Notchy GearBox - Part 2

I've done a bit of research in regards to fuels.

Hope this info helps.

Caltex Vortex: 95 RON / 85 MON

Shell Optimax: 98.4 RON / ?

BP Ultimate: 98 RON / ?

Mobil 8000: 98 RON / ?

Premium Unleaded: 95 RON / ?

RON = Research Octane Number

MON = Motor Octane Number

-Chris

GZE_Bandit: Where abouts did you read this?

I've visited all of the above mentioned companies and gone through and found out that info. I'm pretty sure it's 98 RON.

Unless Shell is not telling the truth about their product.

would a company do that.....NO WAY!! haaha

I can send you the PDF on Optimax if you want.

-Chris

I had my car looked at today by a service mechanic and he went for a drive with me. Interestingly, he took the Stivo into lift in 1st gear up to around 7000-8000rpm and on 5 out of 7 occassions he managed to shift out of 1st smoothly. From my experience, 8 times out of 10 times i would have difficulty shifting out of 1st when in lift at approx 8000-82000rpm. He told me the possible causes for difficulty in shifting could be due to the "spring" in the gearbox which loads up when i hit lift and in high revs, and that the spring is very tight now and hence a harder and tighter shift. He said to give it another couple of thousand kms and see if its okay. I also asked about the transmission oil and he said they recommend and only put 75W90 viscosity oil. He said i can try thinning the oil to make it easier to shift out of gear but will make it harder to shift into gear and put more load on the synchros. Also tested the clutch and he said its fine. So i think i will have to sit on it for now and see if anything happens.

• 2 weeks later...

My car was looked at by toyota.

50% tranny + 50% motor oil feels a bit smoother and lighter to drive. But I found that you can shift fast like the old days still.

The verdict: It's lighter and smoother to shift but still has a bit of tension up top when trying to go fast, i would say 80% there.

From what you are saying i guess the problem does lie in the tranny oil. My Sportivo's gearshift felt like this from Day 1, and it was even tighter then.

I tried BP Ultimate a few days ago and i can say it did not make any difference to the gearbox (was worth a try anyway :P ). The engine did feel more powerful with a bigger kick in lift this couple of days but not sure if it was the petrol or the cooler weather? But i like what BP is doing by putting a sticker stating the RON on their pumps. It would say 91RON for Regular Unleaded, 95RON for Premium Uleaded and 98RON for Ultimate. Shell doesn't do this and they should because it felt better when i saw the "98RON" at the BP Ultimate pump.

Regarding Transmission oil, has anyone tried Redline Transmission Oil and where can we get them here. Because a lot of people in the US and UK use this oil whenever they have gearbox problems.

Zee

• 4 weeks later...

Ive had this problem....i find that its only when you try to slam gear changes hard...

I found a solution for me!! If i change gears with my hand around the actual gear stick, not the gear knob it shifts 1st to 2nd every time!!

And as far as the fuel goes, ive heard bad news on carby engines and Optimax, but its meant to be great for EFI engines!

Hi,

I don't have many probs with the car, My only shift probs are caused by the reverse lock out. If I try to shift fast at high revs I usually use too much force and it gets caught there and is hard to shift.

If i grab the gear stick like a gun, I usually shift a hell of a lot better with no problems. Mainly due to not getting the stick caught in the reverse lock out area.

I have also used Optimax and nearlly every other fuel on the market with no problems.....

Peter.