Phil's AE111

fillit

Hi Phil,

Correct, was held at Shepparton and was a very well run event. This Deca/Motor-khana days aren't all dictated by power; I did see an MX-5 hand it to a GT-R, he even had a passenger lol

I went to the previous Tampered Day to spectate and help a few friends out and by come to the one in March (to spectate). If you come then I'm more than happy to show you some of my lines and what gears I take ect :)

Forgot to mention that EXE are hosting an EXE Deca day (same place - Shep..) in 3 weeks time. Sign up here: http://tiny.cc/mxzm3 - there's only a few spots left so you might wanna be quick!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20/02 - seeing as one of the strut tops were slightly loose, i went ahead and ripped apart the rear interior to make sure that both the rear struts tops are as tight as it should be.. once i managed to pull out the rear cushions everything became relatively easy. I will post a guide on removing rear seats once i get the time.

20120223191633medium.jpg

26/02 - went on a roadtrip to lorne, for anyone who's been to Melbourne before it's one of the most fantastic roads to drive on.. unfortunately for me i was just rubbing the whole time and it ended up shredding the front driver side tyre pretty badly... the guard was also pushed out by the tyre and i had to lip it with a breaker bar damaging the paint... unfortunately it was really my only option :(

20120301182345medium.jpg

Nasty...

1/03 - Finally found the time to get my guards done, I went to Hybrid Notion and han helped me lip the front and rear guards, word of advice is the rear guards is filled with glue or some sort of hard plastic behind it so you need to cut it out with a stanley knife first before you can knock it back... Han did a really good job as he sealed the rears so water doesn't get in and start rust and even sand it down a little and put primer on it as i told him i will paint it myself later on.

Once the guards were lipped the rubbing on the front has ceased however the rears were still rubbing as i don't run enough camber on the +13 offset :(

2/03 - Having given up running such low offset I switched it back to +30 on the rears, i miss the flushness however not rubbing everywhere i go is a real advantage. Still having slight problems rubbing when full locked anti clockwise, it sounds like the tyre is rubbing against the inner guard.. will need to inspect it when the weather improves, day to day driving is still fine so it's not a big issue.

20120302133419medium.jpg

I'm going to miss you +13

Got sick of the badly CF wrapped intake so I decided to respray it...

I really wanted a HKS or Cusco Blue, however there isn't really any paint codes for it so i went for a DC5R Arctic Blue Pearl, I'm a big fan of that colour :P

20120302135216medium.jpg

20120302180633medium.jpg

Really happy with the finish, did about 2 coats primer, 6 coats colour, 5 coats clear...

20120302183219medium.jpg

20120302183209medium.jpg

Overall I think it made the engine bay heaps neater/cleaner and I am quite happy with the result.. I will take it out to rub it down with some 2000grit and give it a good polish when I have the time.

20120303170543medium.jpg

Also massively late post my gf made me these for Christmas.. mainly because my Recaros apparently aren't cushioned enough!

Thats odd with the top nuts coming loose, you didnt take the whole coilover out to adjust it did you?

The blue intake came up well, the colour fits in there nicely to my surprise and is much neater than the CF wrap

Nice cushions! i was thinking about them, my seats dont have enough cushioning either lol

20120304183419medium.jpg

tad sunk...

20120304183430medium.jpg

but still quite good..

20120304181305medium.jpg

the money shot! i think i can lower the rears a little more, even tuck it... however i would end up losing my exhaust on a speedhump ><

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Track preparation!

This might be one of the more boring posts. I really miss being on the track and I felt the car was almost ready except for a few teething issues, one being the gearbox. As far as I knew the thrust bearing is noisy and the syncro between 3rd and 4th was abit dodgy. I went around for some quotes as for a full gearbox rebuild would be around $2.5k, not really what i'm willing to spend as I'm not even sure which direction I will head with my engine, I think it's something I will consider later on. Nevertheless I took the car down to JAK Motorworks where Danny helped me take a look at the car, we narrowed it down to the thrust bearing and the gearbox problem was quite mild and probably wasn't worth the attention as yet. I took his advice and decided just to change the clutch and see how things go from there, after alot of research I ended up selecting the Exedy HD

03022011201.jpg

25/03 - the squeakiness between gears was getting quite annoying so I ended up pulling the gear shifter apart and applying grease to all the joints, seem to have toned down the noise alot, I can still hear it but much more subdued.

28/03 - The service at JAK Motorworks was fantastic, the guys were really friendly and they even helped me out patching up some little niggles around car. Overall I got the clutch changed, flywheel machined, gearbox fluid replaced and power steering flushed as it was a little heavy and started boiling at higher temps. Highly highly recommend them for all your servicing needs, they really treat your car like their own.

My impression of the clutch change was quite immediate, I found that it really got the power down well and the gear changes are alot more instant, surprisingly it even fixed the problem with 3rd and 4th as long as you don't redline it :)

31/03 -Went back to JAKs to get my rotors machined as they really weren't in the best of shape, essentially the rears are slightly warped, I'm planning a brake upgrade in the future so it doesn't bother me that much, I'll just run them on the track until then. Straight after the service I went to ozhonda annual, there was another toyota there and a bmw so I wasn't all alone.

qpo31x.jpg

Because my rear rotors were soo grooved, the pads themselves were grooved in and they were barely even in contact with the rotors, however after more driving it's starting to have more contact with the rotor, it's about 60% now, hopefully after 2 more weeks of careful (spirited) driving it should all be fixed.

20120401214326medium.jpg

08/04 -A few presents for the AE111.

Oil catch can, managed to get a 2nd hand one from yahoo japan, cusco with AE111 bracket, unfortunately I have not managed to find where to mount it properly so I had to end up making a custom mount for the custom bracket =="

20120407170945medium.jpg

20120407170956medium.jpg

Also got this radiator panel! Probably my favorite bit in the engine bay other than the intake, it makes it look alot more clean :D.

20120408182431medium.jpg

Finally, AE111 Type R YOOOOOO!!!

20120408162201medium.jpg

Finally, AE111 Type R YOOOOOO!!!

What is this? i dont even...

Apart from the honderp badge the car is looking good!

I really liked the exedy in my car, i regret changing it to what the smallport had on there but i didnt have time to machine the fly then.... How are you finding it the new clutch to drive?

Edited by 4ABHGE

i second this, at least 500 kms, 1k to be sure but amount of times u drive it i doubt u will reach that before track. unless u give it to me haha :P i'll clock it up in no time :lol:

Ive been doing ~800kms a week the last few weeks, Phil trade cars with me for a week and ill be sure to bed it in real good, real quick! ;) haha

Edited by 4ABHGE

did you bed in the clutch before giving it stick?

I gave it about 200kms so before i tried pushing it above 4000RPM, i only hit around 6ishy once to see how it sounds, seems like the whirling sound is still there, so it's got to do with the gearbox.

i second this, at least 500 kms, 1k to be sure but amount of times u drive it i doubt u will reach that before track. unless u give it to me haha :P i'll clock it up in no time :lol:

ive done about 450 or so these few weeks, by the time i get to winton it should be almost be 1k.

Ive been doing ~800kms a week the last few weeks, Phil trade cars with me for a week and ill be sure to bed it in real good, real quick! ;) haha

guys guys no need to fight over driving my sack of snowballs :P

The catch can install looks very tidy, I almost didn't see it.

And you haven't heard a noisy thrust bearing unless you heard my old one.

thanks! installing it caused me many hours of frustration though, and it's not even connected, as I gotta get the right length hoses... ahhhh yeah, it wasn't the worst thing in the world, but as i really wanted to track more, replacing the clutch was an important step.

Could be a bearing gone in the box? Is it rev related or does it only show up when you press the clutch in?

it's definitely a bearing in the box, it's rev related... but atm it's still quite mild, i'm just going to drive it as much as I can and PRAY it either:

1. gets bad really obviously so i'll drop the box and get it recon

2. it blows up somewhere close to home/workshop haha

If its a mild noise for you then it has plenty of time till it breaks... you should hear all the noises in my car and it still holds together, sometimes... :lol:

• 1 month later...

been a while since i've done an update, unfortunately this one is going to be a tad sad.

20120519144103medium.jpg

track prep for winton, installed a SABELT 6pt harness and stripped some of the interior from the back. I only ran it as a 4pt on the track because 6pt was going to crush my balls.

was soo excited hitting the track again, until 20minutes from winton we hit a kangaroo, my friend was driving my car, the kangaroo was running right to left and we tried to swerve right to avoid it, unfortunately the kangaroo stopped and we swiped it... fender gone, headlight gone, foglight knocked out, bumper cracked....

20120520071048medium.jpg

some friends helping out with emergency repairs pumping the guard out.

20120520110010medium.jpg

ohwell, we were at winton, might aswell run, least i get more air into the intake.

41635636554647016176523.jpg

session 1: it was a non timed session and it was quite low temp and slippery on the track, mainly just tried to accustom myself to the track again, although i did spin out on the back of the track, left 90* corner. ended up doing a 2.03 but didn't really care.

session 2: went pretty good, felt abit slow as i was overtaken quite abit, got maybe 1 or 2 good laps in but i span out on the left 90* after the corner, had a few issues with that and span again on the 90* right after that, decided i was pushing too hard so i backed off and waited for the track to get more heat. got a 1.56.3, beat my old PB by 0.3 but i was displeased.

session 3: things started to get better and i got into the rhythm, as the track got grippier i started feeling more confident in attacking the corners, ended up getting 1.53.xx with the left 90* still being an issue, started taking a wider line but loosing heaps of speed.

session 4: started pushing hard with the car and no real issues other than the left 90*, ended up with a 1.52.xx but displeased because i wanted a 1.50!!!!

session 5: all or nothing, pushed the car as much as i felt it could, unfortunately had a small spin on the 90* again, by this session the brakes were almost gone and i had to brake earlier than in the previous sessions and i knew i had to get a quick lap in before it all gives up on me. ended up with a 1.51.6.. I think if I pushed one session sooner, or skipped a session to push it on the 5th session, I would have easily made 1.50.x or maybe into the 1.49.x as I lost alot of time on braking.

still had alot of fun! beat my pb by 5 seconds, .... big thanks to the exe crew for putting such a great event, JAK workshop boys helping me build the car, Simon, Eason for the emergency repairs and Nam for helping me drive the car up!

Now the real challenge beings as i'm rebuilding the AE111, fender has already been ordered, i'm thinking of putting the AE111 on a diet to get some free KW out of it, going to start looking for some semi slicks to put on my track wheels... I wonder what the future would hold..

I wonder what the future would hold..

With the damage and the spinning sounds like the next step will be drifting? :D

sadly stuff happens. Chin up Phil! :)