Where to begin.....

atlas_aus

Hi All,

Just joined up today.... I have never looked into landcruisers before but need to as i look to upgrade for towing a van around this great country of ours. :)

So some dumb questions to start off !

Are the series numbers = old to new models ? 200 = latest ?

I am looking for something rated to 3500kgs and prefer an auto. Is that possible ?

It makes sense to me now that all the big rig caravans have had a toyota in front of them ! :D

Thanks in advance.

HI shaughan, yeah mate the higher the number on the series of the landcruiser the later the series, I give you a rough guide to when each series landcruiser was released.

80series,1990 1998

100series,1998 2007

200 series 2007 ,

The landcruisers in my oppinion are the best tow rigs, they offer great cabin space with great comfort and have heaps of grunt for towing, regarding your other queston towing capacity rating of 3500kg and auto, the landcruiser towing capacity is rated at 3500kg and are avalible with auto, the 200 series are auto only, its good to see you got great taste in cars and sticking with toyota in front of your van, hope this helps mate and welcome to the club.

Oneday I buy a caravan and another prado or a landcruiser and do the around australia trip.

Give me a auto anyday when towing , its by far easier to reverse and pull up a steep slope and better taking off in traffic, theres no slipping of the clutch to get rolling, no burning clutches and you can sit back and relax and let the auto do work , its far more less stressfull towing with a auto, you can arive at you destination more relaxed and happier, I owned both and towed with both and would never go back to a manuel ever , you ask anyone that tows a caravan and see which one they prefer, and I bet they say auto, manuels should of been gone years ago, its 2012, not the 1930s, you may have better engine bracking in the manuel, but thats the only thing going for them, I still prefer a auto.

• 3 months later...

Each to their own but I concur with Croco. I towed a caravan with a manual for 14 years and switched to the 200 series auto 18 months ago. No contest. Far less fatiguing for the driver, much easier to tow and the 200 series is an absolutely awesome towing vehicle. ComPletely overshadows annoying quality issues - crappy Chinese grade plastics that scratch so easily (and the plastic trim clips break easily), crappy thin carpet. Bit of a come down from my trusty old Nissan Patrol.

• 2 months later...

With the technology in autos these days I will be buying an auto in my next 4wd they are so much better and more comfy. Only upgrade I will look at doing is a bigger auto cooler and a additional filter for the bug trips in the Kimberly or similar where it will get hot