Oil specifications

Retro Raf

Hi forum readers, my first post here.

We have recently purchased a 2000 Rav4.2. It has done 120k km and has a complete service history from Toyota dealers and independants.

One thing I find odd, the oil specification from Toyota seems to be 5w30, however the owners manual specifies 10w30! The internet confirms that 5w30 is pretty common and 0w20 is an option for better fuel economy, on the later cars at least. I've checked my invoices, the Toyota dealers list "Toyota oil 10w" which I assume is 10w30.

Why would they change from what Toyota specifies? Seems odd. As we drive mostly infrequent short trips and overall, cover very low mileage per year, I want to make sure it has maximum cold start protection more than anything else.

The trans fluid is also quite dirty and has probably never been changed as per the service recommendations from Toyota. I want to change the fluid, a full flush prefered but Toyota wont do this and its proving hard to find an independant mechanic that will either. They just want to drop the pan and refill which will, without a doubt, leave the trans fluid looking pretty much the same. The Toyota T-IV specification is also not that easy to find and I don't really trust a mechanic to use the right fluid. So I have looked to supply my own. I have found, unless you buy a full or part synthetic there is nothing that meets the T-IV specification. Can anyone suggest a suitable transmission fluid? And also somewhere to service the trans.

Edited by Scuderia

Hi forum readers, my first post here.

We have recently purchased a 2000 Rav4.2. It has done 120k km and has a complete service history from Toyota dealers and independants.

One thing I find odd, the oil specification from Toyota seems to be 5w30, however the owners manual, maybe printed by Toyota Australia, specifies 10w30! The internet confirms that 5w30 is pretty common and 0w20 is an option for better fuel economy, on the later cars at least. I've checked my invoices, the Toyota dealers list "Toyota oil 10w" which I assume is 10w30.

Why would they change from what Toyota specifies? Seems odd. As we drive mostly infrequent short trips and overall, cover very low mileage per year, I want to make sure it has maximum cold start protection more than anything else.

The engine puffs a little smoke on start up which ****** me off a bit because it has had all the servicing specified and then some more. I hope its not because of the use of 10w30, probably not. Searching the internet would discover this is not that uncommon. Did Toyota just get it wrong, is this a crap engine?

My guess is that the 5W30/0W30 is for colder climates like Japan (where it would have been manufactured), and Toyota Australia bumped the rating up to 10W30 for our warmer environs. Definitely not uncommon for world-wide cars to have different oil specs in different countries

• 3 weeks later...

OK so I have found Toyota recommend 5w30 for all climates and 10w30 for climates alwasy over -18 degrees. So thats cool.

5w30 is actually very hard to find and I would prefer to use it. I was thinking about using the Nulon 5w30 which is a long life oil and changing it once a year. What oil do you use?

I found a Penrite fluid that meets the T-IV specification and have serviced the trans. The fuild is red now. It runs just the same as before (good) but I think it was good preventavie maintenance.

If money isn't a limiting factor you can go after Mobil 1 EP 5w30 for $12 a quart. I use it and it's excellent and i change my oil once a year not twice since it's designed to have extended oil service intervals.

http://www.performancelub.com/

Harold who owns the website runs his business in Greensborough so if you live near by you can pick them up and save on shipping cost.

Yeah I found Harold on Ebay. 5 quarts is only $60 which is the same price as the Nulon from Supercheap so I think I'll use the Mobil 1 next service. Cheers