Turn Signals not working at night

wishbone

Hey guys,

I hope someone can help me with this problem. Last week the cigarette lighter wire burned as a result of the fuse not doing its job. When this occured the turn signals shorted out when i tried to turn right. An auto electrician replaced the cigarrette wire and the turn signal wires. Everything works fine, however, at night when i turn the headlights on, the turn signals dont work at all. Instead both the turn signal lights turn on permanently on the dash. If i need to indicate at night, i need to turn off my headlights and then signal. This has become dangerous in certain situations.

I hope someone can help me out with my issue, i havent got much money to spend, i wanted to sell the camry and buy myself a ute but i dont think i can sell it at this state. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

You are correct int hat you won't get a road worthy with the indicators not working properly.

Up to you if you want the previous auto electrician to have a look at why it doing what it is doing, or could try someone else. Auto electronics are a funny thing and experience really helps.

When they signals on the dash come on, is there still the clicking that indicators do? Or is it silent? I'm thinking if it is silent the relay(s) might be playing up.

Could also be a dodgy connection somewhere in the steering column.

If they work without the head lights on, but don't when head lights are on, there's the possibility that the auto electrician has connected the turn signal wires incorrectly. if you trust the guy, take it back and asked him to fix the problem at no cost.

You are correct int hat you won't get a road worthy with the indicators not working properly.

Up to you if you want the previous auto electrician to have a look at why it doing what it is doing, or could try someone else. Auto electronics are a funny thing and experience really helps.

When they signals on the dash come on, is there still the clicking that indicators do? Or is it silent? I'm thinking if it is silent the relay(s) might be playing up.

Could also be a dodgy connection somewhere in the steering column.

It silent. The both turn signal lights, light up and there are no lights on the dash. ill try to a get a picture soon. Im not sure what to do with the car, its such a pain that i cant drive it at night.

If they work without the head lights on, but don't when head lights are on, there's the possibility that the auto electrician has connected the turn signal wires incorrectly. if you trust the guy, take it back and asked him to fix the problem at no cost.

He told me he just changed the burnt wires and reconnected them. I dont know him, i just called the first person who was the cheapest. I dont want to spend any money on it, as i wanted to sell the car. Such bad luck, Had my heart set on a nice hilux but i guess that has to wait :(

I have uploaded a picture of the issue with lights turned on. Also just realised the high beam light comes on too, thats a bit strange.

Thanks guys for all the input really appreciate the help! I guess if my toyota isnt reliable, at least i can turn to this forum for reliability :)

post-6463-0-88839700-1346232796_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

No it wouldn't, certainly with a 1995 model. I've tried one on my 2001 model and it doesn't work..I believe it will work on the more recent models. Would need someone to advise on that.

Seems to me you may have damaged something more when the short occurred, such as indicator stalk contacts etc... You are going to have to take it either to a REALLY good auto electrician or Toyota themselves..