Problems with buying used aurion

Clint_a

Hey again.

After quite alot of research and test driving,I have decided to buy a used 07'-09' used presara. My question is, is there anything to look out for when buying these cars? how many kms is to many with the Aurion?

Any advice or opinions would be very much appreciated.

Hi There,

Obviously there is a variety of factors that affect the purchase of a second hand car. The one thing that I always advocate is service history, service history, service history. The number one killer of modern engines is poor maintenance, and especially missing oil change intervals. Get the log book out and study it carefully. If there is any missed services (in the log book) then you just can’t tell what has happened unless it is a private sale and you trust the owner. Personally, I would not buy a vehicle that has even a single missed service, especially a Japanese designed engine. If the vehicle you are looking at has been serviced at a Toyota dealer, it has almost certainly used Castrol Magnatec which is not only poor oil, it also ages quickly, so a car that has (potentially) gone 20000km’s with Magnatec in it would be best avoided IMHO.

It goes without saying that the newest car with lowest km’s you can find in your budget is a good idea. Once you find a vehicle that ticks all the boxes, then find a mechanic you can trust to look the vehicle over (NOT one recommended by the dealer under any circumstances). You can make an offer on the vehicle subject to a mechanical inspection by your mechanic. For the sake of $100 or so, it gives you some additional peace of mind.

Good luck!

Edited by rollaurion

Shame you are not in Victoria. I'm selling my Aurion Touring. Very well looked after and in perfect condition with many extras.

As others said regular servicing is a must. Might be a good idea to have car checked by your mechanic before committing If seller has nothing to hide will gladly agree with inspection.

Thank you all for your advise, helped me Out alot.

I'm looking to buy a presara, but appreciate the offer.

One more thing, why are cars for Queensland cheaper then nsw?

I bought a 07' Presara 3 years ago and overall it's been a great car. My number 1 advice would be to CHECK EVERYTHING! The Presara has some great toys such as keyless entry, memory seating, auto everything and even pop-up blinds for the rear window.

The problem is that if anything breaks or isn't working, then it's big bucks to fix. An example are the low beam swivel HID lights. Mine needed replacing a couple of years ago and the quote from Toyota to replace the globes.....$1100!!

Even just updating the maps dvd for the sat nav is about $300. The list goes on and on.

Like I said at the beginning though, I really like my presara and it has been almost faultless for 3 years, still a really smooth and comfortable ride even though it's clocked about 110,000k's. Everything works but I dread the day when things stop because it would cost a bucket load to fix.

It was around $1100 I was shocked to learn the cost of a new tail light, (I seriously hope they don't ever break.) I can't imagine it costing Toyota more than $100 to manufacture them and yet they extort us for over $1000...just shocking

It was around $1100 I was shocked to learn the cost of a new tail light, (I seriously hope they don't ever break.) I can't imagine it costing Toyota more than $100 to manufacture them and yet they extort us for over $1000...just shocking

If you're referring to my $1100 quote, it wasn't even the taillight, it was just to change the front low beam globes! HID lights have a life span of about 3 years and to buy 2 news globes was about $900 and the cost of fitting was a further $200. I read somewhere that HID globes needed to be changed in pairs as new and old globes projected different colours. Toyota stated they had to remove the front bumper to get to the lighting unit just to change the bulbs.

The only other part that's failed me on the Presara was the parcel shelf brake light and that cost about $450 to replace by Toyota.

I remember those 2 things breaking at the same time and it really affected my joy of owning a presara but since then, it's been faultless and (fingers crossed) no more electrical issues.

It was around $1100 I was shocked to learn the cost of a new tail light, (I seriously hopes they don't ever break.) I can't imagine it costing Toyota more than $100 to manufacture them and yet they extort us for over $1000...just shocking

If you're referring to my $1100 quote, it wasn't even the taillight, it was just to change the front low beam globes! HID lights have a life span of about 3 years and to buy 2 news globes was about $900 and the cost of fitting was a further $200. I read somewhere that HID globes needed to be changed in pairs as new and old globes projected different colours. Toyota stated they had to remove the front bumper to get to the lighting unit just to change the bulbs.

The only other part that's failed me on the Presara was the parcel shelf brake light and that cost about $450 to replace by Toyota.

I remember those 2 things breaking at the same time and it really affected my joy of owning a presara but since then, it's been faultless and (fingers crossed) no more electrical issues.

Why on earth are you paying Toyota's ridiculous prices for such simple work? Sorry, but $1100 to change some HID lights is a joke.

It was around $1100 I was shocked to learn the cost of a new tail light, (I seriously hopes they don't ever break.) I can't imagine it costing Toyota more than $100 to manufacture them and yet they extort us for over $1000...just shocking

Why on earth are you paying Toyota's ridiculous prices for such simple work? Sorry, but $1100 to change some HID lights is a joke.

Ididnt pay toyota to do it as the price was too high, I ended up doing it myskef after buying the globesoff ebay but even then the globes were about 150 bucks.

As for the task of changing globes,i agree it is a straight forward task but have you seen the head light unit on a presara? As the lights auto swivel as you turn, the unit is completely sealed and access is not as straight forward as you think.

Most Dealers actually use a Toyota branded Semi-Synthetic 10w30, made by caltex specificly for Toyota, but agree 100% service history is a massive factor. Min 15k/1year between services, but more often is better. A few other issues

• VVTI controllers (brief rattle on start up mainly when cold).
  • Steering intermediate shafts (clunking noise from steering, not a safety issue just annoying)
  • Leaking water pumps (look for any pink chalky residue in the engine bay

If the vehicle you are looking at has been serviced at a Toyota dealer, it has almost certainly used Castrol Magnatec which is not only poor oil, it also ages quickly,

Most Dealers actually use a Toyota branded Semi-Synthetic 10w30, made by caltex specificly for Toyota, but agree 100% service history is a massive factor. Min 15k/1year between services, but more often is better. A few other issues

• VVTI controllers (brief rattle on start up mainly when cold).
  • Steering intermediate shafts (clunking noise from steering, not a safety issue just annoying)
  • Leaking water pumps (look for any pink chalky residue in the engine bay

If the vehicle you are looking at has been serviced at a Toyota dealer, it has almost certainly used Castrol Magnatec which is not only poor oil, it also ages quickly,

Notwithstanding the fact that Toyota branded oil is magnatec with a slightly different additive package, most dealers I have been involved with don't bother and buy the cheaper magnatec. You can find empty magnatec barrels out the back...

• 2 weeks later...

"rollaurion"

Why is it best to avoid a car that's done 20000kms with magnatec oil?

This gets quite complex, but in essence some oils hold together better than others with longer oil change intervals. Castrol Magnatec starts to break down early in comparison to many other oils and is one of the worst oils to miss a change interval with. If you are inclined then hop over to bob is the oil guy and have a read. Personally I avoid Castrol oils full stop, but most especially magnatec. If you look at a used oil analysis of Magnatec, compared to a like vehicle analysis of higher quality oil (Mobil 1, Shell Helix Ultra, Fuchs Titan Supersyn) you will see early indicators of wear in the magnatec. This is just another reason not to take you vehicle to dealers for service. No independent mechanic that (really) knows their stuff would put Magnatec in their customers cars.

With all that said there is basically no oil on the market that will still be functioning effectively after 20000 kms in Australia.