My Kluger lease is up - decisions, decisions

holmesie

I will have had my Kluger 5 years in May, and the lease ends at this time..

Love the car, but the current model is really no different to mine other than some cosmetic changes.

While I would really love a diesel, and 6-speed auto I'm not sure if a Ford Territory is the right vehicle for me.

Is anyone else here contemplating a change from the Kluger or already done so?

My requirements are;

7 seater

AWD

F & S airbags

Leather

Similar price-range & specs as KX-S Kluger

Maybe diesel

May not be a Mazda CX9

Any thoughts or comments appreciated
Cheers

Hi andrew, my other car is a territory and it has been pretty car in general, we had it now for almost 5 years and in that time it hasnt had any mechanical problems, the only thing thats been replaced under the bonnet is the drive belt and the belt idler and now it seems the steering has a vibration when driving over 80KMH,Im hoping its not the ball joints which have been a problem with the territory earlier in peace, most of the rest of the car has been trouble free,the things we have replaced are the electric window master switch and the one of transpoders, which seems to be a problem on the fords but arent too bad price wise to fix, things I like about the territory are the handling, I never owned a car that handles as well as the territory, this thing goes around bends and twists like a small car,you got to remind yourself your driving a big 2 ton suv, it like its glued to the road,theres plenty off power with the 4 litre in line 6, I know there a old motor, but are strong as a ox and push 2 ton of steel along very well,fitted with the brilliant 6 speed ZF automatic transmission, it shifts so smooth and know what gear to be in all the time, its just great,the ride and comfort is like driving in your lounge chair in your favorite comfortable pyjarmis,space and seating, we had seven adults in the territory at a pinch, the seats are great on long trips, great for big aussie lanky frame, in 6 foot and find the seats offer plent of support and comfort, theres plenty of leg room ,both front and back for 5 big blokes and I got plenty of room in the back for a pram and all other junk you need on a family holiday.

Things I dont like are the fit and finish isnt as good as the toyota I have owned, the plastics seem to be on the cheap side, aswell as some of the fittings, there a few panel gaps in some of the trim panels that could be better and can rattle after a while, the rest of the vehicle seems resonably well built.

In the last 5 years the territory has been a great car for the family,we bought it second hand 6 months old with 9000kms on the clock, now the big rig got 125000kms on it and really only issue now is the steering vibrating at a certain speed, but a 6 year old car with 125000kms on it and the only problem is a steering vibration, im pretty pleased.

Would I buy another one ,yes I would.the new territory looks like a great car and are selling well,and the new diesel with awd can tow 2700kg, which is the class leader and would be a hit with caravaners or boaters and the price would be around the same as the kluger.

I love the CX9 its a nice looking car and fit and finish is brilliant, im not sure what the mechanicals are like such as the engine, I think they share the same 3.7 v6 engine as the american ford explorer, what I would like is the new kluger thats coming out next year ,which looks fantastic, but your lease is up now ,its a pity you couldnt hang out another year for the new kluger.

Thanks very much Croco, that's very good info. I have heard and read in reviews how nicely the Territory drives, and almost every one says it's the most car-like of all the these big wagons

I actually think I could possibly roll the lease over for another 12months, and as the Kluger is such a good car that could be the logical thing to do, and hope the new model is out by then

Appreciate your input, thanks again!

Holmsie

I have just completed my lease as well but my Kluger has only done 35K, working away from home.

I would like to suggest that your criteria would put you in Hyundai Sante fe territory, take a test run and let us know what you think.

Cheers

dhous

If you wait another 6 to 8 months, you should be able to get very good deal on the kluger, I think the new model will launch around end of Feb next year, similar to the timeline for Rav this year. They will be made in US as oppose to Japan.

Having said that it will be first variant of the new model, engine is the same v6 but with 6 speed transmission. There may be some niggling or glitch usually with brand new model, this will take time for Toyota resolve.

I took delivery of a 2013 model about 2 weeks ago, the incentive and discount my lease company offered was very good. I don't think I could get the same if I wait for new model next year. Being Toyota, they hold their resale value and will make a small profit when I sell it. I'm loving it so far, it's a great car and so glad we got rid of the Outlander.

Edited by Air788

Hey DHOUS,

We looked at the Santa Fe prior to settling on the Kluger. Although Santa Fe is a nice car, the Mrs has the last say. We have 2 young kids that has be in the 2nd row and when we are out with our parents, Mrs will be the one climbing in/out of the last row. I terms of practicality in our situation, Kluger wins hands down being spacious and good views from 3rd row windows.

Santa Fe will win with new technology on offer and definitely value for money. It being a new model, there are few issues With their SatNav yet to be resolved, ie Suna Traffic will not decode or warn of hold ups. It's not the end of the world, Hyundai will fix the issue but owners are frustrated because they paid $45 or $50k fot their Elite / Highlander and getting a defective SatNav. Have a read on whirlpool.

Let me say I am very happy with the Kluger but if I had to go over to Diesel the new Sante Fe would be on the list, if not staying with a Kluger would never be a bad decision.

Cheers

Dhous

• 2 weeks later...

Prado is a great choice, there absolutely beatifull cars to drive and ride in, I would love a new prado, especialy kakadu,my car I think will be another prado, I sat in one while my kluger was getting serviced a while ago,the interior is definetly bigger inside and has a better back seat than the kluger, if I had the extra money at the time ,when I bought my kluger ,I would of bought the prado instead,dont get me wrong I love the kluger ,but I think the prado is a better car,just my oppinion.

• 2 weeks later...

The Prado is a different class of car with great offroad ability, but definately does not have more room than the Kluger and is not better to drive, a number of us over here in the Pilbara WA own Klugers, and drive Prados most days, our choice unanimously for urban travel is the Kluger.

Cheers

Dhous

I agree the prado is a different class of car, but I dont agree that the prado isnt roomier,the second back row seat is wider ,that middle dicky seat isnt nice to sit in,just ask anyone who has sat there and the cargo area is longer and wider.

Driving the two ,I dont think theres much in it,I still lke the the prado better to drive,but I reckon there as comfortable as each other,but the vision is better in the prado,so is the driving position,the prado is easier to see out of,especialy when reversing and parking.

As I said before and on other posts I have made ,I love the kluger and would buy another one any time, but after owning a prado and now a kluger , I still like the prado better out of the two cars , I know its probadly me and my oppinion.

• 3 months later...

My lease is at a point where I may be able to break even if I sell my Kluger, so I too have looked at other cars recently as potential replacements for my KXR. Here is my opinion based on recent test drives..

1. Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x2 Petrol - Great looking car from the outside. Smaller in rear seat legroom and boot. Poor and unresponsive throttle particularly from start position or after turning a corner. Left hand blinker. The first demo I drove was out of synch, the car shook!

2. Ford Territory . Nice drive. Lacks rear passenger space and seat a little too firm. Similar fuel economy ( petrol version). Aussie production ceases in 2016. Possible resale unreliability..

3. Sante Fe - Unusual steering feel. Lacked power. Less room than Kluger

4. Subaru Forrester -XT - 2.5 litre Turbo. Good power and feel, fun to drive. Too small for family purposes.

5. Mitsubishi Pajero - High ride for driver and passengers. Diesel engine very loud.

6. Mazda CX9 - Great styling, very modern .Smooth engine. Slightly lower ride than Kluger. Well priced. Driver cockpit lacked legroom was only negative.... claustrophobic feel..

Overall I have yet to drive anything as impressive as my Kluger kxr. The Kluger may be lacking in interior style and some modern technology, however its comfortable, has plenty of power ( responsive accelerator) and room for the family are all positives that will keep me interested for the 2014 update.