Loud bang coming from stereo

2011 KX-S Cosmos Blue

I have now had this happen about 4 times now and in different scenarios - listening to radio and Ipod. All of a sudden the stereo emits a very loud bang, shuts itself down and then automatically restarts. The bang is loud enough to give you a fright as it comes totally unexpectedly.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

• 3 weeks later...

I have now had this happen about 4 times now and in different scenarios - listening to radio and Ipod. All of a sudden the stereo emits a very loud bang, shuts itself down and then automatically restarts. The bang is loud enough to give you a fright as it comes totally unexpectedly.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

hey mate I have a 2011 KX-S too and I have had the same issue with the ipod being plugged directly into the head unit and have had around six loud sort of bangs reverb through the speakers (it gives you a hell of a fright).

After that the toyota symbol comes up on the screen and it looks as though it reboots itself and continues pretty much on the same song you were listening too.

I have told the service department but they dont know what it could be. The bummer is that you can't have anyone in the car at the time it does it.

I suppose will just have too wait until the head unit has something go wrong with it and try to claim it on warranty.

At last someone has experienced the same. Like you no one else has been in the car, reboots, Toyota symbol etc etc. Have not had it back for the service department to look at, so I will keep you posted.

Edit 10/3: I now have other witnesses to this sound - my 14 and 11 year old kids. Happened on the way home from school. Watch out Toyota next sevice.

Edited by 2011 KX-S Cosmos Blue