Help with sound system

t0_ny00

hey guys

i need help with this project im planning,

mp3 headunit

set of 6x9 speakers

amp for 6x9

and prob a 12 sub with amp

the help i need is how to install, i dont know what to pull out or unscrew><. so i was hoping if someoen cna help with ripping the dash boards and stuff and btw will a 12 fit on the parchel shelf? or should i stick with a box?

thanks

btw what cabling should i get and nee dhelp with cabling too:P

sucha a newbie!

camry 2000 is the GEN 4 camry. but if you gonna buy bodykits or accessories outside of Australia, the 1998-2001 is GEN 4.5 (i think) all i know my 98 camry is a GEN 4.5

in Australia this is the way it worked,

Gen4 : 1997-1999

Gen4.5 : 2000-2002

so leasaunce, your Camry is actually a Gen4 ;)

for the Australian Camrys you can distinguish the Gen4s and Gen4.5s by the tail lights B)

Gen4:

3387437.jpg

Gen4.5:

3324656.jpg

That's some smart thinking Terry, why didn't i think of that.... :lol:

Time to try and help tony out.

Forget about putting a sub in the parcel shelf. Due to the fact you'll need to remove child safety restraints, making the car unroadworthy in most states.

Get yourself a good quality sub box and use that. Easier to remove when you sell the car, and it's not like it'll take up heaps of boot space :lol:

As far as cables go, good quality speaker cable is the only way to go. Don't just tape up the connections, invest $10-20 at Autobahn or something similar and solder all your connections together, including speakers. You could also go to a car audio store and find a adaptor plug, that connects your standard wiring harness to your H/U

I wouldn't think you would need an amp to run 6x9's. A good mate of mine, owns the FUSION ute, and he told me never run 6x9's with subs, as they compete for bass, he recommends running 6-6.5" speakers. I have heard quite a few systems using 6x9's and subs, so my opinion is, do what ever set-up you like, it'll work if tuned right.

Now, i don't know what a 2000 set-up is like for there H/U, but if it's like my '96 model it's as easy as falling off a log. You should be able to simply remove the cover from around the standard H/U and behind it you'll see a steel braket, which hold the H/U in place. Unscrew it, try and use the braket on your MP3 player and simply install it. Little word of advise, never turn on the power to the H/U, untill ALL wires are connected.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys, so i just need to a straight swap over for the 6 by 9 and solder it to the existing cables or should i recable??

right now im using stock Head unit but will by a new one so i can run amps for the 6by9 and some amps for the 6". if anyone find or see a good mp3 or dvd headunit can u let me know. or even a LCD screen with dvd player and head unit let me know.

thanks!

I put an Alpine unit in mine that connects to the i-pod so 40 gig of music , no CD's floating around the car and the sound is amazing. :P

Alpine have been doing MP-3 the longest. ;)

$599 for the unit including i-pod adapter.

I put in alpine 6x9 at the back and MB quart splits at the front. In the next few weeks I am going to add a JL 50w (12 volt) x4 channel amp ($400ish) and JL sub tube ($280) due to space and lack of current bass. :rolleyes:

k guys i got a few qeustions to ask. Go here before u proceed

Speakers

1. i bought the 6* 9s and my friend tookt eh subs, do i need an amp for these 6*9s to run good and if yes what kind? money is limited

2. i know i need a new head unit and i heard taht camry's cannot change head unit due to dash board complicatiosn adn bracket. what do i need to do if i get a new head unit because my cousin said its hard to change and costly, "its not a simple screw out and screw in job"

3. what type of headunit should i get with my money limited toa bout 300

• 1 month later...
hey

everyone k i got my 6*9s, and now time to install, i wanna ask do i need to make a new pachel shelf for the back to accomodate the new speakers????

Why did the forum stop here? Lols. Thought these guys were helpful. Jkz!. Well, if there's already 6x9's on your rear, you wouldnt need a new shelf. You just need to take the cover off, which is the shelf, unscrew the old 6x9's, then screw the new ones in. And if I'm you, I'll get a 4 channel amp for my rear and fronts, then a 2 channel amp for my sub.

To amp the front without as much hassle, connect 2 channels from the amplifier going straight to the old socket, where your old 6x9's used to be connected in. Behind your deck has 8 wires, which are 4 positives and 4 negatives. All these goes to your 4 speakers (when they are stock speakers). So what you do is to parallel all 4 connection and make it 2. So, the 2 positives and the 2 negatives coming straight from the amplifier from the back which is now connected to the old 6x9's sockets will have to be paralleled to the 2 positives and 2 negatives going to your front speakers. So in other words, you wouldnt have any speaker going on the back of your deck. These speakers will get their sound from the RCA's coming from your deck.

Lols. Hope that gave you a lil idea.

Latuhz.

j0hn3.

• 4 weeks later...

i think a nice boot install not only will sound better, it will also look a million times better than having it in the parcel shelf, in the parcel shelf it'll look half assed.

i also have a false floor for the amps.

this is my boot, i have a 95 Gen 3 Camry

IMG_6037.jpg