Static electricity

hotrodder23

For some years now I have been getting electric shocks from my Toyota's. Mostly when I get out of my current drive and I touch some metal part of the door and .ZAP! It's really starting to annoy me. .Any possible and realistic solutions folks are welcome..Let's keep the wisecracks to a minimum though..lol

My Sportivo with its nylon and neoprene seats were really good at building up a static charge that would always get me. I have two solutions:

1) Get some anti-static clothing spray. You find this at your local supermarket next to all the pantyhose. You simply lightly spray the seats and you are set for a couple of weeks even more.

2) Alternatively, once you get out of the car, swing your hand quickly so that your fingers make quick contact with the black plastic that is part of the door trim that covers the centre pillar. The plastic will add a little bit of resistance to the electric charge that will go from the metal beneath it to your fingers making the discharge a little "softer" and the motion of brushing your fingers past it and making quick contact will mask the feeling of any static discharge.

Anyone who gets in my car has the same issue

I've now made a habit of holding on to the door frame above the window as I'm getting out of the car, haven't had a zap in the last year :)

This is common with most cars not just toyota =P , its just your pants rubbing against the seat and generating static, What i always do is open the door first before I slide out of the car and grab maybe the roof or anything metal before getting out. That way when you do slide out of your seat and generate static; the electricity generated will be dispersed out of your body immediately :)

I used to get it from the leather seats, was annoying but interestingly enough and im not sure why but now that i have an electronic rust module fitted it doesn’t happen anymore.

Thanks for the idea's fellas. Certainly the rubber strap is an oldie but does it work? (kinda reminds me of a device I had on the ute before that was supposed to keep roos away..lol that didn't work.) What is the electronic rust module about Matthew? I've taken to not touching any metal at the moment to be on the safe side though. Hey what about Brocky's Polariser idea from years back..maybe something like that might work. Anyone remember that one?