hard scratching/grinding noise while turning

blaze

my celica started making a loud metal on metal grinding noise from the front left wheel while i was turning right. i checked my brakes and saw the v spring and a brake pad clip was missing, could they be the problem or something else?

It could be a small stone sitting on top of your brake pad. Turning corners may put pressure on it and make it grind a groove in the rotor.

It's worth taking the wheel off to have o good look. Or if the spring/clip is missing that could be lodged somewhere it ought not be.

Took the wheel off and brakes and had a look but couldn't find anything wrong with it.

So i took it to the mechanic and spent some time trying to figure it out and said it sounded like the caliper was scratching the rotors and recommended to do some hard braking to wear the rotors/brakes down a bit which did helped. Now its not really loud as before, its still there but less loud and only on sharp right turns.

When i took my wheels off and brakes i noticed i could move the rotor inwards and outwards. Is that a sign that the wheel hubs gone?

Took the wheel off and brakes and had a look but couldn't find anything wrong with it.

So i took it to the mechanic and spent some time trying to figure it out and said it sounded like the caliper was scratching the rotors and recommended to do some hard braking to wear the rotors/brakes down a bit which did helped. Now its not really loud as before, its still there but less loud and only on sharp right turns.

When i took my wheels off and brakes i noticed i could move the rotor inwards and outwards. Is that a sign that the wheel hubs gone?

i can't remember how the rotors on the st184's are mounted, but it could be that.

taking everything apart and then putting it back together will help reduce the noise temporarily, as the hubs are a compressed fit and torquing everything up nicely re-compresses it. but the sound will return after a few km's.

Edited by lateralus

i'll bet it is the wheel hub. i had the same problem on my st184, which caused the same noise and the cv's were in good condition.

Same.. my 184 's bearing collapsed bout 3 weeks ago so dont be suprised if it is one.spiteful.gif

• 3 months later...