05 Sportivo head gasket replacment

A week ago, I had the rego on my car done at my local Ultratune. They mention that the head gasket looks to be on the way out (oil leaking was the indicator). The guy at Ultratune said that without actually taking the head off, it would be difficult to tell if the head gasket had another month or year left in it.

So I talk to the guy at Toyota today & mention the above. The guy says that it would cost approx $2500 & that he would need the car for a week!!!!

I call BS on time & cost, but am keen to hear from others on here from their experiences :help:

Also what is the risk if I don't replace it now & keep driving it (nanny style :unsure: )

Cheers

Tim

Edited by snakesau

***AVOID ULTRATUNE***

With that said, they are probably trying to rip you off, I would suggest it would be something simple like a valve cover gasket. Get a compression test done elsewhere to make sure.

***AVOID ULTRATUNE***

With that said, they are probably trying to rip you off, I would suggest it would be something simple like a valve cover gasket. Get a compression test done elsewhere to make sure.

I only had the rego done at Ultratune. I told the guy there that the car is going to Toyota for 160000km service. Since I have driven the car pretty hard, I just wanted a 3rd party opinion if there was anything wrong with it. Ultratune didn't even charge me for the extra time they spent checking the vehicle out. Its Toyota who are breaking my balls :ph34r:

To do the head gasket on the 2zz requires the removal of all the accessories and the chain cover to come off. There is one bolt that goes through the chain guide into the head. Poor design by Toyota (or good if you get to charge someone to take the head off). So that is where all the labour costs come into it. As for price, I've no idea if that is fair or not. There is about 4 hours to pull it apart. If they do it properly and give the head a light machine, the valvetrain needs to be stripped too, about another hour.

What other signs do you have of a dodgy head gasket? Milky oil?

What do you mean charge you extra for checking it out

It's part of rego inspection lol

Yeh dood rocker cover gasket probably dripping down. Mines leaving

Toyodiy says its like 26 or 36 can't remember. 7nm torque.

Get back to us!

To do the head gasket on the 2zz requires the removal of all the accessories and the chain cover to come off. There is one bolt that goes through the chain guide into the head. Poor design by Toyota (or good if you get to charge someone to take the head off). So that is where all the labour costs come into it. As for price, I've no idea if that is fair or not. There is about 4 hours to pull it apart. If they do it properly and give the head a light machine, the valvetrain needs to be stripped too, about another hour.

What other signs do you have of a dodgy head gasket? Milky oil?

Thanks for the explanation SuperDave, I've been back on the phone to Ultratune this morning to see what they think. They say only sign was a very small oil leak coming from that area. It could last another 6 months (more likely) than die tomorrow. The other explanation for the cost could be that Toyota may replace the timing chain at the same time (I would be happy with that since the car has 160 000 on the clock). And that according to the guide the Ultratune guy was reading to me the time frame to do both these jobs would be around the 10 hour labour mark. If we include parts into that equation, then $2-2500 is not so out of the question...

What do you mean charge you extra for checking it out

It's part of rego inspection lol

Yeh dood rocker cover gasket probably dripping down. Mines leaving

Toyodiy says its like 26 or 36 can't remember. 7nm torque.

Get back to us!

Hey 123R, I asked Ultratune to give the car an extra look over as the car was coming off lease & I wanted an independant check outside of Toyota done on the car (which they did at no cost - so I have no issue with Ultratune, only good things to say about them after this mornings 20 minute convo on the phone with them).

I'm unsure of what you mean in the second paragraph.... Could you translate into english :P

Edited by snakesau

Their obviously after some business !

Not sure what all the Ultratune bashing is about... The business was never going to be theirs as I explained to them that the car was going to Toyota for service :unsure:

Stemming from my experience with a Brisbane UltraTune dealer.

Their obviously after some business !

Not sure what all the Ultratune bashing is about... The business was never going to be theirs as I explained to them that the car was going to Toyota for service :unsure:

Not to mention my experience as a mechanic receiving vehicles that have had to be repaired after their sh*tty work.

It does sound a little odd that they would immediately Diagnose an oil leak as a head gasket, but that said you take cars to different places and there will always be a different idea of what the problem is in a case like this.

Would be some peace of mind knowing toyota have run over it and not found anything they see as untoward , but those are good km's for an engine like a 2ZZ pending how you've treated it!

Just watch your engine temp and inspect the coolant level and also that theres not a milky substance under your oil filler cap , otherwise enjoy it and remeber it's a Toyota