Engine Flush

Jhiony TKG2010

Hi jonathan, I asked the same queston a couple of months ago, and yeah I decided to give the engine flushes a miss after some of the horror stories and you tube videos of people having total engine faliure after the engine flushes.

I think you cant go wrong with good quality oil and regular servicing to prevent the problem and maximan engine life, I would of replyed to this topic sooner, but I couldnt find my bullet proof vest :P

Hello Gents,

Your input is appreciated and apologies if my question has caused some intense dialogue amongst some. However, I sincerely do hope after this we all remain civil and peace amongst us prevails :D

My opinion is all input does have merits but the oustanding advise for me is using premium oil in all cases as this will minimise/prevent the sludge build up as shown in Youtube provided by Rice Racing. Cheers once again my friends!

No problem mate, hopefully the trolls stay in the Camry section lol and leave us alone ;)

Hi jonathan, I dont know what happened to the post about using premium oils in the kluger, but the oil filter on the kluger is located at the back of guard underneath the front of the bumper on the right handside under little plastic cover held in with two bolts.

Hi jonathan, I dont know what happened to the post about using premium oils in the kluger, but the oil filter on the kluger is located at the back of guard underneath the front of the bumper on the right handside under little plastic cover held in with two bolts.

Hi jonathan,I give you a bit of a run down on how to change the oil filter, once you have removed the plastic cover, you will see the filter housing,there will be a plug in the middle of the filter housing, that you will need to undo with a 3/8 socket bar, after you have taken the plug out,you insert the plastic drain tube you will need to have a plastic container handy, because all the oil will drain out of the filter and housing, once all the oil has drained out, remove the drain tube and the small oring should come out with the drain tube, once thats done its time to remove the filter housing you will need the special service tool, the tool looks like a big socket that goes on the end of 3/8 socket bar , I bought mine at toyota in the spare department,I think it was around$25, once the housing undone you will see the paper cartridge filter inside the housing, take the old filter out and give the housing a good clean, I use petrol and a old paint brush, which works well, once cleaned , dry it all and put the new filter in and take the large old oring off and replace it with the new oring, the oring needs to go in the groove just below the thread, but the instructions will be on the filter box, once the oring is on, smear engine oil on the oring and screw the housing back on and the tighten with the service tool, now its time to put the plug back in the middle of the housing, but just before the plug goes in, you need to put the small oring in where the plug goes, it has a groove it sits in, put a smear of clean engine oil on the oring aswell and now the plug can go back in, you have to be carefull you dont pinch the oring while doing the plug back up, once the plug done up ,you home and hosed and thats it, as I said theres instructions on the box that the filter comes with, so its pretty easy, I cant say im a big fan of these types of filters , but there been around a long time, actually our tractors have the paper cartridge filters aswell, so im use to them, sorry I couldnt give you pictures, but im new to these computers and im still learning so oneday I will know how to upload photos, but I hope it gives you a bit of a idea anyway mate. I put this reply on the other topic on using premium oil, but I think the thread got closed lastnight after things got out of hand with the comments of some of forum members to each other, but mate I thought reply over here to your question, hopefully theres not another round of fighting on this thread and this thread gets closed. Edited by CROCO

• 2 weeks later...

ahh finally some uselful info from CROCO and less of the my cocks bigger and more knowledgeable than your *****...:-))

seriously guys we are talking Klugers and bloody Camrys here not F1 performance engines, my mate and neighbour is a mechanic at a "stealership" and will openly admit that their charges are a huge rip off, but as far as Oil goes he reackons there is nothing wrong with the Toyota oil they use, as mentuioned earlier its been recommended for the motors after massive amounts of R&D.

his take on all these specialty oils - good marketing! he reackons unless your actively racing your machine(unlikely in a 7 seat family truckster) you dont need all the hi performance stuff, he says by all means if you have money to burn and it helps you sleep at night then go for the royal and mobil 1 etc....but if you plan to use the Kluger as the maker intended the Toyota oil changed regularly is all you need.

Hi danny, I been using dealership oil for the last three vehicles and none of my cars have missed a beat, I also change my oil in between services, which is every 5000km with a filter and use castrol gtx 10w 30 , sure its not the best oil avaliable but I find it does the job and the proof is in the pudding, my old prado had just over 200000kms on it when I sold it and the engine was in perfect condition and ran just as good as prados with 50000kms, if not better, I dont mean go and buy crap oil from the supermarket and buy cheap filters, but you dont have to spend a fortune either.

Danny your right all you need is regular servicing and maintance for maxium vehicle life and performance.