet cabin! I used to own a 380 Mitsubishi which was quite good in this department, pretty quiet inside out on the highway. Would be nice if the Aurion was comparable. From what I gather, it is pretty quiet in this respect.

It looks like the tail light upgrade (as much as it's a minor thing) happened sometime after '09, or during '09... so I guess I'll be looking for an '08-'09 model, plus more likely to be within budget.

Any comments on the quality of the interior plastics in the console?

Cheers.

Looking at the headunit, I guess it'd depend largely on how likely you are to change it. If you're already thinking of switching over to the touch-screen units you see on eBay, then the generation model factor becomes moot. I know post-facelift there was an AUX option, but that will need to be confirmed; however, you can 'relatively' easily custom mod an AUX into the 1st generation Aurion. Might take a bit of time, but I'm a firm believer that doing this kind of thing will help grow your attachment to your car.

In terms of the car, it's been everything I thought it'd be and then some. I'd recommend perhaps looking at a colour that's not black, as the body kit that comes with the Sportivo range has black 'trimming' and the black body kind of hides that. The other colours seem to contrast so well, especially the white. I only purchased mine in black because the price was unbelievably cheap. That's about it from me.

Yes, have seen the eBay ones... are they quality units & worth the upgrade or cheapies?! From what I gather, might be worth upgrading the stock speakers regardless, which I'm happy to do.

Also, probably looking at one of the silver/grey or blue models, colour-wise. Agree that the bumpers stand out more with non-black models.

Driving on the highway is pretty good imo. I literally just got back from the airport, and the drive's smooth and essentially quiet. Not sure how this compares to a 380, but being of similar size and possibly better build quality (?), the Aurion should be at least as good as the 380 in this department, if not better.

Plenty of the guys here on the board have upgraded to the eBay units, so they'll be able to give you a better idea of how they are. I remember reading a little while ago of screen issues and buttons pressing themselves; whether this is still around, I'm not sure. Personally, I like the stock system because it does pretty much what I'm after (minus the AUX). The idea of an after-market unit that has bluetooth and GPS navigation sounds great, but I have a smartphone and a bluetooth headset for that. Having said that though, if a unit comes out that's near perfect (i.e. next to none ghost touches) then I'd probably consider after-market.

Edited by jasonwlin

LOL, how did I forget about the keyless entry. I absolutely love that!

+1

Keyless Start + Smart entry FTW!!!!! :toast:

Thanks to this, I can never go back to a car with a normal key and put up with being stabbed in the leg each time I carry my car keys with me. dry.gif

Cheers,

BB

PS. I also don't have to fumble around for the damn key to start the car too! Just gotta look for the glowing "Start Engine" button and press it.

Edited by Beep Beep

Road noise depends alot on the tyres and road surface. I have Pirelli Dragons on mine which are an Asymmetric tread pattern and find them to be very quiet on smooth roads but once it gets a bit co**** they are very noisy but its something I can live with.

Peter

It's interesting that many people deem there not to be much difference between SX6 and ZR6. But for ZR6 owners it's these extra features we like most about the car lol.

I would go the ZR6 over the SX6 anyday. The extras are well worth the 1-2K over what the SX6 would cost.

Also, shop around and you will be able to find a bargain. My friend picked up a ZR6 with 58000kms, factory sunroof and satnav for $23k from a dealer in July this year. He got a full year of rego with it too.

The only thing he had replaced is the tyres.

I would go the ZR6 over the SX6 anyday. The extras are well worth the 1-2K over what the SX6 would cost.

Also, shop around and you will be able to find a bargain. My friend picked up a ZR6 with 58000kms, factory sunroof and satnav for $23k from a dealer in July this year. He got a full year of rego with it too.

The only thing he had replaced is the tyres.

ZR6 - power pass seat, heated exterior mirrors, auto dipping exterior mirrors (can be switched off!), rain sensing wipers, rear sun blind, sunroof, sat nav + 8 speakers & amp under drivers seat, leather, keyless entry & start. The list goes on... wouldn't be without my keyless entry - no fumbling in the supermarket carpark... upgrade model, of course.

Forgot the clearance sonars, auto dipping interior mirror & drivers seat memory.

Need I say more?

Edited by Eaglemist

+1 keyless entry and keyless start

I always get confused when I drive the other family cars without keyless start. Put my hand on the dash to push the start button and I realise that it's not there :rolleyes:

ZR6 - power pass seat, heated exterior mirrors, auto dipping exterior mirrors (can be switched off!), rain sensing wipers, rear sun blind, sunroof, sat nav + 8 speakers & amp under drivers seat, leather, keyless entry & start. The list goes on... wouldn't be without my keyless entry - no fumbling in the supermarket carpark... upgrade model, of course.

Need I say more?

Yea that's the aurion S2. If I'm not wrong, it's +10k for a S2 aurion compared to S1. I got my ZR6 with 20,000k within your price range. Look around, you'll find a good deal!