Alternator whine - Killing me!

rawso

So recently I installed my stereo system and I have a faint but audible alternator whine coming through the speakers, driving me nuts. I've isolated the issue to somewhere between the amp and the head unit. I have tried multiple routes for the rca cables but still audible. I've tried ground loop isolators. I've tried earthing the headunit better. Still getting the same dam whine. Anyone else got any suggestions on how to get rid of this?

Pioneer Avic-F40BT, ONX4.125 Amp, Aeropro RCA cables (5m long).

Next stage is to buy better quality RCA's unless someone else has a suggestion?

So recently I installed my stereo system and I have a faint but audible alternator whine coming through the speakers, driving me nuts. I've isolated the issue to somewhere between the amp and the head unit. I have tried multiple routes for the rca cables but still audible. I've tried ground loop isolators. I've tried earthing the headunit better. Still getting the same dam whine. Anyone else got any suggestions on how to get rid of this?

Pioneer Avic-F40BT, ONX4.125 Amp, Aeropro RCA cables (5m long).

Next stage is to buy better quality RCA's unless someone else has a suggestion?

Mine has whine. Just like you, I've narrowed it down to HU or amp. And you know what? I believe it's the pioneer head unit.

Your problem sounds 100% like mine and the trouble shooting you've taken sounds identical.

I bet for some reason there's something up with these pioneer HU's.

Hmmmm. I really don't know what the answer is to our issues! Gona give it one last go tomorrow. I don't think new cables will make a difference.

I had this issue in my old car also with a pioneer head unit. I changed everything amps rcas speakers but I just couldn't get rid of it. Now it makes sense that it was the head unit. Try swapping it out and see if that fixes the issue

I dont really have another unit to test with. Plus, spending close to 2k on a headunit, you kinda dont expect somthing like this....

Frustrating as all hell I tell ya. I might make a video and put it up. See how we go.

I've also emailed pioneer see what they come back with. I'm convinced its the head unit...

Yeah, I believe it's the HU. It seems Chris also had the same problem. Tried everything and couldn't fix it, but also had a pioneer HU.

If you actually google alternator whine and look at the very last link on page one someone mentions how they fixed alternator whine from their pioneer HU.

WTF is wrong with these pioneers I have no clue. Something maybe that is cheap or crap with their power sources in the HU?

Oh yeah, and guess what? My mate has a civic. We tried EVERYTHIHG to get rid of alternator whine. And you know what? He also has a pioneer !!

Edited by Silver-Aurion

Lol to say all pioneer has alternator whine from a couple of cases is a bit ... Have you using a new rca cable yet? Run it crudely in the car through the ski port if amp is in the boot and see if you got the whine still. Next option is to get a friend with a system that is easy to get to, and test it in his car. Make sure he doesnt have any alt whine first though. I'd say its an amp issue.

Lol to say all pioneer has alternator whine from a couple of cases is a bit ... Have you using a new rca cable yet? Run it crudely in the car through the ski port if amp is in the boot and see if you got the whine still. Next option is to get a friend with a system that is easy to get to, and test it in his car. Make sure he doesnt have any alt whine first though. I'd say its an amp issue.

I had a Pioneer MVH-8250BT which I returned (cause it didn't do what it said it would do, but still picked up the piece of ship headunit you've heard me whinge about) but it suffered the same problem.

Going by the 2 other guys in this thread, I'd say that pretty much guarantees that all Pioneer headunits suffer from alternator whine.

I tried a ground loop isolator, all that did was reduce the quality of the signal. The amp is under the passenger seat. I feel as tho the amp is fine...I've unplugged the RCA's at the amp and no noise. But when I unplug them at the head unit (leaving them connected at the amp) there is a continuous (but not alternator) noise.

Speaking of quality, I find that the radio signal is pretty poor in the aurion. I'm not sure if again its the head unit or more the aurion but the signal is quite poor. Its a constant sort of sound, again high pitched and only seems to come on the one radio station I happen to listen too (Nova). On other stations, there's still a poor signal but not that high pitch noise. More just bad reception. I've bought a "booster" off ebay, which add's 12V to the antenna although I'm reluctant to try it as I dont know exactly what it will do to the traffic tuner (comes with the pioneer head unit, little box thing).

Hmm!

I got a responce from pioneer today,

" It is possible that the RCA outputs of the AVICF40BT are damaged. In many instances what usually causes the RCA outputs to fail and allow engine noise into the system is making hot connections between the various products used in the car audio system. A quick test to check if the AVICF40BT has damage RCA outputs is the temporarily connect the shield of the RCA cable to the chassis of the unit. Alternately if you have already isolated the issue to the RCA outputs please organise to have the unit checked by one of the authorised repairers in your area. On the Pioneer website there is a Store Finder which will direct you the nearest Service Agents in your area. If you cannot locate a suitable repairer please remove the AVIC from the car and send it into Pioneer Service at 5 Arco Lane Heatherton VIC 3202.'

I'm not sure what I should expect when I ground the shield...

• 3 weeks later...

Do you still have the whine?

If so, remove the seat bolt, and file (or sand) the face of the washer so the steel is exposed. This can help.

Also make sure the RCA's arent running in parallel with the power cable at any stage. (ie, not cable tied together)