Gear stick hard to take out of P

aem

Does anyone else find their gear stick not slidding out of P easily? sometimes i have to give it a good yanking and it makes a bad grazing noise :(

Can this be resolved?

Does this usually happen when you are parked on an incline? If so, here's something to consider:

May I direct you to this thread. Yes it says 'uphill' in it, but the symptom can be replicated on any surface. Does this sound like your issue?

Clunks into gear when car is uphill

the park gear has a bit of free movement in it, maybe about an inch of movement on the wheels either way, you can test this by parking on a flat surface, putting it in park (no footbrake) then getting out and pushing the car forwards untill it stops, then backwards, and you can see the free play that the park gear has.

when you are engaging the park gear and the footbrake on an incline, you aren't putting the footbrake in enough, and the only thing stopping your car from rolling is the "locking" action of the park gear. so the gears are all jammed together, that is why they clunk out/in to/from gear when on an incline, because it has to force the gears to "unlock"

suggest putting the footbrake on more firmly, i think 3 clicks is not enough, the normal is about 5-7 clicks (check car manual, should be written in there).

When in Park, the transmission engages a pin (or something like that) which holds the gears stationary, effectively locking the drive wheels. If you are on an incline and the weight of the car is on the "pin" there will be more friction on the pin as it disengages. Clunk.

Exactly what Zerko said with respect to a locking pin. It's not actually the effect of any form of gear jamming up as has also been mentioned but its the locking mechanism that all the weight is put on. If you would like to learn more, have a read here:

Anyways, in posts in the past as well, it has been said by others as well that the Aurion does tend to roll a little backwards after the park brake is applied. This is primarily due to the park brake design. My recommendation when parking on an incline would be as follows:

1) Come to a complete stop.

2) Put car in neutral

3) Engage park brake fully

4) Release normal brake slowly

5) Let car roll back/forward a little. If it rolls too much, you definitely have to get your park brake adjusted.

6) Once your foot is fully off the brake and your car is stopped completely by the park brake, put the shifter into Park.

It's everytime and even on level surfaces i'm afraid. It doesn't feel smooth when getting it out of Park (P) and also there's the clunk sound after putting it into gear. The grazing is pretty bad.

I too experience this problem, a massive clunk sometimes. It doesn't happen all the time , which seems more odd.

As I said only sometimes it happens, but it's really and I mean really painful to hear

DJKOR, is there a way to get this fixed at the mechanics?

Bty thanks for the informative post.

Honestly don't know. I could only explain for your issue if it was based on what I mentioned in my post. Yours seems to be of a different cause. I guess a mechanic could help diagnose it, but I can't say straight up where the issue may be coming from.

Ps your avatar is NWS :whistling: but HS (Home Safe) lol.

I guess. I still classify it as work safe by today's standards. She still has underwear on :lol: