My Toyota Corolla Sportivo

Hi guys,

Im new here. I have gone through your threads and read alot of things about the Corolla Sportivo.

Im at a stage where i am panicking...i dont know what to do.

I drive a Corolla Sportivo built December 2003.

I bought it brand new in March 2004...it has now got 30750 k's on it.

Ok the car got recalled...they replaced the chip...has anyone felt a difference? because i havnt...and i feel like toyota hasnt done anything..they only pretended to change it...

Also..for about the last 10000k's ive been getting squeeking noises from the wheels at low speeds..around 10km/h-15km/h...the noise sounds like someone is whistling..but it doesnt always happen..happens around 80% of the times i drive.

I recently took it for service and reported the problem...they said they oiled the suspension..but the problem still persists...im thinking maybe its the ballbearings....does anyone have any idea what this might be??

Also i have alot of trouble with my gear box. Especially changing from 1st into 2nd....i have to wait till the revs drop before i can change gears....they have been crunched so many times its not funny....

I have seen the letters and emails you guys have sent. Have got any replies yet?

Also do you suggest i write as well? if so can i have the details of the person i can contact?

Is the problem repairable under warranty??

Please advise me..as i feel (even though the car is very nice) that i have bought a heap of ****...

I dont know what to do.

For what its worth the only mod i have done to the car is throw in a TRD air filter.

Edited by RedLiner

What state are you in Redliner? We may be able to recommend to you a dealer that actually knows what they are doing. There has been a few good responses from some dealerships....

What you've been reading about TRD clutches and flywheels is that some people have upgraded their clutches and flywheels for perfomance reasons, but the other benefit's they've found is that it seems to resolve some of the shifting issues. But in most cases an adjustment of clutch performed by the dealer has resolved these issues.

I am in NSW.

I take my car to Terry Shields Toyota at Parramatta for service.

I purchased it from Western Toyota at Guildford.

What kind of adjustment do they do to the clutch????

And does anyone know anything about the squeeking coming from my wheels?

I am in NSW.

Since you purchased your car from Western Toyota they will fix it for you under warranty, I had my clutch fixed there and it's sweet as now (they have done quite a few) but as mine was not purchased there, there was some argueing about actually having the fix done (I bought the car in Adelaide when I lived there and wasn't going to drive all the way back just to get the clutch fixed :angry: ) as they said they will only fix their own customers car out of courtesy...

The whole situation just suxxx.....there shouldnt have been a problem in the first place....

Western Toyota can turn around and say to me you havnt been bringing it here for service (as i have been taking it to Terry Shields)....so we wont fix it...

..also...Terry shields can turn around and say you didnt buy it from us so we wont fix it...but then again i took it there for the recall and change for the ECU and they didnt say anything....

and even though i will take it to either one of the two they will tell me there isnt a problem...at low revs the gears change pefrectly....

but then again the car wasnt designed to change gears at low revs :D

I am in NSW.

Since you purchased your car from Western Toyota they will fix it for you under warranty, I had my clutch fixed there and it's sweet as now (they have done quite a few) but as mine was not purchased there, there was some argueing about actually having the fix done (I bought the car in Adelaide when I lived there and wasn't going to drive all the way back just to get the clutch fixed :angry: ) as they said they will only fix their own customers car out of courtesy...

Next time they quibble, remind them that Toyota have published that any Toyota dealer can assist with warranty repairs. I have it on page 20 of my service book.

squeeling will probably be the brakes not springs.

get them to readjust the brakes and set them up again. ( also tell them the brakes arnt working aswel as they used to. even if there fine.

gears will be clutch adjustment. but mine is still a little sticky even though ive had it fixed once and still not 100% but its alot better.

could also be your gear selector cables ( get toyota to replace them).

my car had also been recalled (they reckon) but after the dyno day was 7 to 15 kw @ the wheels less powerful than everyone else. so i told toyota and they replaced the ECU as they thought maybe the ecu was faulty. has heaps more power (feels it anyway) since the ecu was replaced.

tell em you had it dynoed and it was under 100kw at the wheels and that other were all over 100kw at the wheels then tell them to friggin fix it.

all the issues you have had been posted at one stage or another on this forum.

i also thought id got a dud but i love it to much to get rid of it. now its seems fine.

the last thing is you could (possibly ) fix your gearbox issues with a heavy duty clutch and flywheel most who have done this say they havnt had any probs with the gearbox since. but itll cost ya.

The whole situation just suxxx.....there shouldnt have been a problem in the first place....

Western Toyota can turn around and say to me you havnt been bringing it here for service (as i have been taking it to Terry Shields)....so we wont fix it...

..also...Terry shields can turn around and say you didnt buy it from us so we wont fix it...but then again i took it there for the recall and change for the ECU and they didnt say anything....

and even though i will take it to either one of the two they will tell me there isnt a problem...at low revs the gears change pefrectly....

but then again the car wasnt designed to change gears at low revs  :D

Dude, like I said Western Toyota are well aware of the problem and WILL fix it for you, just ring them up, tell them you bought it from them and they will fix it!!!

The guys there are good, I just had this one problem as I bought mine in Adelaide and there was nothing I could do, but they still sorted me out under warrantee even though they didn't have to.

I dont think it is the brakes..

the squeeking occurs when im not pressing the brakes....

only occurs when the car is rolling about 10km/h or so.

Its quite common, it happened to my 03 model, especially in the wet rolling backwards at a set of lights. Get the disks machined.

Ive had the left shocker replaced on the 03 model, the first series is more prone to brakes squeeling etc, especially after you wash your car. The 03 stivo still makes a grinding noise when braking after I drive it at high speeds(very high :D), the disks heat up not sure but its not a major major problem.

Hi guys,

Im new here. I have gone through your threads and read alot of things about the Corolla Sportivo.

Im at a stage where i am panicking...i dont know what to do.

I drive a Corolla Sportivo built December 2003.

I bought it brand new in March 2004...it has now got 30750 k's on it.

Ok the car got recalled...they replaced the chip...has anyone felt a difference? because i havnt...and i feel like toyota hasnt done anything..they only pretended to change it...

Also..for about the last 10000k's ive been getting squeeking noises from the wheels at low speeds..around 10km/h-15km/h...the noise sounds like someone is whistling..but it doesnt always happen..happens around 80% of the times i drive.

I recently took it for service and reported the problem...they said they oiled the suspension..but the problem still persists...im thinking maybe its the ballbearings....does anyone have any idea what this might be??

Also i have alot of trouble with my gear box. Especially changing from 1st into 2nd....i have to wait till the revs drop before i can change gears....they have been crunched so many times its not funny....

I have seen the letters and emails you guys have sent. Have got any replies yet?

Also do you suggest i write as well? if so can i have the details of the person i can contact?

Is the problem repairable under warranty??

Please advise me..as i feel (even though the car is very nice) that i have bought a heap of ****...

I dont know what to do.

For what its worth the only mod i have done to the car is throw in a TRD air filter.

apologies,

I've also just bought a sportivo, - August build & bought 3 weeks ago and have exactly the same problems you have - I have booked the car in for a fix in 2 weeks so will let you know what they do and how they fix it - I do however have my fingers crossed as I am pretty annoyed at the moment.

But the the problems I have are- :

1) cluth - feel the rotation of the clutch plate? through the pedal when depress the pedal;

2) gear changes are hard and notchy;

3) rattle from beneath the car when release the accelartor

4) I also have the whistling