speaker hiss and boot rattle

Ever since installing my system I'm getting a hissing sound like 'tttssssssssssssss' from all four speakers. At first I thought that it was bad grounding from my amp because at first I could only hear hissing from the rear speakers but then I put my ear to the fronts and I can also hear hissing coming from the front speakers as well.

My front speakers are still factory original and plugged into the head unit so it can't be anything to do with the amp as my fronts are also hissing.

Also, my boot rattles like there is loose nails in there. It's horrible. I like to keep my music not that loud but I love the bass so I always have bass up. When I'm cruising with music pumping quietly it makes listing to music unbearable because the rattle of the boot comes into the car and it's cringe worthy to make you pull your hair out. The louder I pump up the music you can't hear the rattle because of how loud the system is but I don't want to do that all the time. lol.

Suggestions on both?

system setup:

rear speakers are aftermarket and plugged into amp and so is sub. fronts are stocky and plugged into aftermarket head unit.

Ever since installing my system I'm getting a hissing sound like 'tttssssssssssssss' from all four speakers. At first I thought that it was bad grounding from my amp because at first I could only hear hissing from the rear speakers but then I put my ear to the fronts and I can also hear hissing coming from the front speakers as well.

My front speakers are still factory original and plugged into the head unit so it can't be anything to do with the amp as my fronts are also hissing.

Also, my boot rattles like there is loose nails in there. It's horrible. I like to keep my music not that loud but I love the bass so I always have bass up. When I'm cruising with music pumping quietly it makes listing to music unbearable because the rattle of the boot comes into the car and it's cringe worthy to make you pull your hair out. The louder I pump up the music you can't hear the rattle because of how loud the system is but I don't want to do that all the time. lol.

Suggestions on both?

system setup:

rear speakers are aftermarket and plugged into amp and so is sub. fronts are stocky and plugged into aftermarket head unit.

Is that psssss sound gone once you turn off the engine?

If no, then my below advise will be useless :P

If yes, then you will need to put http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40-AMP-CAR-AUDIO-ENGINE-NOISE-FILTER-AMPLIFIER-INSTALL-/280762061527?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415eb912d7 or similar item for the head unit.

and http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAR-AUDIO-STEREO-RADIO-AMPLIFIER-SUB-RCA-NOISE-FILTER-/280615816693?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4156018df5 for your amp.

Another way is try to move the red (+) that connect the amp to the battery as far as possible from the RCA cable. Such as run the red from the left sit and the RCA to the right sit.

The boot noise can come from the vibration of your number plate that knocking the body or the weak side of your body will vibrate due to the bass. Try take off your plates then loud it up and listen if the Nails still there.

The hissing could be the gains on the amps are to high,this causes a hiss of sorts :unsure:

as for the boot rattle/vibrations you might want to sound deaden the crap out of it...1/4 panels,boot lid,rear panel and some foam rubber strips behind the number plate helps,just keep adding sound deadner until it stops.

A whine, hum or whistle, or something that changes pitch with the rev's of the engine would be fixed (or minimised) by the use of the filters and isolators and the suggestion of seeing whether the noise is there with the engine off will tell you whether it's interference or not.

My money's on excessive noise from your head unit, in which case it'll be there all the time. Look at the signal to noise ratio, SNR specification (if it gives you one) and compare that to a good quality unit. If it's <90dB then you won't be able to do anything, upwards of 95dB then it shouldn't be making any other noise than what its supposed to.

If you don't mind me asking, is it an entry level head unit or a high end one ? BIG difference when it comes to the amount of 'noise' both cheap n'nasty head units and quality head units make (or pass).

The hissing could be the gains on the amps are to high,this causes a hiss of sorts :unsure:

as for the boot rattle/vibrations you might want to sound deaden the crap out of it...1/4 panels,boot lid,rear panel and some foam rubber strips behind the number plate helps,just keep adding sound deadner until it stops.

Thanks mate I've already put padding around the number plate so no more vibrating from that. What sort of sound deadener should I use? What have you guys used and know what works?

As for the hiss, like I've said it's not just rears but also fronts which are not plugged into anything except the head unit and it's just the stock Aurion speaker cabling. Only difference is the Pioneer head unit wiring plug.

A whine, hum or whistle, or something that changes pitch with the rev's of the engine would be fixed (or minimised) by the use of the filters and isolators and the suggestion of seeing whether the noise is there with the engine off will tell you whether it's interference or not.

My money's on excessive noise from your head unit, in which case it'll be there all the time. Look at the signal to noise ratio, SNR specification (if it gives you one) and compare that to a good quality unit. If it's <90dB then you won't be able to do anything, upwards of 95dB then it shouldn't be making any other noise than what its supposed to.

If you don't mind me asking, is it an entry level head unit or a high end one ? BIG difference when it comes to the amount of 'noise' both cheap n'nasty head units and quality head units make (or pass).

All the cables are running on the same side (left) ALL cables. 2 RCA's, remote and power. Would this be causing it? Only reason I think that it can't be causing it would be because the fronts are hissing too and those have nothing to do with the rears/amp etc. There's no specs on this head unit like that. Though this is it: http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/22/121/61/DEH-6350SD/index.html

Running power with signal isn't always the best thing to do, but shouldn't invoke a hiss as interference from the alternator is in the form of an alternating signal, hence it usually being a hum or whistle that varies with engine speed as opposed to a hiss which is purely noise.

If its through all speakers, then the common point is the head unit. I wouldn't expect pioneer to be making that much noise though ?

If you using stock head unit it will make those sound, also get your self some better twisted rca cable, Dont wasted your money buying those ground compressor filter they dont work and easy to blow up, also depend on what amp are you using for your speaker buy a better brand like kicker or JL audio or soundstream.

Edited by Shadow_

^this man speaks truth!

yeah, the wing rattles like a bitch! Also, back parcel shelf too! Deaden the boot, lid, numberplate, also underside of the parcel shelf, topside as well! If your rocking low hz tunes you will find it will rattle no matter what... ie at 30hz anything and everything will!

So what you need to do is get deadener STP BOMB (way better than dynamat) line the back shelf with that, and STP gold) speak to drew at northfield moorooka for it he is the only stockist!

Just purchased a two door deadening kit (dynamat) from autobarn and installed in my boot lid, parcel shelf, quarter panels and number plate and now my dual 12" setup actually sounds like bass and not rattle :D

The next step though is a long road of dynamatting the boot floor, cabin floor, cabin roof, doors and dynalining the bonnet

Just purchased a two door deadening kit (dynamat) from autobarn and installed in my boot lid, parcel shelf, quarter panels and number plate and now my dual 12" setup actually sounds like bass and not rattle :D

The next step though is a long road of dynamatting the boot floor, cabin floor, cabin roof, doors and dynalining the bonnet

How much was it mate? Also, what's the quarter panel?

If you using stock head unit it will make those sound, also get your self some better twisted rca cable, Dont wasted your money buying those ground compressor filter they dont work and easy to blow up, also depend on what amp are you using for your speaker buy a better brand like kicker or JL audio or soundstream.

hey mate, if you look at my ride thread I think you'll see what I have installed. Everything is aftermarket and I have Kicker amp and sub :lol:

Will do soon when I get near a computer.

The dynamat was fairly exxy at $120, I purchased a door kit as I know it is just 4 massive strips will upload photos soon.

The quarter panel is the panel where the fuel filler resides, or the rear quarter panel, the front one is the piece in front of and above the wheel arches.

I'm running a dual sound stream set up off a stock head unit for now

hey mate, if you look at my ride thread I think you'll see what I have installed. Everything is aftermarket and I have Kicker amp and sub :lol:

damn you want to do one more carpet layout at the rear speaker for me i paid you!? my sub is 2x12inch kicks it rattle the nuts out of the plastic top at rear speakers