Turbos

Barny

I have just recently purchased a 1990 Celica gt4 st 185

It is basically stock

I have noticed that the turbo is Not boosting like it should an upon pulling it apart there is play in fins plus oil residue which means need new turbo (already fixed oil leaks on engine as it still had crappy standard gaskets)

As it is only a ct26 what bigger turbos would suit that pretty much bolt on to the existing pipes and also how hard is it to install a front mount intercooler

Get a ct20b turbo as it will bolt straight on but will need a new dump pipe. Or you can get a v band flange i think and then get a garrett 28 series which is really good but will need custom dump and front mount. Do you have a carlos sainz front bumper at all? If so check if you have the revised crash bar. If you do it will be much easier than a stock one as it will need a relocation of the battery to the boot.

^ so much this.

But on a serious note, a CT20B from a SW20 MR2 is a decent upgrade, but get the thing rebuilt first.

You could also look at a T3 or something simiar but you will need a manifold adapter and a new dump pipe.

Ok so if I want bigger boost a t3 or t28 would be the go not to worried about doing manifolds etc as it is a project I have always been a fan of the 28s but Wots the t3's like for an awd car

t3 and t4e is the same housing as the ct26 just bored out and stuff. The wastegate cannot cope with this amount of boost created from this set up and will cause massive spikes and boost creep. You are better off getting better turbo