Rav4 warning lights on hot days

TimD30

On hot days the P/S, VSC and ABS lights on my 2007 Rav4 come on and the Powersteering doesn't work and neither does the display on the panel that shows the time (although I can push buttons like the fan and the Air cond and they respond but ther is no visual indication of it).

By evening everything is back to normal and earlier in the morning all is OK too. I recently bought this car and the dealer is trying to fix it but it running out of ideas. They had the codes checked at Toyota twice with different results and they changed the ABS unit on advice from the Toyota dealer but to no avail. I changed the fuel cap as it seemed dodgy. It seemed to be good for a few days but is again back to showing the lights. These hot days are only around 32 degrees plus - which isn't unusual for a WA summer. I seem to be able to delay the problem longer by having the windows down to cool the cabin temp but it doesn't solve the issue.

The car drives perfectly well when the lights are not on.

Has anyone heard of this before - any ideas?

Update - one month later 2 Feb 2014.

I took the car back to the dealer in early January. It was sent to theToyota dealer they had the car for a week and apparently took the dash apart and found a loose connection under the dash somewhere. They then kept the car out in the sun on a very hot weekend (44 degrees C) and found no trouble and no codes.

I've had the car back for 3 weeks now and kept it parked in the sun on weekends and no problems.

So hopefully it is fixed now.

The dealer was great and persisted till it was fixed. Can't ask for more.

Edited by TimD30