Gear Selector Light Globe

CONROD

Hi, the wife noticed this morning that the light globe which illuminates the PRND is not working.I have tried searching for a topic on it but to no avail.Can anyone point me in the right direction as to access the globe as I dont want to stuff around and scratch or break any clips or the quadrant selector all for the sake of a $2 friggin light globe,also what type of globe is it ? T5-T10,?????? :excl:

Cheers fellas CONROD

If there is a topic on it ,please excuse my ignorance;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; :whistling:

It's a T5 globe. I'm out on the road so can't post the link, but have a look in the FAQ for the instructions for taking the head unit out. You just have to remove the centre trim in front of the console box to access the globe directly underneath the panel. It's a standard twist type socket.

Thanx CHAMP,just came back in from replacing the globe :clap: .I had a spare T5 in my box of tricks,swapped over the little green boot from the old globe to the new one.I checked out your guide to removing the head unit and your first couple of pictures led me on the road to removing the fascia panel to gain access to the globe socket,once again mate thanks for your help;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;The wife is a happy camper once again :spiteful:

CONROD

I upgraded to LEDs and changed the colour as shown in the above vid, both of them, allthought the T5 & T10 LEDs are bright they have a narrow beam, that is how LEDs are, the higher the intensity/brightness the narrower the beam, the lower the intensity/brightness the wider the beam of light. My shifter slot/gate whatever you want to call it is blue now, I changed the P,R,N,D-S,+ & -, to red, the 'N' doesn't light up much, infact you can hardly see it and the '-' symbol for the 'S' mode is the dullest compared to the rest but still lights up unlike the 'N'. Still, looks good and you have dash letters to make sure but it's a shame that the 'N' is dull, spoils the whole affect. The pic doesn't do it justice, the 'P' & the 'R' are more red than they appear. Not sure how the bulbs would go changing the silicone covers but LED seems all the go now and they do draw less power and last longer but at the cost of less area being lit depending on the angle of the bulb.

post-27452-0-05016400-1332344697_thumb.j

Edited by SATORI893

Try using a Japanese LED, I know from experience That the Jap LED's are about 10x brighter and longer lasting than any off the shelf LED's.

My little Energizer LED I bought from Woolies has a Japanese LED in it and it brightens a dark room more than my other 24LED from Autobahn.

Edited by challengethemasters

mmm-sx6

I just noticed today that my letterings "P-R-N-D-S" don't light up like the photo above, could it be that same bulb in replaced in the video is the problem?

Same globe that I recently replaced mate. Its a small T5, follow the procedure that DJKOR informed me about. :clap: Cant go wrong,

CHEERS CONROD

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the informative posts, after reading this I noticed that my lettering and shifter gate were not lighting up. All I had to do was check the connections following the video and DJKOR's Instructions in the FAQ and badaboom, it is now lighting up as normal.

Now looking to replace the bulbs with some white LED's for a more whiter brighter light to match the Optitron Cluster, etc.

Cheers!

• 9 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread. My PRND also doesn't light up. I've pulled apart the console and it seems I have a loose connection at the bulb end. If I move the cable around at the bulb end, it flickers. As soon as I stop moving it around the bulb goes out.

I've looked at the toyodiy website, but I can't find the part number for the cable.

Would anyone know where else I could find it or happen to know what the part number is?

It looks pretty straight forward to replace.

Cheers

Edited by angelviper007

Sorry to dig up an old thread. My PRND also doesn't light up. I've pulled apart the console and it seems I have a loose connection at the bulb end. If I move the cable around at the bulb end, it flickers. As soon as I stop moving it around the bulb goes out.

I've looked at the toyodiy website, but I can't find the part number for the cable.

Would anyone know where else I could find it or happen to know what the part number is?

It looks pretty straight forward to replace.

Cheers

Maybe not the solution you're looking for, but a possible solution if you're interested.

I pulled apart my bulb holder and wired white LED strips into the casing. It lights up pretty damn bright, but looks nice.

How it solves your problem is: if its just the casing, then you can still use the wires. But check to make sure it isn't the bulb itself (ie wires not matching up)