Toyota Echo Lost Key problem

yoz-r6

Hello all!

I know this is a recurring post from the Echo/Yaris forum, but so far its had 44 views, and no replies, and i'm getting really desperate, needing to get to work. so please can anyone help with the following problem?!

Recently i lost the only key i had for my 2000 Echo. I have a spare cut, but that only gets into the car, it won't start with the cut key. When i try starting the car, it turns but doesn't start. The security light flashes the whole time. So i deduced there must be some sort of transponder in the key that i lost, and now cannot start my car. Is there any way i can bypass the security setting? Toyota say its gonna cost $900 for a new computer and transponder key. I don't have that kind of money!! So any ideas on how i can get my car driving again?

Any help is muchly appreciated!

Yoz!

Can you get the key program to work for your car from the car dealer / lock smith?

I tried that, Toyota Head Office rekon there's no record of any keys with transponder to match engine numbers. and the local dealer quoted me $1800 to replace the ECU, ignition Barrel, and Transponder!! So i think i'm just gonna have to claim it on insurance. I've contacted multiple Auto Elecs and apparantly it cannot be bypassed. Its programmed into the ECU so i'd have to change the ECU and the transponder as well, so i'm just gonna let the insurance company deal with it!

Thanks for your help though!

• 5 months later...