Phil's AE111

fillit

i think the turbo eg might be anh? last time i talked to him he was planning to put a B20 in it..

i'm aiming for 1.45.. once i hit that then i will stop (and just drive for fun :P).. but i think i'll need a fair few more track days before i can reach that goal.

i'll consider going on the 20th, as the great ocean road cruise is on the same day (hope it's still going to happen).. if that falls out then i'll come around to spectate and have a chat, still waiting for an invite to exe crew lol :( duy put one through for me a while ago but it seems to be a long long wait.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

19/11 - With the help of kyle (ky0) we decided to do abit of work to the AE111, i've accumulated a bunch of parts over the past few months which i haven't had the time to install.. started off with a 1.5hr drive to bendigo to get to kyle garage.

20111119105900medium.jpg

This is the car at the start of the day.

The plan for the day was:

-front passenger panel

-trueno lights

-headers

-intake

front panel was relatively easy to remove, just a few nuts and clips on the guard then ratchet the rest out and buying a 2nd hand one meant straight bolt on no fuss other than it being slightly bent in the corner due to shipping, just hand pulled it back to the right position. overall i'm very very happy with the result as i couldn't stand that awful dint.

20111119114230medium.jpg

20111121182640medium.jpg

headlights were slightly trickier, as the ones i bought the indicator brackets were snapped so we had to cabletie everything together. tested everything out, just as solid as it would be with the brackets, other than that i was quite happy with the new look, definitely makes it look more tough!

20111119134309medium.jpg

ahh now with the exhaust..... so taking everything apart was quite straight forward, nothing WD40, breaker bar and elbow grease can't solve.. other than a rather burnt out looking O2 sensor we managed to remove the headers without a problem. We studied the headers for abit as it was slightly longer than the ones i bought from robcam and had shoddy welding.. never the less we didn't think too much of it... we reused the oem gasket as it was metal, lined it with gasket glue and put the headers on.. so far so good.

20111119130217medium.jpg

poor O2 sensor

20111119135206medium.jpg

20111121175344medium.jpg

20111121175330medium.jpg

20111119135220medium.jpg

if anyone is wondering how a 4AGE sounds without an exhaust here it is..

as we put the flex pipe on we started to notice a slight problem.... we were about 10cms short as the previous owner installed a sard cat and extended the flexpipe to fit it. so we kinda sat there thinking of what to do... firstly we tried to fit the oem flexpipe to the headers but it didn't fit... not wanting to tow the car back to melbourne or installing the oem headers back on we bravely moved the whole exhaust system by 10cms.. we ended up resting the exhaust on 1 hook and ALOT of cable ties.

20111119165628medium.jpg

we then went to install the new toms intake bought from tps shop thanks to Gary! (great guy to deal with), thankfully that went in quite easily, only problem was fitting the HKS mushroom into the stock hose and it still needs to be rectified as it is still quite out of the intake.

20111121173432medium.jpg

we took the car for a little spin and grab a good feed, overall the car was holding together and for the time being that was all i really concerned about until i get it back to melbourne. we packed everything up and i headed for the 1.5hr drive back home, unbelievably the car somehow managed to limp home.

Edited by fillit

20/11 -TOCAU cruise day, now my better judgement tells me i really shouldn't take my car out to tackle kingslake, but the car was urging me to take it out for a spin. We met up in diamond creek before we started the run, overall the new mods makes the car feel like there's more torque with a much throatier note to the exhaust, fuel consumption is about the same if not a tad better as the stock intake is pretty ordinary. Annoying issues we had was the exhaust was vibrating at 2.5k rpm as we had to leave out a few bolts. Overall it was a very nice cruise with some nice scenery and great challenging roads. Kyle also took over the wheel for a leg of the journey and watching him drive the car to it's potential makes me feel the eagerness to hit it up on the track again soon.

dsc0047medium.jpg

dsc0030medium.jpg

dsc8262medium.jpg

dsc8122medium.jpg

running out of fuel lol

dsc8005medium.jpg

dsc8393medium.jpg

you can see how sooty the bumper is from the exhaust being retracted back

21/11 - After the cruise i thought if the cable ties would hold the exhaust I could just leave it there until I have the time to get it rewelded, but I decided to take the safe option and take it to Highpoint Exhaust after alot of recommendations. They advised me to extend the pipe from the mid muffler so the exhaust would sit properly and even welded on some scratch plates incase i start scraping. They were really quick with their work and took great care in what they did, would recommend them to anyone. After that there were nomore rattles or squeaks and everything is the way it should be.

20111121140659medium.jpg

20111121130631medium.jpg

20111121141033medium.jpg

afterwards decided to spray up a few chips in the paint in the panel, still a slight gap which i'm not too happy about but will fix it up when i can find the time.

20111121174421medium.jpg

at the moment i'm quite happy with the car, only issue is the intake which i'm yet to find a hose to fit it properly, from some research it seems i need to extend the stock hose by a few cms. if anyone knows any good places to get hoses i would highly recommend!

how the car revs now

Edited by fillit

eager to hit it up on the track again soon.

Australia day in January, the tampered day ;) ;)

i headed for the 1.5hr drive back home, unbelievably the car somehow managed to limp home.

You call that limping? Please. Should i remind you of my trip home from winton? :P hahahaha

love the muffler statues! LOL

Good job on getting those issues fixed up. :)

eager to hit it up on the track again soon.

Australia day in January, the tampered day ;) ;)

i headed for the 1.5hr drive back home, unbelievably the car somehow managed to limp home.

You call that limping? Please. Should i remind you of my trip home from winton? :P hahahaha

love the muffler statues! LOL

Good job on getting those issues fixed up. :)

haha you might just see me there :P

oh you drove home on 2 cylinders? i thought you had a trailer

The guys at the muffler shop shoulg be able to make the pipe for you. They did for a friend on his 206 GTI RC as we used to work at the supercheap across the road. They also did my mufflers. Try reuse the old pipe by cuting it and making that the rubber ends, and getting plumping clamps from bunnings as they are dirt cheap from there. Looks good though.

haha you might just see me there :P

oh you drove home on 2 cylinders? i thought you had a trailer

Aww yeah!! should be a good day B)

Yep! I had to... Nah, didnt have a trailer, but ive learnt for next time that i have to bring one... dont want to limp home on 2 cylinders for 3 and a half hours again lol

• 2 months later...

been a little while since i've updated this thread...

03/12 - Decided it was time to do something about the toms intake, unfortunately the stock hose wasn't long enough to fit the mushroom pod into the intake properly. A trip to the local hardware store got me a rubber hose which is roughly the right size with 2 clamps, only cost me about $12 altogether. Did abit of trial fitting and everything turned out better than expected i didn't even need to resize it.

20111203115055medium.jpg

I drilled a hole into it to fit the stock sensor and ensure everything is running the way it's suppose to.

20111203095923medium.jpg

Then i decided as i had some CF wrap left over I would go ahead and wrap it. To be honest I'm abit disappointed about it, will end up having it sprayed professionally.

20111203115043medium.jpg

Custom bracket i copied off the genuine ones as I was sick of cable ties.

20111203115033medium.jpg

20111203115037medium.jpg

Engine bay looking much tidier

07/12 - got my new recaros!!!

20111207184321medium.jpg

mint condition

20111206222008medium.jpg

thanks to yoey for the rails :)

20111207182909medium.jpg

interior is soo dirty from my fieldtrips off the track

20111224180717medium.jpg

genuine is the way to go, everything fit together nicely...

And a recent pic from our TOCAU christmas meet :)

400617_10150453218059620_207420384619_8797594_1853573283_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

11/02 -

20120209170233medium.jpg

Got some new tyres courtesy of Ali at Taleb Tyres, 4x Advan AD07s 225/45/16s for $500 shipped from Sydney, if you're there it's $110 a Tyre what a bargain! Although AD07s are a little old now, these are 2008 production, for the price they are amazing, i rather burn these off at a track than pay $200 + a tyre for RE002s which probably perform less.

20120211144811medium.jpg

Car is 4WD'in abit with the new tyres although the guard space has been reduced, quite happy with the poke it has now though.

20120211144951medium.jpg

20120211145146medium.jpg

20120211145005medium.jpg

20120218190510medium.jpg

oh god, i can even clear gutters

19/02 -

Went to a mates house to get my car lowered...

at first all went well, the rears were fine...

20120219165050medium.jpg

20120219165042medium.jpg

20120219162235medium.jpg

20120219162226medium.jpg

ooops dropped it a little too low :P

front right coilover was a struggle as unknowingly someone actually glued the lock to the thread, it took a good hour with a C spanner then a screwdriver to release it. nevertheless the job was eventually done!

20120219185017medium.jpg

20120219185006medium.jpg

this was how it looked...

now for the all important first test drive, reversing out of the driveway we hear a few bumps from the RR coilover, now unknowing what it was we decided to give it a quick run anyway, immediately we were having problems with the car rubbing against the guard and the undeniable smell of burning rubber... i took the car back to my mates place to inspect what the problem is.

firstly this is what it done to my lovely new tyres ><, but it's quite shallow and would probably be gone after a spirited drive or two.

20120219193234medium.jpg

the knocking noise was actually the result of the nut on the top of the coilover coming loose when we were adjusting the height, the whole suspension unit almost dropped out when we took the wheel off... luckily it didn't, so we tightened it back up, inspected all the other strut tops and raised it by about 1cm...

after taking it for another test drive everything seem to be fine... inspecting it after driving 40kms home there were no additional signs of rubber on the guards, i'll need to get the guards rolled and possibly more low :P

i'll update some pics of the final height once the coilovers settle tomorrow.

Just make sure you remember that more low doesnt make it faster. For the track i run mine 20mm higher than on the street, so i can keep all my suspension working in its correct geometery... which means less understeer and better turn in ;)

Good buy with the tires!

I might see you up at winton next month, but i wont be racing :(

Edited by Toyota_kid

Just make sure you remember that more low doesnt make it faster. For the track i run mine 20mm higher than on the street, so i can keep all my suspension working in its correct geometery... which means less understeer and better turn in ;)

definately second this. low is just a "stance" factor, nothing more. I've tried to raise my car but to stock height but the coils dont let me :(

definately second this. low is just a "stance" factor, nothing more. I've tried to raise my car but to stock height but the coils dont let me :(

guys guys im not a track junkie..................... yet :P

the wheels i rock are like 8.6KG each, but they look sexxxxxxyyyyyyyy :D:D

Nice tyres! Bargain price too

You'll find that the suspension will settle more after doing some k's after it's been raised up. So naturally, it'll drop slightly so wheels would tuck due to the camber that comes with it. Car looking sweet lowered! Should come to Skyline Aus DECA day with me!

Nice tyres! Bargain price too

You'll find that the suspension will settle more after doing some k's after it's been raised up. So naturally, it'll drop slightly so wheels would tuck due to the camber that comes with it. Car looking sweet lowered! Should come to Skyline Aus DECA day with me!

hey trung, it was only cheap because they were mid 2008 production so shelf life is almost over, guess they are just cutting their losses, just shattered that it rubbed my tyres :(

haha skyline aus :( i'd be shamed by my lack of power.... btw are they having it at shepperton? are you going to any of the upcoming tampered days, i would love to receive some pointers