GOLF 7 vs Corolla

Hi guys,

My name is Eric. I am kinda new to this forum although I registered a while ago. I come across to this dilemma of whether getting a golf 7 comfortline or Corolla Levin. I know that they are coming from different end of the world. The prices of the cars are quite comparable as well as the capped servicing. Reliability is one of the main concerns that I look into. However, I had a go on both of the cars. Golf gave me a bit of confidence in cornering while corolla is still a corolla, which didn't surprise me in anyway.

Please throw me some thoughts.

Cheers

Having driven both cars briefly I would probably swing towards the Corolla only because it probably won't break down.. plus I am a bit biased towards the Corolla for looks in the newest models, the Golf just looks like a rehashed 2005 model MK5. If you are going for an Auto, well those VWs are a bit of a minefield with their DSG boxes.

Can't comment sensibly on handling I'm afraid, as I drove my new 86 back to back with a said Golf (was a rental, 1.4 TSI trendline I think) and after the 86 it felt like driving on four flats :P did not drive Golf and Corolla back to back, the Corolla I drove was a courtesy car. I'll put it this way - you will be equally as likely to die in either car if you choose to drive like a total *****. But I can't even lose it in my car when I try... ESP is pretty good.

Edited by DAL32

Also watch out for carbon deposit in direct injection engine in golf, and also high engine oil consumption in turbo and supercharger model... Have a look at Google about the two problems above and you will find heaps...however, in Toyota side, cvt might have issues as some drivers report here, do a research on this

Yea that recall did hold my legs from stepping in to a Vdub. After a bit of research, those recalls did fix the problems though. It doesnt seem like that will cause problem in a long run.

As I travel quiet a lot, I was actually thinking of a TDI rather than a petrol model in particular. Seeing the fuel consumption for a corolla, it is not far off from a Diesel engine. The torque from the diesel is a pretty good feeling but the delay of acceleration isn't too pleasant when overtaking or so.