Grinding sound from underneath

sportiv

good evening ladies and gentlemen,,

2hrs ago - went to the gym , on return i started my car up and low and behold a disgusting sound appeared to be coming from my engine bay and underneath and possibly exhaust,, i had a look under the car no visible signs of damage, for information required i have an 03 stivo with ces exhaust and cai and other bits.. im not sure what may have caused this problem.. im currently running small doses of upper cylinder head cleaner aswell but im sure that this is not the cause.. could anyone offer suggestions..

cheers

GREG

Hiyas,

This is most likely could be either exhaust or clutch related.

If it is clutch related see if the noise alternates when you push the clutch pedal in and out. It possibly could be the thrust or throwout bearing or a worn clutch plate.

If it is exhaust related try bringing the revs up and down to see if the noise changes. It possibly could be an exhaust headshield rattling, or possibly the baffle inside your exhaust starting to collapse.

Hiyas,

This is most likely could be either exhaust or clutch related.

If it is clutch related see if the noise alternates when you push the clutch pedal in and out. It possibly could be the thrust or throwout bearing or a worn clutch plate.

If it is exhaust related try bringing the revs up and down to see if the noise changes. It possibly could be an exhaust headshield rattling, or possibly the baffle inside your exhaust starting to collapse.

muffler or part of exhaust gooooone maybe

rubbish stuck under ur car dragging on ground :)

haja

my suggestion is hook up with a few of the other QLD members and see if they can help sort this out with u ..... i knw thats not much of a solution because they are a useless bunch but atleast its a start :P ;) :D :P ;) :D .... LOL ....

But seriously explaining noises, pitch, circumstances etc on the forum is really hard to do and its best to experience this in real life ......

i'll be out on thursday night as per usual... i just had a quick call to craig to allow him to listen to it.. it really does sound like a heat shield.. but only occurs between 2-3k rpm.. strange.. its very raspy and rotorary like..

i'll be out on thursday night as per usual... i just had a quick call to craig to allow him to listen to it.. it really does sound like a heat shield.. but only occurs between 2-3k rpm.. strange.. its very raspy and rotorary like..

If its only under load it could be the Drive belt tensioner..

a horrible metal on metal type scraping noise similar to a heat shield rattling

I've had this SOUND since i bought my car! 05 stivo! just over 2 mths old!

i asked the dealer and they said its normal!

How do i Fix it????? what do i say to em????

Bring it around to my house and ill check if its the exact same noise mine had...

If it is you can take it to the dealer and tell them its the drive belt tensioner and have it fixed.... it is NOT normal.. and can possibly be causing damage

i had that noise today for the 1st time while i was driving .. for about 20 mins .. :(

feels like its right under me .. rattling everytime im on low revs.. im also having problems getting into 3rd on high revs now .. :angry:

can it be the clutch slipping?

went and had a word to my mate at lexus servicing,, it is an exterior noise.. so assuming loose bolts or welds in the exhaust system.. going to take it back to trev at custom exhaust specialst so he can have a look at my system that he fitted to see whats doing.. nothing to bad.. just something small we presume..

I've had this SOUND since i bought my car! 05 stivo! just over 2 mths old!

i asked the dealer and they said its normal!

How do i Fix it????? what do i say to em????

Bring it around to my house and ill check if its the exact same noise mine had...

If it is you can take it to the dealer and tell them its the drive belt tensioner and have it fixed.... it is NOT normal.. and can possibly be causing damage

Dude... I work in preston...finish at 5pm... where do ya live??? pm me your address?

If its only under load it could be the Drive belt tensioner..

a horrible metal on metal type scraping noise similar to a heat shield rattling

I think I had a similar noise in two sequential beginnings of movement with low gas in traffic jam and a/c on. Something like metal cables being trapped in the rotating wheels and scratching around?

I considered this noise as an extreme case of my usual engine noises at low rpm:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...8&st=0&p=55088&

you want to know the truth.. the coooooooota run actually seems to have fixed the problem done a few tests and the bloody noise has gone.. so back to happy days thank ***..

weird how belting your car around a mountain can fix things :D

you want to know the truth.. the coooooooota run actually seems to have fixed the problem done a few tests and the bloody noise has gone.. so back to happy days thank ***..

weird how belting your car around a mountain can fix things :D

Somehow I don't think you have any problem with this style of Mechanics.... :P