Running in a Landcruiser 200

Scooter80

Hi all,

This Thursday I finaly get to pick up my brand new GXL Landcruiser 200. Now I maybe over cautious but is there any recomendations about running these in? I will of course ask the dealer on pick up what their recomendations are but I was hoping for some prior knowledge before pick up as most dealers these day say that running in is not needed. I beg to differ though.

Thoughts?

Scott,

I have a June 2009 model 200 4.5 GXL and have never had any issues with oil consumption like others have. My approach to running in was I did a couple of freeway trips quite sedately for the first 1000k's and then I drove it like I stole it for the next 1000k's. I was always the first of the lights and if there was a step hill then I would floor it. I believe this beds the rings in and therefore no oil usage issues.

Regards Rod

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

This Thursday I finaly get to pick up my brand new GXL Landcruiser 200. Now I maybe over cautious but is there any recomendations about running these in? I will of course ask the dealer on pick up what their recomendations are but I was hoping for some prior knowledge before pick up as most dealers these day say that running in is not needed. I beg to differ though.

Thoughts?

Do not pussy foot around in it you will glaze the cyliners drive it quite hard under load etc and you will have a good motor

Thanks guys for the advice. I'll keep an eye on the consumption and post how I go in a few months. Now I've done 1000kms and had the service inspection it is fun surprising petrol cars just how quick off the mark the big Cruiser really is!

Cheers!

Yeah scott those v8 twin turbo diesels pack a punch,the power delievery is smooth and effortlessly, I had a drive of one of mates friends and loved it, let tell you it was hard to hand the keys back, he wasnt interested in suggestion on swapping the kluger for it LOL :P ah well it was worth a shot.

Good on you mate, you got your self a nice rig, hope you enjoy it, oneday eventually I get one.

Cheers David, I know how much it killed me just waiting to sign the beast up let alone pick it up! Especially when you start seeing the bloody things everywhere driving around the place so I know the feeling of the envy. However I must admit I do really love my "KLUGGER" still! Hang in there mate, the right one will come along soon I'll bet!

• 6 months later...

Update: I have just clicked over 20,00kms and no engine issues thus far. I have completed 2 off road trips now towing a small trailer and she hasn't skipped a beat. I did have to replace a fuel filter after the last trip as I refuel a lot out of jerry cans but the guys at Toyota were more than happy to show me how to replace one if I am out in the scrub and the need arises. However I am installing an inline 30 micron fuel filter just in case!

So far so good!

• 1 month later...

General theory I was told was to drive easy for first 1000km then drive hard to create some load on the engine.

I found the problem was how do you put load on the engine and stay within the speed limit?

I drove up Cunninghams Gap and Towoomba Range to try and put some load on the engine, but found the speed limits on these roads prevented such driving.

Any time I found a hill I would accellerate up it, but all the cruiser did was blast past the speed limit with little or no sign of effort.

After a few thousand kms I bought a 3 ton caravan. Towing the caravan was the best way to put load on the engine.

Even travelling through western NSW - Broken Hill - South Aus in 40 plus deg temps, the cruiser handled everything with ease. Used a small amount of oil, about 1 - 2 litres in 7000km, which is to be expected considering the work and conditions.

Rgds,

Ken

Landcruiser VDJ76R - V8 Diesel

Only one hairdryer....

Edited by kenuppa

• 5 months later...

Hi guys

" 1-2 litres per 7000k is to be expected" !!!!

Hmmmmm I wouldn't have thought so !!!

I pick up my new GXL next Friday and coming from my much loved Pajero that never used a drop of oil, ( might I add) my new cruiser wouldn't want to use have that sort of consumption. ( surely that's not acceptable)????

If this is the fact and is considered a normality !!! Can someone please confirm this.

I had heard some horror stories like this but thought they were all untrue !!!

On the eve of my purchase I'm starting to doubt my decision after reading issues such as this.

Thanks for your time

Hey Hollywood,

I did the whole take it easy for the first 1000kms then flogged it for the next 1000km. I've just clicked over 40,000km with no problems at all. I drive it all day everyday in the city for work and have done about 6 remote trips with trailer and still no problems. I think the oil usage issue only really arises when towing heavy loads.

I too was apprehensive after reading about the oil usage issue, hence this thread, but after 18mths and 40,000kms I don't regret my purchase 1 bit.

I hope this helps put you at ease a bit!

On my last trip towing the caravan I used less than 500ml of oil.

It does depend what oil you use.

Toyota claim they use Valvoline 5w30 Syn power - fully synthetic oil.

Read your owners manual. It may state that some oild use is to be expected.

Volkswagon also state that oil use is to be expected with thier new diesel engines.

I cant believ that your Pajero did not use oil. It was probably replacing it with diesel, and therefore appearing to maintain the same level on your dipstick. Everytime I am in traffic behind a Mitsubishi, sigma-magna-pajero, the smell of half burnt oil is horrific. Most always see the trail of smoke from thier exhaust when they take off from the lights. They must be the most filthy engines on the road.

Rgds,

Ken

Thanks for your reply guys

Much appreciated.

We have had the paj for neatly 3 years and done a multitude of trips (van weighs2.5t) never has it used a drop.

Almost D day so well see how we go.

Shall keep you posted.

Thanks again