Toyota Camry Sportivo 2003, electric cut off issue

jmasood

Hi guys, my car has interim issue with power which cuts off when i press breaks or use indicator etc.... I have to turn the car off and restart again and most of the time it works fine for a while.

Car does not turn off itself when it happens just headlights and inner clock display goes dimm and cd player restarts as well.

Thanks in advance.

- J

Thanks for reply Jeff. But car starts quickly and fine everytime and when i turn it off and turn back on the issue get fixed. After turning off and turning on some times it goes away for days. I purchased new battery back in April.

there is a short circuit somewhere in the wires? does the cluster board dim out as well? i had the wires off the tail light clusters touching the back metal parts and the cluster displayed a funky show of flashing lights when i hit the brakes.

I have the exact same problem with my 2003 v6 Altise ! MY God I finely found some one else who has the same problem ! Now when mine plays up the CD Player powers off and High beams dimmer 50% ! The guages on the dash go a bit wild and flicker ..... badly when you go to restart the car and some times you wont get it to restart as the guages flicker ( Speedo & Tacho ) . It usually will restart after 4 attempts in cycling the key ....

Now I have had periods of the AC not working as a result of this short then randomly the AC starts working again ....../ I have had a problem with the rear elect windows since the car was new they will play up 1 out of 500 uses which i know is no major problem buts the only EVER problem i have had with the car since i got it new in 2004.

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone regarding this matter and where to look electrically

www.facebook.com/legand

0403 266 320

orangeroosters@hotmail.com.au

My 2003 Camry Sportivo had central locking issues every now and again since early 2011 and the Service Dept couldnt find anything wrong with it...

In Oct 2012, I had a flat battery in which I got RAC to come and have a look at it... being under warranty and the batt showing as faulty, they replaced it. Within 2 days, the battery is flat again. So they checked the charge and when idle, the alternator is doing its job but when the aircon, headlight and stereo is on, it is draining the battery quite quickly. Very strange that the batt light is not lighting up as this is a sign that the alternator is not working properly!?

Anyway, had the alternator replaced and since then I noticed that the central locking is heaps more responsive so not sure if my alternator was starting to play up over 12 months ago and only really crapped itself out this month.

The mechanic I spoke to from Toyota told me that they are getting quite a few Gen5 Camry's with bad alternators in the last year or so?!?!

Edited by Steins

My alternators still fine... bought the car in 2004, as for battery replacements, replaced twice between 2004-present (last year being the latest replacement)

wire short? bad ground?

i would check all the electrical wiring, globes, fuses to the lamps. if you can't find it. call an auto electrician.

good luck