Toyota Formula 1 Team

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toyota Motorsport Tecnical Director Engine Luca Marmorini talks of the new 2.4 litre V8 RVX-06 powerplant.

When did you start on the V8 project?

"When we had to decide our plan for the V8 we wanted to be able to test the engine in the car before the 2005 summer break. That was our target. Typically when you have a brand new engine you need roughly eight months for design and production and a further four months of development on the dyno. So eight months before February 2005, the planned date for the first dyno test, we started the design of the engine. After a while the FIA changed some dimensional constraints in the regulations, so we had to adapt our design around a fixed bore spacing, crankshaft height and some limitations like this. We had to start again, and instead of February, we moved to March. On 21 March, we fired it up."

How did the first track tests go?

"The first engine went in the interim car in July in Jerez. At the time we had to respect the agreement that said we could not run with more than two cars, so the V8 could only run when one of the V10 cars stopped. There was not a lot of time, but it was enough for us to do some tests and learn. We covered something like 1000kms over several days. It was just a very quick test, but we could already do some modifications during the August test ban, and we went back at the end of September with the first step, and we ran again for two days. Then there was the October ban, and at the end of November we were ready with what we called a raceable version of the engine."

How much has been carried over from the V10?

"As a philosophy we decided not to modify any working parts from the V10 unless it brought a clear performance benefit, or was an important modification. The 2.4-litre has the same unit displacement, so we carried over most of the internal parts. Some parts even have the same drawings as the V10. In this way we could focus on the new things of the V8, which means the dynamic behaviour. Toyota has a lot of experience in V8s from the USA, but we had not revved a V8 to 19,000rpm, so we had to focus on the new challenges. I think that was the right decision. If we had at the same time too many unknowns, including some problems we could have avoided, we could have compromised our development. If you could open the V8 and open the V10 and see them close you will understand that they've come from the same group of people, the same know-how."

What has changed most since that test in July?

"All the hydraulic system, the installation in the car, was done according to our experience with the V10. At that very first test in July we had big problems with the car systems because of this new vibrating machine. If the hydraulics start to fail, then you cannot use the throttle, so we had to modify everything. The V10 also vibrated, but our system was tuned to a certain level. The V8 was different, and we had to adjust mountings and so on. When we ran the TF106 in November we didn't have a single stop due to the engine installation, so we could focus on engine reliability and performance. On top of this the engine used in July was an engine that could not fit the 2006 car, so we had to apply some minor modifications to fit the new gearbox. But it's the same engine in terms of key components and internal parts."

For the first time there's a minimum weight regulation of 95kgs. How did you adjust to that constraint?

"Let's put it this way. If you weighed the engine that ran on the dyno in March 2005, it was much more of a Formula 1 engine than the engine we're running now, in terms of weight. The internal parts are the same, but the one that ran in March was done with 2005 technology, thin wall castings and so on, so it was very light. To give you an example, the V10 we raced in 2005 could not fulfil the new regulations for the V8! So we had to add weight. We put material on castings, as there's no chance now to have thin wall castings where we don't need them. At the same time we integrated the functions of the engine to be sure that we could also collect weight for functional parts."

How closely have you worked with the chassis team?

"An F1 engine is a part of the car. An engine is not good if it's not well introduced into the car. You never win in this way. When we start a new engine we are sitting with the chassis people, and a lot of the input on the specifications of the new engine have come from chassis. Chassis design also takes into account the engine's working conditions. We've done a lot of modifications of the engine, trying to help the car. The engine is a big spacer, and the exhausts are a big volume, around which the aero people have to design a good car. So we are always in contact with them to try to help them design a better car, and at the same time we have to design a car that is cooling enough. Doing everything under the same roof is a huge benefit."

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

The winter test programme has finally come to an end today for the Toyota Racing team. When the tests began back in November 2005, the new TF106 was introduced in Barcelona and with it came a serious of important test items. Comprising a new rear-end, modified front suspension, new specification RVX-06 engine and new Bridgestone tyres, the entire team faced a series of unknowns, but before the year came to a close, the results began to show promise.

When testing resumed in January at the Circuito Permanente de Jerez, it was clear that the main focus of testing until the race season would be on the Bridgestone tyres and the reliability of the new V8 engine. Many tyre variations and compounds were tried and tested, even though the weather in the south of Europe did not always present race-simulation conditions. Nevertheless, the team pushed on and worked hard to collect important data while adding mileage to the engines.

Finally, in line with the Toyota Way policy of continuous improvement, the team introduced the latest developments from its 50%-scale Cologne-based wind tunnel: the new and highly anticipated aerodynamic package. On Valentine's Day, the team tested at a cold and rainy Vallelunga circuit near Rome to gain results from the new aerodynamic elements for the first time outside of the wind tunnel. The cold weather did not drown out the team's good spirits and in the end, the expectations for the new car had been met.

Now the winter test season comes to a close and the teams will head to Bahrain to see who has done their homework over the last eight weeks. New engines, new qualifying format and tyre changes will definitely make this season more interesting, yet strategically challenging for each team. Toyota Racing will gear up and journey towards the desert kingdom having gained a lot of mileage and experience; when calculating a combined total of 4,635 laps from the two TF106s beginning with the first test on 29 November 2005 up to and including this test, this equates to 20,307km!

Today Ralf Schumacher and Jarno Trulli were third and fourth fastest of the four cars present at Valencia with best laps of 1:11.121s and 1:12.163s respectively.

Ralf Schumacher

"Today we worked on tyre balance set-ups and some race test items. After having pushed hard the whole day, we made it through all the test items so that we could end the day early. At the moment everything is running positively and as planned. We can be happy with the achievement that we have made until now. The car is performing well and we will see in Bahrain if we really are heading in the right direction."

"After all this testing in winter, I feel that we are ready and I am rather optimistic, but as I have said before it is difficult to see where we stand in comparison to everyone else. The car is consistent and reliable, I feel good driving it, and now I will head to Bahrain on Wednesday, where the season will finally get underway. Just like everyone else in Formula One, our aim is to win races and I think we will have quite an interesting year in 2006."

Jarno Trulli

"Today we continued to test some tyres to understand their behaviour. This was our final chance to make preparations for the first race, like testing slow safety car and formation laps. We feel that we are ready for the first race, but it is difficult to say how competitive we are."

"I can only say that the team has done a good job with the testing and the organisation was perfect. Although we had some bad weather over the last tests, we have achieved some consistent running. We aim to improve on last year's performance and to take a further step forward – we have to believe in this and live it. The team is always developing, fighting, and sharing the same feeling that we do our best and hope to win a race."

Gerd Pfeiffer, Test Team Manager

"During the whole winter as well as today, we have tried to test the reliability of the car, the aerodynamics, various set-ups and tyre compounds for the first races. Today we have done a lot of long runs, focusing on race preparations, such as qualifying laps and tyre behaviour. The drivers have been motivated throughout the whole programme and have proved very helpful in the development of the new cars. I think we can be happy with the progress and the stage that we have reached with the test programme. With every kilometre driven, we gained useful information and have a good understanding of the cars and their performance."

• 2 weeks later...

The Bahrain Grand Prix, inaugural race of the 2006 Formula 1 World Championship season, was a character-building event for the entire Panasonic Toyota Racing team, as Ralf Schumacher finished the 57- lap race in 14th place with team mate Jarno Trulli 16th.

The TF106 was struggling for grip all weekend and hopes that the team would have stronger race pace than shown in qualifying did not materialise. The decision was taken to split the strategies, with Ralf running a three-stop race and Jarno a two, so that as much data as possible could be collected.

"We were obviously hoping to start the season much more positively," Schumacher explained, "but faced with the situation we found ourselves in, we elected to maximise the set-up information that we will take away from here in order to give ourselves as much help as possible for the forthcoming races."

At one point early in the race the two TF106s ran close together on the circuit and Jarno allowed Ralf to pass so that he could take advantage of his car's lighter fuel load.

"That was a tough afternoon," Trulli admitted. "I was pushing very hard throughout the race but the more I tried, the slower I seemed to go. We could not put our finger on anything specifically wrong with the car, we just did not have any grip. It'd hard to race in those circumstances and we will obviously work hard as a team to solve our problems for the forthcoming races."

The Sakhir race was won by defending champion Fernando Alonso for Mild Seven Renault F1 Team, who narrow beat Michael Schumacher's Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro car. Kimi Raikkonen finished third for Team McLaren Mercedes, ahead of Jenson Button's Honda. Juan Pablo Montoya's McLaren, the Williams F1 Team cars of Mark Webber and F1 debutant Nico Rosberg, and Christian Klien's Red Bull completed the point scorers.

Reflecting on a tough 2006 baptism, Technical Director, Chassis, Mike Gascoyne, said: "We expected that we would have stronger race pace. We've done lots of long runs in testing, we've compared all the data with our rivals and we know where we should be but we were nowhere near it. At the moment we don't know what our problem is. When you looked at our tyres afterwards they looked brand new. Bridgestone is as surprised as we are and it is clearly no criticism of them because their tyres finished second and nearly won the race. But clearly we did not make the tyre work. We have asked Bridgestone if, with the help of their data, they can give us any clue as to what we are doing wrong. It is unusual for the drivers to tell you that they are slow but that there is nothing wrong with the car. It's not as if we think we don't have downforce or anything like that, so hopefully we can get on top of the problem."

This year's F1 schedule starts with tough back-to-back intercontinental flyaway races, with round two at the hot and humid Sepang circuit in Malaysia in just seven days time.

Hi Guys

Just found out bout this thread :D cause i have been a huge Toyota F1 fan for the last 3yrs

And it was good to see them do so well last season.

But i must say i was shocked by last nites race. i knew they wont be challenging the front runners from their times during practice and quali.. but i thought during the race they will be at least in the mid field and not back markers :angry: hope they will be better at sepang but its only a few days away so might have a repeat :(

PS and how good was Kimi.. 22 to 3rd B)

Oh and just to show wat a F1 nut im.. i watch every lap of every race (even the US/canada/brazil ones at 2-3am) :D

Edited by DHC09

Im the same...u should go to melbourne and watch the thing live...

its a great experience that i recommend everyone do once in a lifetime....

i went last year...first time i heard v10 reving to 19000rpm....i got goosebumps..followed by a cold chill through my body..then the biggest grin on my face from ear to ear....

If Toyota doesnt get speed soon...questions will be asked...they have the biggest budget..looks like they have blown it...

and the last time u'll hear v10's @ 19000 :(

wanted to go this yr but gf is moving house and $ is need for that..

would've gone to msia instead providing it's cheaper (which it is) but again too close to house moving :/

1 last chance to hear the v10's! even at 16500!

on another note, the v8's just don't sound the same. (wasn't expecting to, but can't help but be disappointed at the sound).

any1 has a sound bite of the champ car/indy/f1 v8's? would be interesting.

Yeah i actually was goin to head down the the mel. GP this yr but they changed the time (bloody comm.games) so then didnt have free time. ONE DAY. but i really want to go to the Jap one as well. last yr Jap GP was "one of the best".

Hope toyota can do well in europe at least cause they did all their testing there in the colder climate

but last yr they were so good in the hot (bahrain/sepang) :unsure:

appearantly the V8's dun sound too bad either B)

I'm pretty much an F1 nutter too, i even take Mondays off on purpose for that reason :P

It was a very interesting race. My analysis is there will be 5 possible teams fighting for podium and wins this year - Ferrari, Renault, Mclaren, Williams and Honda. If you look at best laps and lap times closely these 5 times are seperated by less than 0.4secs!!! Average speeds are also pretty much on par with each other (of course individual downforce comes into play). But Williams was a total surprise, i wasn't expecting them to be this competitive and what about the new Williams kid "Rosberg" in his debut F1 race, set the race record time time, charged up the field from behind (had to pit early due to an accident) and finished 7th in front of webber! Now that's impressive for a rookie. That Cosworth engine hauls too (capable of 20,000rpm) so watch them! However they are down on sponsers so as the grand prix season progresses we might see other teams with more sponsors edge ahead from more R&D and $$ investment.

I am a Honda F1 Racing Team fan (also Toyota F1 fan if Honda happens to be low on form :P), i was disappointed by their result (even with 5 points). I would have liked to see Reubens being more competitive although he was plaqued by an ailing gearbox and even with that he split the 2 Toyotas!! He held up Jenson at the start but thats due to Jenson's poor start (blame the clutch he says?) but he ran a good race, being just 19 secs off Alonso at the end and 0.7secs from a podium. Lap times also looked good for Honda being up there with Renault, Ferrari and Mclaren. Just unlucky for Jenson really, Kimi's 1 stopper spoiled his otherwise faultless strategy. Was great to see Jenson pass Montoya at the end of the straight into turn 1 TWICE though :)

As for Toyota i would actually put the blame on the engine. Look at their Average Speed - 205km/h, 206km/h compared to the top teams 210km/h average, no wonder they are slow and say nothing is wrong. Maybe too much downforce but then their lap times and tyre wear doesn't say that. Anyhow, we will find out in 6 days i guess, Bring On Sepang!!! :D

Edited by ZEEROLLA

I'm pretty much an F1 nutter too, i even take Mondays off on purpose for that reason :P

I have an understanding that I am alowed to be late on Monday mornings... :)

was suprised by the lack of pace of the Toyotas though. They were even behing the Midland (sister engined car) at one stage. Not a good start for the factory team...

But a great start for Renault and Ferrari, Honda not bad but reliabilty poor. Williams also performed pretty well and very quick!!!

well the main reason toyota was so slow is that the car did not work the tyres AT ALL!

i mean "looks brand new" after the race :blink:

Which means the aeros are not doin its job.

I still have faith in the toyota engine, but i've never been quite convinced bout their aeros (even though they are in constant development). ;) they beta get some new parts for sepang!! :angry:

my fav top running team is McLaren (and Ferrari :P )

not a big fan of renault but alonso is just too good and dont like honda cause they're toyota rival :P :lol::lol:

Would i be correct in saying that the 2006 motors are 2.4 V8's!

except for the toro rosso which is running a restricted and rev limitted Cosworth V10 and the ex Jaguar chassis (ie last years Red Bull)

yeah true! the motors are obviously lighter. But the cars seem sleeker this year! good aerodynamics!

as the V8 is more compact they have been able to sculpt the bodywork better so there is less drag now with

Would i be correct in saying that the 2006 motors are 2.4 V8's!

except for the toro rosso which is running a restricted and rev limitted Cosworth V10 and the ex Jaguar chassis (ie last years Red Bull)

yeah true! the motors are obviously lighter. But the cars seem sleeker this year! good aerodynamics!

as the V8 is more compact they have been able to sculpt the bodywork better so there is less drag now with

Oh ok i never knew the toro's still had V10s. Oh well guess they are at a disadvantage.

but the toro V10 has more torque coming out of the turns and therefore make up the time. oh and V10 are more reliable since V8s are so new.

Theres plenty of F1 teams thats not happy bout toro using V10's cause that loophole was to allow pov teams (minardi) to save money on V8 and use V10, but red bull is far from pov.

but the toro V10 has more torque coming out of the turns and therefore make up the time. oh and V10 are more reliable since V8s are so new.

Theres plenty of F1 teams thats not happy bout toro using V10's cause that loophole was to allow pov teams (minardi) to save money on V8 and use V10, but red bull is far from pov.

i sure as hell wouldnt be happy!!!!but lets see what happens.