Toyota Formula 1 Team

Did anyone watch the qualifying for the last race? I recorded it (2:30am) but thought it was a pretty good show. sucks how TEN is not showing it for the next race (hopes it comes back) <_< . and it'll be good if they show the races live too.. so i can have the live timing up at the same time :rolleyes:

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty much an F1 nutter too, i even take Mondays off on purpose for that reason :P

But Williams was a total surprise, i wasn't expecting them to be this competitive and what about the new Williams kid "Rosberg" in his debut F1 race, set the race record time time, charged up the field from behind (had to pit early due to an accident) and finished 7th in front of webber!

actually Webber finished 6th, in front of rosberg.

But even that the top teams are lapping around nearly as quick as last year when they had the V10s.

my belief is that the reason they are lapping near as quick times (need to find a comparo chart), would be due more to the fact that they are using grippier tyres (ability to change tyres during race) rather than aero changes..

oh.. any1 able to watch f1 qualy on sopcast? if so, what channels? i don't have cable/sat :(

I'm pretty much an F1 nutter too, i even take Mondays off on purpose for that reason :P

But Williams was a total surprise, i wasn't expecting them to be this competitive and what about the new Williams kid "Rosberg" in his debut F1 race, set the race record time time, charged up the field from behind (had to pit early due to an accident) and finished 7th in front of webber!

actually Webber finished 6th, in front of rosberg.

But even that the top teams are lapping around nearly as quick as last year when they had the V10s.

my belief is that the reason they are lapping near as quick times (need to find a comparo chart), would be due more to the fact that they are using grippier tyres (ability to change tyres during race) rather than aero changes..

oh.. any1 able to watch f1 qualy on sopcast? if so, what channels? i don't have cable/sat :(

oops, i thought rosberg was ahead :P wouldn't that be something if he did having to pit early! the thing with tyres are also quite true, its just a very interesting season.. will have to wait till the hot and humid Sepang to find out which teams are truly reliable, maybe Trulli and Ralf can find some form there for Toyota like last year :D

Edited by ZEEROLLA

actually.. how did zonta fair in the bahrain practice? i didn't notice his times being near the top, cos as we know, last yr he and wurz were trading fastest practice laps all season.

correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't the tyres the same compounds provided to ferrari?

if so, i think either aero or engine wise they are not doing quite so well.

Only TEN shows the F1.. and its delayed (10:30p)

Toyota are not allowed to use a third car in practice anymore cause they finished in the top 4 last season, so only ralf and trulli can run on fri and sat, and they will restrict their runs and revs (to save engine) so wont know their true form until qual and race.

It is the 1st time toyota has used bridgestones so i guess they need a bit of time to learn how to use them properly cause they had absolutely no grip in bahrain. im pretty sure its the aeros (but they did say they had enough downforce), I just hope its not the chassis. yet to find out how good the engine is but im pretty sure its "one of the best".

I hate Alonso..he speaks too much.

Best driver is Kimi Raikonnen

Toyota have got serious issues....they have a wind tunnel...they are even building a second...

and they cant even get their aero correct...idiots....starting to ***** me off...

I hate Alonso..he speaks too much.

Best driver is Kimi Raikonnen

Toyota have got serious issues....they have a wind tunnel...they are even building a second...

and they cant even get their aero correct...idiots....starting to ***** me off...

I share ur frustations too mate :angry: buts its only been one race (although its not looking up for sepang)

Dont like the whole renualt team to be honest fabio thinks he's top sh't and Fisichella is the biggest whinger, he even swore over the radio during the race, broadcasted to millions :lol: alonso is okay (cause he goin to Mclaren :P )

If Toyota cant get their speed back with new aeros (prob durin euro GPs) then it'll most likely that the chassis has serious issues ... which means Mike Gascoyne's head will roll :ph34r:

Jarno Trulli has described the disastrous start to his 2006 Formula 1 campaign with Toyota as "the worst moment in his career."

Trulli blamed the TF106's failure to generate heat in the Bridgesyone tyres as the reason for his and team-mate Ralf Schumacher's inability to finish higher than 16th and 14th respectively in the opening race of the season in Bahrain.

"It's especially difficult for me because I know the car is quick," Trulli told reporters ahead of the Malaysian Grand Prix, "it's just that we have got this problem that we can't get any heat in the tyres."

The Italian revealed that data suggested his tyres were 60 degrees cooler than their optimum operating temperature when they were taken off his car during pit stops last weekend.

"That is the lowest in the paddock," he said.

Schumacher hinted in the press conference on Thursday that he believed a quick fix might be possible for Sepang.

"For this race, there definitely is," he said.

"At the same time we have to admit that we still have to understand the reasons for Bahrain, and it still hasn't happened yet.

"We have a different tyre choice here. The track conditions should be a bit better for us so in general, yes, it should be a lot better here."

Trulli added that he believed that the team had a lot of hard work ahead of it, but that he expected Toyota to be a consistent front-runner by mid-season.

"We have to apologise for our performance in Bahrain," he said, "but give us a few races and we will bounce back."

Jarno Trulli has described the disastrous start to his 2006 Formula 1 campaign with Toyota as "the worst moment in his career."

Trulli blamed the TF106's failure to generate heat in the Bridgesyone tyres as the reason for his and team-mate Ralf Schumacher's inability to finish higher than 16th and 14th respectively in the opening race of the season in Bahrain.

"It's especially difficult for me because I know the car is quick," Trulli told reporters ahead of the Malaysian Grand Prix, "it's just that we have got this problem that we can't get any heat in the tyres."

The Italian revealed that data suggested his tyres were 60 degrees cooler than their optimum operating temperature when they were taken off his car during pit stops last weekend.

"That is the lowest in the paddock," he said.

Schumacher hinted in the press conference on Thursday that he believed a quick fix might be possible for Sepang.

"For this race, there definitely is," he said.

"At the same time we have to admit that we still have to understand the reasons for Bahrain, and it still hasn't happened yet.

"We have a different tyre choice here. The track conditions should be a bit better for us so in general, yes, it should be a lot better here."

Trulli added that he believed that the team had a lot of hard work ahead of it, but that he expected Toyota to be a consistent front-runner by mid-season.

"We have to apologise for our performance in Bahrain," he said, "but give us a few races and we will bounce back."

Not good!

If your driver is not happy and impressed and positive you are asking for a poor season!!!

Not good news here!

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in the following:

We start our own F1 mini-league!

Before each GP, ppl that wish to play picks any 2 drivers or a team (the 2 drivers for that team)

Drivers/team must be picked before midnite friday (ie after fri practice, b4 quali), but americas GP will need to adjust

And I will tally up the points after each race during the season

For example:

i picked Montoya and Button for Bahrain i'll have 9pts

And if RedLiner picked the McLaren team he'll have 10pts

We could also make it interesting like 1 bonus pt for pole, and another if ur driver wins.

But for now i think we'll just keep it simple

Ofcourse if u dont pick u'll miss out on that GP, but anyone can start anytime.

The member with the most points in the end gets crowned TOC F1 2006 Champ!! woohoo :D :D

I think its too late for the Malay GP, so we'll start on the good ol Aussie GP!

Let me know if ur interested (i dont want to be the only one playing :P )

i think this will spice things up a lil during the season.

Practice times from Sepang:

1. 36 DAVIDSON Honda M 1'35"041 209.960 Km/h

2. 35 WURZ Williams Cosworth B 1'35"388 + 0'00"347

3. 1 ALONSO Renault M 1'35"806 + 0'00"765

4. 6 MASSA Ferrari B 1'35"924 + 0'00"883

5. 3 RAIKKONEN McLaren Mercedes M 1'36"132 + 0'01"091

6. 2 FISICHELLA Renault M 1'36"182 + 0'01"141

7. 5 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari B 1'36"617 + 0'01"576

8. 12 BUTTON Honda M 1'36"661 + 0'01"620

9. 17 VILLENEUVE BMW Sauber M 1'37"045 + 0'02"004

10. 11 BARRICHELLO Honda M 1'37"270 + 0'02"229

11. 8 TRULLI Toyota B 1'37"317 + 0'02"276

12. 16 HEIDFELD BMW Sauber M 1'37"418 + 0'02"377

13. 38 KUBICA BMW Sauber M 1'37"457 + 0'02"416

14. 4 MONTOYA McLaren Mercedes M 1'37"463 + 0'02"422

15. 20 LIUZZI Toro Rosso Cosw. M 1'37"590 + 0'02"549

16. 14 COULTHARD RedBull Ferrari M 1'37"603 + 0'02"562

17. 7 R.SCHUMACHER Toyota B 1'37"695 + 0'02"654

18. 40 JANI Toro Rosso Cosw. M 1'37"831 + 0'02"790

19. 21 SPEED Toro Rosso Cosw. M 1'37"926 + 0'02"885

20. 9 WEBBER Williams Cosworth B 1'38"081 + 0'03"040

21. 10 ROSBERG Williams Cosworth B 1'38"205 + 0'03"164

22. 39 MONDINI Midland Toyota B 1'38"256 + 0'03"215

23. 15 KLIEN RedBull Ferrari M 1'38"644 + 0'03"603

24. 19 ALBERS Midland Toyota B 1'38"918 + 0'03"877

25. 37 DOORNBOS RedBull Cosworth M 1'39"105 + 0'04"064

26. 18 MONTEIRO Midland Toyota B 1'39"416 + 0'04"375

27. 22 SATO S. Aguri F1 Honda B 1'41"549 + 0'06"508

28. 23 IDE S. Aguri F1 Honda B 1'43"164 + 0'08"123

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in the following:

We start our own F1 mini-league!

Before each GP, ppl that wish to play picks any 2 drivers or a team (the 2 drivers for that team)

Drivers/team must be picked before midnite friday (ie after fri practice, b4 quali), but americas GP will need to adjust

And I will tally up the points after each race during the season

For example:

i picked Montoya and Button for Bahrain i'll have 9pts

And if RedLiner picked the McLaren team he'll have 10pts

We could also make it interesting like 1 bonus pt for pole, and another if ur driver wins.

But for now i think we'll just keep it simple

Ofcourse if u dont pick u'll miss out on that GP, but anyone can start anytime.

The member with the most points in the end gets crowned TOC F1 2006 Champ!! woohoo :D :D

I think its too late for the Malay GP, so we'll start on the good ol Aussie GP!

Let me know if ur interested (i dont want to be the only one playing :P )

i think this will spice things up a lil during the season.

Im keen if ur tallying points every time...i cant be bothered.

Yup i'll be keeping score

mmmm... half decent times from trulli (considering the last race) although he did run the most laps amougst the "racers".. the team sure do have alot of faith in the engine B)

Toyota Racing goes into tomorrow's Malaysian Grand Prix with hope of a strong performance despite a disappointing result in today's qualifying.

At a sweltering Sepang circuit on the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur, the TF106s showed improved pace compared to last week's Bahrain Grand Prix.

Unfortunately Ralf Schumacher suffered an engine failure when he was challenging strongly for the top ten so he will start from last but one.

Jarno Trulli was suffering from understeer, managing 13th quickest in the second phase of qualifying but he will start from ninth place due to a number of engine changes by the higher finishers. Toyota will now push hard to salvage a strong result in the race.

Jarno Trulli

"I'm obviously glad that we are showing a better performance here compared to Bahrain and especially that we're starting to get some information about how the tyres work. Obviously this afternoon was a difficult one for me because I suffered from major understeer throughout the sessions. This morning during free practice I tried some different directions with my set-up for the team. That meant I was unable to prepare my set-up for qualifying and the race as I normally would. Nonetheless I hope we can race well tomorrow. We will analyse the data and I hope we can sort out the balance overnight. That way we can look forward to a better Sunday afternoon than we had in Bahrain.

"

Ralf Schumacher

"It was a pity how things turned out today because we were showing much better pace than last week. It would have been good to be in the top ten here and I'm sure we could have improved further. We didn't have any warning about the engine until it suddenly let go. That can happen – especially at a tough circuit for engines like Sepang after we put in so much mileage at Bahrain. But at least our pace is looking a lot better. We expected that but now we can be sure about that fact as we can concentrate on tomorrow. Now I'm looking forward to a good race. We're starting at the back but we had some pretty good long runs in practice so we will try our best. It will be difficult but anything is possible."

Mike Gascoyne, Technical Director Chassis

"Ultimately that was a disappointing end to qualifying, but we also showed a lot of promise. The cars today looked much more competitive than we were in Bahrain, and the level of performance we showed is pretty much what we expected from the car before the season started. We made the tyre work better than in Bahrain by a combination of changes we made and the conditions here."

2006 Malaysian Grand Prix - Grid Positions

Pos Driver Team Time

1 Fisichella, G Renault 1'33.840

2 Button, J Honda 1'33.986

3 Rosberg, N Williams 1'34.626

4 Schumacher, M Ferrari 1'34.668

5 Webber, M Williams 1'34.672

6 Montoya, J McLaren 1'34.916

7 Räikkönen, K McLaren 1'34.983

8 Alonso, F Renault 1'35.747

9 Klien, C Red Bull 1'38.715

10 Schumacher, R Toyota No Time

11 Coulthard, D Red Bull 1'34.614

12 Barrichello, R Honda 1'34.683

13 Trulli, J Toyota 1'34.702

14 Villeneuve, J BMW 1'34.752

15 Heidfeld, N BMW 1'34.783

16 Massa, F Ferrari 1'35.091

17 Speed, S Toro Rosso 1'36.297

18 Liuzzi, V Toro Rosso 1'36.581

19 Albers, C Midland 1'37.426

20 Monteiro, T Midland 1'37.819

21 Sato, T Super Aguri 1'39.011

22 Ide, Y Super Aguri 1'40.720

add to that...

M Schumacher is relegated to 14th (engine change)

Coulthard 19th (engine)

Barrichello 20th (engine)

Massa 21st (2 engines)

Ralf 22nd (back of the grid as engine change is after Qualifying)

Latest grid:

1. Fisichella 2. Button

3. Rosberg 4. Webber

5. Montoya 6. Raikkonen

7. Alonso 8. Klien

9. Trulli 10. Villeneuve

11. Heidfeld 12. Speed

13. Liuzzi 14. M Schumacher

15. Albers 16. Monteiro

17. Sato 18. Ide

19. Coulthard 20. Barrichello

21. Massa 22. R Schumacher