hign rpms in 4th 5th and 6th gear

Hi

I have 2011 Corolla Sports Sedan Manual.

I have recently noticed that my car is doing 200 rpm more on 4th 5th and 6th gear. Say for example on 4th gear at 70km it is doing 2600 rpm on 5th gear at 100km it is doing 3200.

It is perfect on 2nd and 3rd gear. What could be the problem.

Thanks

Your question is a little hard to understand, do you mean it is revving 200rpm higher in 4/5/6th than it did previously? Has anything else changed in that time? (tyres, tyre pressures, engine/transmission service etc). Quite likely it is affecting 1st/2nd/3rd as well, just the ratios are short enough that the difference is minimal (200rpm makes a big difference in speed in 6th compared to 1st)

i read what OP just posted and i don't see a problem if there even is a problem?. its just how the gear ratios are. they wont change. tyre pressure will make SFA difference unless its like 20psi to 40 psi... changing the tyres rolling diameter for example will make the ratios a bit longer or shorter depending on decreasing or increasing it.

Hi

Previously when I was driving in 6th hear at 80km it was doing 2000 rpm. Now it is sitting at 2200 rpm.

There is no change in tyre pressure or any modification to the engine.

In 3rd gear at 2000 rpm it is doing 40km which was the case before also.

I noticed this only when my fuel consumption went high form 6.3 to 7 per 100 now.

thanks

You havent by any chance put rediculously ultra low profile tyres on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To check out what rpm it is actually doing, suss one out at a car yard and take it for a spin and note exactly what its doing in each gear at a given speed

Below is the speed it is doing at 2000 rpm

1st gear - 20

2nd - 30

3rd - 40

4th - 55 it was doing 60 before

5th - 65 It was doing 70 before

6th - 75 It was doing 80 before

If clutch is wearing out then it should affect all the gear. I am confused what actually is the problem. My service is due in a week. But even if i raise this issue with the dealer their typical answer is "NO FAULT FOUND".

lol duy .... r u sure ur speedo isnt out ? .... u knw gauges are known to develop faults over time .... it may only be affecting higher speeds or getting worse at higher speeds which is why its visible then and only in the higher gears.

• 1 month later...